FI Code 64 after installing Block Off Plates Zx-10r 2012

ZX6R, ZX10R, ZX14R, Ninja 1000 etc

Re: FI Code 64 after installing Block Off Plates Zx-10r 2012

Postby Kermit » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:04 pm

With the block off plates still in, cap/block both ends of the air switch valve (kleen air) & plug its cable back in. Disconnect positive lead of battery, leave it off for a few minutes, reconnect and start bike.

If it runs without the FI light coming on then you know its the wiring.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Maccarocks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:29 pm

Shannon...

The block off plates are fine, just plug the solenoid back in.. you will find a nice place to tuck it in and cable tie it there. I know you will still be carrying a couple of grams of extra weight with you, but seriously you wont notice.. you have still removed all the pipes, so it's going to look neater. This will take away all your FI lights.

The servo buddy will be fine (for the exhaust)... and how loud is that little sucker hey..?? I told you so..!! ;)

I also hate having FI error lights flashing on the dash.. if you decide to remove the Ram Air flapper valve, do this at the same time as you will be pulling the bike apart, and you might as well rip the front fairing off as well, get that done too, but you will also have to strip that solenoid down as well and keep that plugged in or you will get another FI light.. but it is easy to pull down and do.

You do have to be careful when making up these home DIY solenoid bypass mods, as some of these have started smouldering under the tank.... they can get very hot if they are the incorrect resistance.. so best to go with the factory parts or buy the correct servo buddy if possible.. just my opinion..

Macca :kuda:
Maccarocks
16' - Z1000 (Road)
Too many other bikes to fit in here !!
Maccarocks
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby Maccarocks » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:35 pm

Also one more thing Shannon,

I just read that you twisted 2 wires together...?? This will create a dead short and you have probably blown a fuse, you need to have a load in the line (which the solenoid coil was) this is probably also why the FI light is still on when you have plugged the original solenoid back in.. As an electrician I have seen many home jobs that cause much worse problems... be careful mate.. and now go and check your fuses..!!

Macca
Maccarocks
16' - Z1000 (Road)
Maccarocks
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby shannony » Mon Dec 24, 2012 1:40 pm

Thanks Macca, I had a feeling i might of messed it up. I never started it though which probably means nothing anyway, I'll leave it in there and cable tie it up somewhere dont care about the weight just trying to help the tuner out and get the best out of it. Again not that you can put anywhere near the power of this thing down on the road, i laugh reading and talking to a lot of people about these bikes that all have dillusions of being Stoner or Doohan. For something you are going to spend most time on the road on it is a ridiculous amount of power that you cant hardly use anywhere.

now to go hunt down the fuse i have destroyed and i hope that is all i have done, Had a look at the schematic in the workshop manual and it looks simple enough ... Might have to call on a favour if not mate:)
shannony
Warming up
Warming up

Postby shannony » Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:20 pm

Quick update, Have just checked every fuse on the bike and they are all good so i am guessing my only option is to plug the solenoid back in and try start her and see what happens hoping it will clear it self once it knows it is there and working but could be completely wrong and have screwed something up but the circuit looks pretty simple Ignition into the ECU and out sort of thing but clearly i am no electrician :)

any ideas greatly welcome !
shannony
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Maccarocks » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:16 am

Shannon,

If you havent popped any fuses then you should be OK.. just plug the solenoid back in as it was stock, cable tie it up out of the way and run the bike, give it 30 secs or so to do it's diagnostics while it is warming up and I would say that all your FI lights will go off.. If it gets to 40 degrees with no lights perfect..!!

But this can also happen whilst on idle.. (as in no lights coming on) you will have to take it for a ride and go through all the gears and open the throttle more before it will be totally clear.. But I have a good feeling it should be fine mate.. ;)

Macca
Maccarocks
16' - Z1000 (Road)
Maccarocks
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Jonno » Tue Dec 25, 2012 11:47 am

Well if i was ever going to do this to mine I dont think I will bother just for a few grams of weight saving, does this mod add any gains in usable power?
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Postby Wattie » Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Jonno wrote:Well if i was ever going to do this to mine I dont think I will bother just for a few grams of weight saving, does this mod add any gains in usable power?

Nope.

Just stops the spluttering and popping on decel.

:lol:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kermit » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:08 pm

Jonno wrote:Well if i was ever going to do this to mine I dont think I will bother just for a few grams of weight saving, does this mod add any gains in usable power?

It leans the air fuel ratio out a little as the air is no longer re-circulated, explains why it gets rid of the rich over run pop.

When you lean out a little you should see a slight increase in torque/hp.

If you plan on dyno tuning, block plates should done to give a correct AFR.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Kawawog » Tue Dec 25, 2012 3:33 pm

Sorry mate been offline for a while and just found ya PM.. I have responded to it on what I have done with mine :) The picture that was posted of the wire alone i havent ran for a while now.. I purchased a DIY diode kit off another Australian member that frequents the US Kawi boards, and have been running that sucessfully for quite some time now :D
Kawawog
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Wattie » Tue Dec 25, 2012 5:31 pm

blackster wrote:

It leans the air fuel ratio out a little as the air is no longer re-circulated, explains why it gets rid of the rich over run pop.

It does nothing to the a/f ratio at time of combustion. So no change in perfomance!
The air is only added to the exhaust fumes to create a "cleaner" exhaust gas to make the greenies smile.
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kermit » Tue Dec 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Wattie wrote:
blackster wrote:

It does nothing to the a/f ratio at time of combustion. So no change in perfomance!
The air is only added to the exhaust fumes to create a "cleaner" exhaust gas to make the greenies smile.

The KLEEN air system is essentially a basic pcv system (positive crankcase vent). This allows HC and CO that has gotten past the rings (blow by) to be sent through a charcoal cannister and is reinserted into the intake, making for less emissions dumping into the atmosphere, the re-circulation does affect AFR due to the increase in gases. Any time a bike is dyno'd, this system needs to be blocked off, whether it's clamping a hose to the intake or removing the system all together. This takes the emissions system out of the equation in order to adjust fuel trim properly. If this isn't done, tuning the bike becomes a lot harder.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby fireyrob » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:47 pm

U know shite Wattie :lol:
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby Wattie » Tue Dec 25, 2012 7:49 pm

blackster wrote:
Wattie wrote:
blackster wrote:[quote="Jonno"]Well if i was ever going to do this to mine I dont think I will bother just for a few grams of weight saving, does this mod add any gains in usable power?

The KLEEN air system is essentially a basic pcv system (positive crankcase vent). This allows HC and CO that has gotten past the rings (blow by) to be sent through a charcoal cannister and is reinserted into the intake, making for less emissions dumping into the atmosphere, the re-circulation does affect AFR due to the increase in gases. Any time a bike is dyno'd, this system needs to be blocked off, whether it's clamping a hose to the intake or removing the system all together. This takes the emissions system out of the equation in order to adjust fuel trim properly. If this isn't done, tuning the bike becomes a lot harder.
[/quote]

Aus and euro don't have charcoal canister...
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER