Kawaski WSBK - P.I. Race reports

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Kawaski WSBK - P.I. Race reports

Postby MadKaw » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:36 pm

Sykes Scores In First Race Of 2010 Season
WSBK, Phillip Island, Australia, 28 February 2010
Kawasaki Racing Team riders Tom Sykes and Chris Vermeulen found the opening race weekend a challenging one, but Sykes got into the points in the first leg after qualifying on row three. Sykes was a fighting 13th in the 22-lap race, but Vermeulen fell while trying to move forward from seventh, crashing out on lap four. Tom was forced out of the second race when a small technical issue caused him to enter the pits, restart, and finally retire.

Chris fell in race two after being in fourth for a period of time, sliding off at high speed at the Hayshed corner on lap eight.

Chris was checked over by the track medics, and was found to have suffered heavy bruising to his right leg and had also damaged a finger.

The team now goes to Portimao for the next round knowing that it has made great progress in real terms on track, and hoping for a change in raceday fortunes. The team has previously tested at Portimao, which will help their pre-race preparations greatly.

Tom Sykes: “In race one we made some changes to the set-up and but it didn’t suit the tyre we used. In race two we got a good launch, but got boxed in and pushed out on to the dirty stuff, along with another couple of riders. So I went from thinking I would be sixth to being 15th. The bike was feeling good but when I went into the final two corners it felt like someone was pushing me from behind. I came back in and checked the bike, then went back out again before retiring. It was just a ten cent o-ring for the steering damper, causing the steering to feel strange sometimes. Otherwise, the bike was very good and giving me a strong race pace in race two. This whole Australian experience has been a good test period for us and I know that we go to Portimao having learned a lot. I would like to thank Kawasaki and the team for the amount of effort they have put in.”

Chris Vermeulen: “I was feeling positive for the race after our two-day test and qualifying sessions. In both races I had really good starts but in the first race I lost the front early on when lying 7th and in race two I had a problem that resulted in a high-speed crash. I’m bruised and battered but am feeling OK, considering the speed of the crash. I had heavy impact on my lower right leg and my finger is pretty smashed up. The preliminary X-rays have shown no breaks but for a precaution I am heading to Melbourne for a more detailed MRI scan. I’m glad we have a month before Portimao, so I can ensure that I am back to full fitness.”

---

Lascorz The Runner-Up In Round One
WSS, Phillip Island, Australia, 28 February 2010
Joan Lascorz and Katsuaki Fujiwara were both on target for a superb double podium finish at Phillip Island, but only Joan was to take home some silverware, finishing second overall. He and Katsuaki looked set to fight it out for second on their Kawasaki Ninja ZX-6R machines when the Japanese rider went past into second place, only to fall at the fourth turn on lap 18 of 21.

The race had been started and then halted after some serious oil leaks coated the circuit, with Joan disputing the lead at the time. In a full distance re-start the race changed in character and Joan rode hard to take second place and 20 points.

Katsuaki simply whistled through the pack at full pace after being pushed wide in turn one, dropping to 11th but putting in a very determined ride. He was impressed by his machine’s capabilities all through the race and was simply caught out when pushing to make a gap on Joan.

Kawasaki runner Fabien Foret (Lorenzini by Leoni) was fifth in the race, riding alone for long periods and almost ten seconds ahead of his pursuing group at the end.

Joan Lascorz: “We had a perfect qualifying but in the race we found a bit of chatter. I was not sure why but I tried my best. It is not so bad at this race to be second and score lots of good points, and at the next race we should be even better. Katsuaki used a different rear tyre choice from me and he seemed more comfortable on the final few laps. He was just unlucky to fall. I am looking forward to the next race already.”

Katsuaki Fujiwara: “I made a good start but I was pushed wide at the first corner and lost a few places. My bike was really consistent and we made a good choice on the rear tyre. The set-up was really good. I had just passed Joan and was trying to go forward when I lost the front, in mid-corner. I got on and scored some points but I should have been in the podium. We were in very good shape this weekend and I think we will be back again at Portimao.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Kawaski WSBK - P.I. Race reports

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:37 pm

Watching his prang in Leg 2, you could have sworn that Chrs's bike smashed right into him when he hit the tyre wall....

If EVER a case needed to be made about air-fence - that is about the best you can get. The sand-trap did SFA to slow him or the bike down.....

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby MadKaw » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:18 am

According to his site, Vermeulen said the crash in race one was due to a suspension problem when the forks bottomed out and the one in race 2 was due to a false neutral on down change..
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Wattie » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:49 am

geez dave, you get false neutrals all the time better be carefull! :shock:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Glen » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:10 am

They must have fitted him up with Gumby suspension and listend to someone who said you can't undercut a 2010 model box
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing