All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's
Post a reply

Do you believe in faeries ??

Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:23 pm

Well ?? Do you ??

That is the irish spelling of fairy - and there is a reason I am using the Irish version today, less than 2 weeks out from St Patricks Day....

You see, with a bit of a dash of the luck of the Irish, and some help from the faeries down the bottom of the garden......today I managed to change this - yes, that is 2 slabs of Kilkenny ........

into THIS !!!! and its the right colour to celebrate St Patricks day and everything - begorrah !!! :lol: :lol:

Yes punters - this the the 1971 S1 250/3 that a few of the CDT members were told about. Old mate offered me this bike last year for 2.5k. I told him I was interested but no cash, try me next year. So he did - sent me a message about a week before the CDT and offered to gift me the bike - plus spares (oh yeah there are spares) - for a case of Kilkenny. Being the generous prick that I am - I got him 2 :lol: :lol:

The bike is pretty much 98% complete and original. Down to all the OEM cable locators on fork legs, downtubes - that sort of thing. It is missing the rubber boots from the carbies to the airbox - but it does have the airbox ! Handlebar is not original.......and I struggled to find anything else today that wasn't. It needs a good detailing - but even the exhausts are 100% original and complete, no rust holes and no dents !!!! FMD its a corker.

Here are some pics of the spares. I almost fell over when he got these out of the shed for me :shock:

NOS handgrips, brand-new repro switchblocks, good replica mirrors, new keys, NOS fuel tank cap, NOS kickstarter lever rubber and gear lever rubber.......

Complete top-end and bottom-end gasket kits

NOS throttle cable, clutch cable and front-brake cable......all genuine Kawasaki :kuda:

Genuine complete sticker kit - tank,both sidecovers and ducktail - in OEM colours.....

and last but not least - NOS alternator cover ( just fucking gold) - and a NOS OEM instrument cluster housing and dash light assembly !!!! I can get the dash area looking like brand-new with these bits :P

The best version of the S1 I reckon, was the Pearl White model. Here is a pic ....

Plans for this bike are really simple. Paul from Redback Race Paint ( the same guy who did the Shadowfax paint job and the MFP12) - will be getting the tank, sidecovers and duck-tail for some loving. Its a simple job, Pearl White, with the stickers attached and clear over.

I am simply going to give the bike a really good detail, fit up the new parts and get it running ( good comp but will need replacement ignition system). This will be my go-to bike for local VJMC rides ( short ones anyway) - the z650 has club reg and is a good bike for longer rides. The club rego that I got on my other S1 250 - the little race-bike - will be transferred across to this one.

So there you go. This is going to be the only new addition to the 4th this year, getting this bike for a couple of slabs of Kilkenny has been very fortuitous I think ;)

If you didn't believe in faeries before - well maybe you should. Have a great St Patricks day - I know I will :lol: :lol:

Re: Do you believe in faeries ??

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:11 pm

Everyone hates you. Just saying. ;) :lol:

How do you keep finding these damn bikes? I truly believe this 4th dimension of yours must be a Tardis. It is the only logical explanation I can find that allows for one person to be able collect period bikes in excellent condition, and have the appropriate space to store them.

Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:15 pm

OR.... Kilkenny is really expensive at your local bottle-o

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:46 pm

dutchy wrote:.....OR.... Kilkenny is really expensive at your local bottle-o.......

funny you should mention that :lol:

When I asked old mate at the bottle-o where it was - he showed me and said they were on special for $65 a case instead of the usual $72.

So I grabbed 2 cases - when the cashier rung it up - she charged me $144 for the 2 cases.......I asked her if that was the right price because the floor dude had said $65 ???

So she looked it up - came back to the till and said "I can do even better on those - how about $54.95 each ? " who am I to argue ?? :lol: :lol: so got the 2 slabs for $110 instead of $144 :kuda:

Gotta love that :D

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:51 pm

You just keep coming up aces. :lol:

Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:56 pm

... sweet find Gos :D

Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:02 pm

The white pearl can park next to the black pearl

Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:33 pm

Very nice pickup Gos. Well done mate.

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:27 pm

$55 a carton is a great deal. Still not as good a deal as the bike.
We'll done on both deals :lol:

Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:37 pm

Wattie wrote:......The white pearl can park next to the black pearl......

:lol: :lol: nice .......well I have some further good news about this latest addition to the stable.......

You know, there is absolutely nothing better - than messing about with old motorcycles. Kawasaki motorcycles in general - and old triples in particular !!

Yes folks, after a bit more than 24 hours tucked into the 4th and a few hours whispering like mad - at 9.40pm tonight - the little S1 roared into life !! I spent a few hours today cleaning up the usual suspects - fuel tap first (totally full of crap but it cleaned up really well) - and the carbies. All the float bowels were full of a really oily residue - NFI how long since this bike had started ?? But the carbs cleaned up all fine and in further good news, once the tank had some fresh juice - nil leakage from any of the carbie bowls.

The old ignition system was pretty much rooted - even though this arvo it gave a fart and a kick-back through the kickstarter - but nil spark at all by late arvo.......so I swapped out the good system from my other S1 - the track bike. This was all it needed. Had to re-time a couple of cylinders which were a bit out.......

Many kicks and almost-starts - fouled plugs which had to be cleaned over and over again - a couple of times I hit the plug-holes with the air duster to blow out a heap of oily crap out of each cylinder ......and when it fired up on all 3 well FMD Cletus - yes there was smoke !!! hahahahah. #1 cylinder was the worst - pretty normal if the bike is left on its sidestand for any length of time.

I gave it a good 10 minutes of running, with a few good blasts and once it had warmed up well - it revved out really well and filled the garage and half the neighbouring suburb with lovely stinky goodness :kuda: :kuda: :kuda: :kuda:

here are some shots of the thermonuclear carnage which engulfed our suburb tonight .......no shit, down the street it looked like a London fog !!!! hahahaahahha

8)

Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:02 pm

Love your work :lol:

Mon Mar 10, 2014 5:20 pm

gold! well worth the cost of admission!

Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:18 pm

well in further good news - did a bit more tidying up today, wired in a temporary ignition switch until a replacement is found - got the indicators and lights working etc. Started 2nd kick this morning - excellent result on old plugs.

This evening - I went for a bit of a strop around the local streets clutch worked fine, gearbox a bit tight but I think that is more to do with the linkage mechanism - but the bike ran well and left a nice smoky trail behind it gotta love that. Brakes a bit grabby but some new shoes will sort that out.

So far so good. Some more very minor work needed before any club rides..........and seeing that cloud of 2-stroke behind the bike took me straight back to 1980 and my RD350B !! :kuda:

Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:45 pm

Good pickup Gos and only having to do minimal work to have it up and running , its also a shame you threw that second slab in as you could be sitting back know really celebrating how you ripped that poor bugger off :lol: :lol:

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:33 pm

:lol: not sure I have the taste for Kilkenny mate ......

Old mate was pretty happy with the swap, he only expected 1 slab so was pleasantly suprised that I got him 2 :kuda:. He told me when I picked the bike up, that he just did not have the bits needed nor any real contacts to get onto old stuff - he has a number of other projects going as well - so he was just happy knowing that the little jigger was going to a good home.......

Paint job over winter I think. Should look really nice once it gets a few coats of Pearl White and the sticker kit all finished.......

Google 'S1 250 triple' and click 'images' !! :kuda: :kuda: there is a familiar picture on the top row ;)
Post a reply