zx2r engine transplant

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

zx2r engine transplant

Postby tomo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:48 pm

hi guys newbi to ksrc

the story so far, i bought a 1990 zxr2 gray import with 15k km's and every thing was fine for a while until i noticed a rattle from the engine. i took it to the mechanics and reckons that it coming from a main bearing in the gear box (not to sure of specific part). also he reckons compression was down and the motor was probibly to far gone for repairs.he suspects they are not original km's because its fairly clapped out so he thinks a straigh engine swap would be the easiest and probibly cheapest but he wasnt sure on compatable engines.

i was wondering which engines i can swap it with and if there is any difference with the later model motors. also a round about price i should be looking for.

cheers guys any help you can give me would be great.

tomo.
tomo

Bike: ZX2R
State: South Australia

Re: zx2r engine transplant

Postby MadKaw » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:10 pm

I don't thonk there was any major changes to the zxr250 over its life so any year engine may do.

But
Have you thought about a zxr400 engine..?
No idea if it will fit but its worth looking into.. :kuda:
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby robracer » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Dont know about the chances of getting a 400 donk.....they are pretty thin on the ground :?
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Ratmick » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 pm

Ah the joys of owning a 19yo high-revving small-capacity 4-cylinder grey import...

As Dave said I think they're all much of a muchness.

You could always try: http://www.findapart.com.au

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Mick 8)
Last edited by Ratmick on Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Postby dave#3 » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:51 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if you were looking at about $2K for a second-hand runner from a wrecker (if they've got one) with 3 month warranty. Private would be cheaper (there was a guy flogging one here a while back) if you can find one. A rebuild might be about the same $$, but done well will probably outlast your second-hand engine.

Have you had a second mechanic have a look at it (or do you really trust the guy you're dealing with). A couple of the young guys with zx2r's have had a few problems with some pretty ordinary advice lately. Where are you located?
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000

Postby tomo » Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:10 pm

i live in adelaide, ive taken it to three places and the first two didnt really want any thing to do with it. the third guy said he had worked on a couple of zx2r's and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. i know a little bit about engines and he didnt sound like he was spinning shit but then again you can never be to sure.
tomo

Postby mike-s » Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:54 pm

talk to this chap,drained of fluids a bike transporter (or courier?) may be able to transport it for you for a decent rate. Or there may be a auto shop that may be able to organise the transport for you if needed.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Saki » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:43 am

zx10r crim motor fit perhaps ? :kuda:
ZX-2R '88 -> ZX636 '06 -> ZX-9R '99 -> ZX-10R '04 -> Z1000 '03 -> ZX-10R '04 -> ZX-10R '08
Saki
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Western Australia

Postby robracer » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:24 am

What MadKaw's? .........yeah... should try it when the gearbox is fixed ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby timmyrocks » Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:04 am

the 400 motor will be a tricky fit and probably even trickier to find. :)
i found a zxr250 motor off a 1998 with 15,000 klms from a qld wrecker for under a grand with 3 month warranty and has been fine :D
i think the name was brisbane bike wreckers (they even delivered it included in the cost) i found them on ebay :)
anyone can go fast in a straight line,,,,

Team Crash "09"

TE310 2011 Husqvarna trail bike :)
WR125 2004 Husqvarna :P
timmyrocks
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby Nosferatu » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:55 pm

you could try and get in touch with this mob, International Motorcycle Importers. They are in Victoria, so not too far away. I had the same prob when I was in Adelaide, no one wanted to know about a grey import. Too hard to work on apparently, so one tosser told me. If you have your heart set on a reconditioned engine and you can't find one elsewhere, you may have to bit the bullet and get it from (gag gag) Sumoto. They have them for around a grand, not including carbies i think. I would use that as a last resort though. Try fixing it yourself first.
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle.
Nosferatu
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

State: Queensland

Postby craig » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:38 pm

internat m/cycle importers (ferntreegully rd guess scoresby vic) used to bring in zxr250's and aust complianced them for several other dealers i believe. give em a ring tho they no longer import 2fiddys, but do still carry parts .....maybe engines......... the're moving into other bikes cos of lams ...
craig
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Victoria

Postby zx2rjake » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:53 pm

i take my little bike to 'Japanese motorcycles and dismantlers' on churchill rd. they see a few of these things come thru, and do rebuilds at a decent price. id recomend having a chat to them. shud go for a cruise when ya get it sorted.
zx2rjake

Postby Kwakka Kilt » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:26 pm

What about the Balius 250 motor, is'nt it the same but with different cams, and a " Decorative " set of cooling fins on the cylinder head ??

They are sold in AUS as a local bike, could be a possible route to go down to source a swap .....
ZEN and the art of trying to get my *%&^$ motor to work ..... Where's my Tap and Die set again ????
- Pass me the Angle Grinder nurse.
Kwakka Kilt
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby gazza2008au » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:03 pm

if u cant find anyone to rebuild it send it to mick dyer motorcycles in penrith (sydney) he more than welcomes grey imports he has been fantastic fixed two of my ZXR250's only taking from 2 to 3 days to fix the bikes and has them running sweeeeeeeeeeet :kuda: if u wanna do the rebuild your self PM me with your email address and i will send u the work shop manual i have in PDF form its only basic but tells u the important things spec's,timing,how to strip the engine down etc... with pictures

What about the Balius 250 motor, is'nt it the same but with different cams, and a " Decorative " set of cooling fins on the cylinder head ??

They are sold in AUS as a local bike, could be a possible route to go down to source a swap .....
spot on about the balius i was hunting down parts EVERY WHERE in sydney all the shops keeped telling me "we dont stock those bike parts and cannot order them in unless its a australian delivery model" than i finally found a shop in sydney the spare parts guy spoke to the mechanic and he confirmed that a 97-98 model balius shares the same motor as a ZXR250 and ALL engine parts can be ordered and will fit the ZXR250 as the balius must have been an australian delivered model?
gazza2008au
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX7R

Next

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion