All Old Skool kawasaki discussion - pre 90's
Post a reply

The new addition - Period 4 - S1 250 triple !!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:03 pm

Here is the birthday present I shouted myself yesterday.............it was listed at the beginning of the week, and looked pretty tidy.

It was also local ( next suburb) - which was very convenient....

It is also eligible for the Period 4 (Post Classic) 250 class - which means I can race it at in the same events as MickLC (and Steve Kairl and also Billy when he is there), but in its own class - which appeals to me greatly :lol: :kuda:

The S1 250 is the smallest of the kawasaki triple family, and was first released in 1972 - (just making it eligible for Period 4.) Here is what a stock S1 looks like............

They run an under-square motor, with 45mm bore and 53.2mm stroke, for a capacity of 249cc. Power output was only 28hp at 8,500rpm. Dry weight was 149.5kg. Light as a feather really !! :lol: Top speed (stock) was just under the ton (154kmh). 22mm carbs ! :shock: tiny little jiggers they are.......

(Interestingly, the much-more powerful S2A - the 350/3 of 1972 with 45hp :twisted: - used the same crank (yay) but with a 53mm bore......so a set of S2 barrels can (and indeed will) be fitted to the S1 bottom end.........in the fullness of time.....)

This is what I nabbed off ebay yesterday..........

Went around and had a look at the little jigger this afternoon with PC ( we needed a break from fence patrol ). Old mate selling this could start it with just a push from his arm ! :shock: ( he is in a wheelchair recovering from a big bike prang).

The seat/ducktail combo looks much better in the flesh, and I actually felt comfortable sitting on this bike - although that was with stock footpegs which will have to be moved for racing.......

It is pretty rough around the edges though. Needs a massive detail and some work before I can get a roadworthy and concessional rego. But - it runs, idles well, has some great hand-made custom expansion chambers that are all tucked in neatly and sound *phat*. Most of the stock parts are there, although some changes have been made. The bike is fitted with later-model kawasaki mags, with a disc brake front & rear. It is also running larger S2 carbs (24mm). There is a complete Z500 front end that comes with the bike, and a drum-brake rear mag as well. I will have to change the wheels to spoke wheels for P4 eligibility - complete with drum brakes :shock: :shock: (in better news - P4 bikes can also run on methanol - so I will arrive at a corner far quicker than the P5 bikes - just with no brakes ! :lol: )

Spent about twice as much as I usually do on an old dunger - but S1's are pretty thin on the ground these days, especially with hand-made chambers like this - and it's nice to have book-ends in the triple collection.....

See you on the track S c a g :twisted: :twisted:

Re: The new addition - Period 4 - S1 250 triple !!

Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Great pickup mate...good b'day prezzy... :kuda:

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:07 am

It looks like it has some lovely potential!
Get it out there.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:34 am

Nice new addition :kuda: Nothing like buying yourself a birthday present. :D

Sun Apr 17, 2011 7:50 am

Some people wont see past all the bling, glitz and glam, but I do.... AWESOME!! :kuda:

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:35 am

Nice ride mate, happy birthday... personally, I would have gone with a busa :kuda:

Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:58 am

Nice work, mate.

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:07 am

thats awesome goz looking forward to seeing you out there, its going to be a weapon!

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:29 am

nice Gos - happy belated bday btw ;)

Sun Apr 17, 2011 11:50 am

Nice one Gos :kuda:

Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Nice pick up Gos, I look forward to the reno thread. Perhaps you will be doing 2 classes, 250 & 750?

Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:48 pm

nice Gos

but does this mean the Jag gets pushed further back into the shed? :lol:

Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:01 pm

You spoil yourself too much! :D

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:41 pm

Nice pickup Gos, looks the goods for a P4 racer ;)

Sun Apr 17, 2011 8:43 pm

whats playing the drums got to do with brakes? :? :lol:
Post a reply