Michelin road 2 tyres

Z, ZRX, ER & other naked bikes. Get naked in here.!

Re: Michelin road 2 tyres

Postby Peter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:57 am

[quote="Strika"]If you are speaking of the Michelin Pilot Road 2, 2CT ???? I've used a few sets and reckon they are PFG personally. But each to their own!

Whats the difference between Road 2's and 2CT"s ??
Peter
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z1000
State: Queensland

Postby Wattie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 8:11 am

Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Six Addict » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:48 am

pilot road 2 or pilot power 2CTs..

michelin's names confuse everybody lol
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Wattie » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:51 am

there is 3 sport tyres generally.

pilot road (hard) pilot power(medium) pilot Race(soft)

then they became dual compound and they basicly got a 2 behind them or a 2ct.
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby TopCat » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:54 pm

Phil wrote:The M3's turn much quicker than the old M1, thats about all I can tell you Tony as I only use Metzler's - have done for 13 odd years.

Big Guy has the Diablo Rosso on his ZRX, from the few short goes I have had on his I'm not sure if they turn slower or its just the way his bike is setup compared to mine

Thanks Phil. I've had M1 / M3s for the past 5-6 yrs. I had Pilelli Phantoms on a GPZ750 back in '83, used to run a rear on the front. Great tyre. I'm getting an M3 next weekend (cause the front is still reasonably ok) but then think I'll go for Pirellis for a change.

Any one else run Pirellis and got feedback.
Thanks,
TC
TopCat

73% of internet statistics are made up on the spot
TopCat
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: Victoria

Postby Peter » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:15 am

I just fitted the Pilot Road 2ct's and will be heading away on a 4 day trip on thursday to give them a run. The bike feels much better in the twisties than with the previous set up so I am a happy chap. Thanks for all the feedback.
Peter
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby poorbastard » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:34 pm

I just did the first 300km or so on my PR2's, the rear is fabulous, the front feels like crap. It's being a twitchy bastard and likes to headshake on the other side of 100. It actually feels extremely good mid corner, sticks like shit to a blanket. For some reason the middle feels a bit crud under speed.

Could those retarded little bits of rubber sticking out from the new tyre (since there's a million through the middle of the front) be causing this crap? So far I'm leaving it and will see how she feels after they get ripped off but if it keeps shaking... :x
poorbastard
Warming up
Warming up

Postby hoffy » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:39 am

Mate, it shouldn't feel twitchy, not sure whats causing that, try 37-38 psi in the front, they like a bit of pressure.
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Postby Strika » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:41 am

I have a ZRX which runs PR2's front and rear. It's the 2nd or 3rd set I have used in it and none of my tyres have caused headshake. I ran it up to $2.40 the other day without a wingle, wobble or slap! Might be your bike or it's set-up? Have you flipped the eccentrics? Got enough rear rebound damping? :?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Peter » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:44 am

I agree with Strika and Hoffy, I only did about 70 km on the way home after having them fitted but the last 40 km was in the twisties and although I wasn't pushing real hard (new tyres can be a bit deadly) it handled better than ever before. I would guess it's a tyre pressure problem or suspension set up problem. I googled an old Two Wheels magazine write up about suspension set up on the Z1000 and their prefered front spring preload adjustment was ONE LINE out from the fully in position, the front and back rebound damping was ONE QUARTER turn out from the fully in position, and the back spring preload was 10mm of the thread showing on the back shockie. This info was consistant with what I came up with after experimenting with rebound damping and measuring the static sag on my bike before reading the Two Wheels article, so its a good starting point at the very least. Of course this info is only helpfull if we are right about the problem LOL. It might just be that the front wheel nuts are loose. :shock:
Peter
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby poorbastard » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:43 pm

My suspension set up is pretty much hoffy's set up with a bit stiffer front and without the flipped eccentrics (i'm not heavy enough to need the extra clearance and can only flat foot one foot with the eccentrics as standard).

I ran BT54's prior and the front was very sluggish but stable, rear sucked. I ran PR2's on the R6 and loved them, although I babied them for the first 500km odd. I love the PR2 rear on the Rex and the front is fantastic mid corner. I think it may be the fact the rubber mould spikey bits are all over the middle of the tyre and it should sort itself out as they bugger off.

Pressures are at 36 front 36 rear as per the manual. Might try going up a bit and see how it goes. Will report in but I think it'll work itself out, especially as they are confidence inspiring when leaning off the bike like a monkey! :kuda:
poorbastard
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Saki » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:18 am

poorbastard wrote:My suspension set up is pretty much hoffy's set up with a bit stiffer front and without the flipped eccentrics (i'm not heavy enough to need the extra clearance and can only flat foot one foot with the eccentrics as standard).

I ran BT54's prior and the front was very sluggish but stable, rear sucked. I ran PR2's on the R6 and loved them, although I babied them for the first 500km odd. I love the PR2 rear on the Rex and the front is fantastic mid corner. I think it may be the fact the rubber mould spikey bits are all over the middle of the tyre and it should sort itself out as they bugger off.

Pressures are at 36 front 36 rear as per the manual. Might try going up a bit and see how it goes. Will report in but I think it'll work itself out, especially as they are confidence inspiring when leaning off the bike like a monkey! :kuda:

Alot of people tend to run a PR2 on the rear and a PP on the front. I guess the front doesnt take as long to wear out plus you get superior grip from a PP over a PR2. So perhaps try that!
ZX-2R '88 -> ZX636 '06 -> ZX-9R '99 -> ZX-10R '04 -> Z1000 '03 -> ZX-10R '04 -> ZX-10R '08
Saki
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

State: Western Australia

Postby Phil » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:51 pm

I'd also be running 41-42 psi in the rear, I know the manual says 36 f+r but most tyre manufacturer's would recommend 40 odd for a street tyre in normal road conditions - for radial tyre. :kuda:

Unless you wanna be fully race and run 28-32 or some crap that some people go on with - were talking street tyres in street use here :roll:

Thats what works for me anyway, although mine did have a little weaving problem on the way down to the island that it has never done before, now we know what caused it it can be fixed in two sucks of a syringe - a big one. Was much better on the way back without the tent on the back - cheers Dave :kuda:
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Strika » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:30 pm

Ueah...I agree Phil! I run mine at 36F and 42R on the road. 8) I did drop them before the last "Race" to "race pressures" of 34/38. But that was more because I was too lazy to pump them up than seeking additional grip!!!!! :lol:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Six Addict » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:42 pm

the little bits of rubber will make no difference to the handling... id say its more to do with they wat the tyre works with your suspension set up or the way the tyre works at the pressures u have them at...
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

PreviousNext

Return to Z, ZRX, ER6 & other nakeds