wiring in tacho.

All GPx and GPz Models

wiring in tacho.

Postby Gav » Wed Mar 12, 2014 6:41 am

As the title says. I'm trying to wire in an after market universal tachometer to the gpz550.
You would think it is a simple task, but its got me beat.There is the power wire which they say is black, green earth, and the
yellow/black wire to the power lead for coil .I've tried all this and changed the wires around(black earth,green power etc) but no good.Any sparkys out there? I could sure use some help.
Gav.
Gav
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Don't have one
State: New South Wales

Re: wiring in tacho.

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:44 pm

those wiring colours and the recommended connections - all sound wrong to me.

Most aftermarket tachos need 3 connections - a 12v+ feed, an earth, and a connection to the low-tension side of one of the ignition coils.
The 12v feed is easy enough to source - normally I just tap into a connection that has a +12v supply when the ignition is switched on. The rear brake light is a good place to source a constant +12v supply without the problem of draining a battery.

Earth - just find a good earth. The mounting bolts for the ignition coils are good.

The low-tension side of the coil - if your coils are marked with a + on one terminal and a - on the other, then connect to the - side. If you can't find any markings - have a look at the colour coding of the wires feeding the ignition coil. Normally, the high-tension side of the coils has a yellow or red wire feeding it, and the low-tension side has a black or green wire. If you are stil not sure - trace back the wiring from the igniter box - you are looking for the wires that come from this box up to the ignition coils.

The colour coding from your tacho - black/yellow trace is normally an earth on kawasaki models. Black should be the +12v supply to the tacho, and green should be the feed in from the low-tension side of the coil. You may have to swap these around to get the tacho working.

Do you have a model number for the tacho, or can post up the wiring diagram ? Hopefully you are not using one of those tachos from Supercheap with the 4/6/8 cyl switch on the back. These are dodgy as and in my experience almost never work on a m/cycle......

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Gav » Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:33 am

I'll look at all that,thanks gos. It's not the supercheap one but one from online.And it didn't come with a diagram?
It seems odd that the color coding is all arse about though.It should be a straitforward job,but it must be the color coding which
is throwing me off.Ill try swapping them around and see how we go.
Thanks again for your help.Cheers.
Gav
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Gosling1 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:45 pm

no probs Gav, I hope you can get it sorted. Do you still have that link from where you bought it ?

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gav » Fri Mar 14, 2014 8:23 am

Yeah still got it.I might email them and get a copy of the wiring diagram.
Gav
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:11 pm

sounds good - hope you get it sorted 8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Gav » Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:38 pm

I know fitting tachometers should be reasonably straightforward.But I think our Asian friends like to fuck with us occasionally just to keep us on our toes.( lets change the colors of the wires..tee hee)
I have a plan B. Aido had the acewell gauge there when I bought it from him, so that could be another option,but it's a little complex and a fancy kind of gauge that sort of takes away what I wanted from this
rebuild/throw together café thingo.If I get stuck mate i'll be sure to get in contact.Cheers.
Gav
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Return to GPX & GPZ Discussion