2003 z1000

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

2003 z1000

Postby grundor » Fri Sep 30, 2016 8:11 pm

Hey Guys and Girls,

Long time lurker not much of a contributor but wondering if there are any Z1000 experts out there?

About 6 months ago i bought a poor old neglected 2003 Z1000 that had just been left to decay in an outdoor unit parking lot for twelve months. Primarily i bought it to ride to work and back but fallen in love again with bikes. I posted it on the fb page and it actually used belong to a members wife. Happy i rescued it but boy has it had its issues.

So the list of repairs and maintenance so far since April are;

New fork oil and seals
Steering Head Bearings
Oil and filters
Fuel Pump replaced
Reg Rec
Stator winding
Battery
Plugs replaced
New rear tyre
Replaced a split coil pack

At first when it got warm and fan came on it started to miss, got gradually worse until i found a split coil pack. Replaced the coil pack and in the process of extracting the plugs i unbolted the thermostat from the frame as well as the surrounding wiring including the black map sensor. Cleaned the plugs up and put it all together as it was . did not want to run or idle and fouled the plugs immediately. Pulled the plugs again and began the trouble shooting process on all the obvious places.

Checked and ok'd the following

Coil packs
Plugs new
All grounds and continuity
Coolant temp sensor (on thermostat near radiator cap) checked resistance range
same on air temp sensor
Removed,cleaned, checked for butterfly valves operating correctly on the throttle body
Checked the tps and secondary sensor ( if you remove will make run leaner i have learned )
check battery voltage whilst running.

After running the bike to work and only getting just over 100 ks from a tank and running extremely rich puffing black smoke a went through and double checked all the above. The bike was acting like it was stuck on cold start .( run rich when cold until a certain temp is reached then switch to normal running as per most efi bikes and car systems right?) So i retraced my steps and did a bit of research and just started unplugging all the loom as it was running to see what made a difference. Bingo so i thought! I unplugged the MAP sensor relay ( little black relay bolted to the frame near the thermostat ) and the bike idle and revving seem to be smoothed out. Still running really rich but no where as bad as it was. I get off the bike and i stink of fuel and exhaust fumes still and fuel mileage is nowhere near the normal 180 to 200 klm i usually get from a tank.

Could this map Sensor been damaged when i moved it to gain access to the plugs and are they that sensitive to being handled? anyone have a spare i can swap out to test???

Bike is stock , Stock pipes and no Power commander etc.

Any help would be appreciated troubleshooting this issue or if someone has come across this before.

Regards,

Shayne

FZR250
GSXR600
ZX7R

Z750
ZX636R
ZX10R
Z1000
grundor
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Re: 2003 z1000

Postby Phil » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:55 pm

Sorry mate, I have sold my 03 so I cant help out with swapping stuff out. Sounds weird, I have got no idea what the problem could be.
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby grundor » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:10 pm

It was the vacuum line leading to the air intake pressure sensor
FZR250
GSXR600
ZX7R

Z750
ZX636R
ZX10R
Z1000
grundor
Warming up
Warming up

Postby paulsj » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:25 pm

Nice t/shooting love it when it turns out to be the cheap option! Can be hard to find some of the simplest issues though!!!

hope shes running sweet not and getting afew more k's to the tank :kuda:
paulsj
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Victoria

Postby grundor » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Yeah I hate it when people don't post what the solution was. Didnt want to be that guy and hope it helps someone in the future. Thanks guys and girls :kuda:
FZR250
GSXR600
ZX7R

Z750
ZX636R
ZX10R
Z1000
grundor
Warming up
Warming up