Vermeulen off pace - From smh

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Vermeulen off pace - From smh

Postby MadKaw » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:13 am

Vermeulen off pace before Phillip Island February 10, 2010
AAP

MotoGP reject Chris Vermeulen admits he is struggling with his new Kawasaki ahead of this month's season-opening Australian Superbike Championship round at Phillip Island.

However, he is anxious to return to his home track, where he finished second in the rain-soaked 2006 Australian Grand Prix.

Dumped by the factory Suzuki MotoGP outfit at the end of last year, the Queenslander has found refuge in his former home of world superbikes.

Vermeulen has been testing the Kawasaki in Spain, Japan and most recently in Portomao, Portugal.

"During that session we were running somewhere between eighth and 10th on race tyres," Vermeulen said.

"It felt quite comfortable but we've got a lot of work to do but we're not far off being top five and that's going to be the goal for the start of the year."

Kawasaki has also said it does not expect to see Vermeulen competing at the head of the field in his return to world superbikes after five seasons in MotoGP.

From the team side, we dont want Chris to feel any pressure at Phillip Island as we are still developing the bike at a rapid rate," spokesperson Tatia Weston said.

"The realistic expectations for Chris for a dry race is a top 10 position or in the wet, a top six. This is the aim and realistic objective from the Kawasaki technical team."

Compatriot Troy Corser also has work to do as his BMW team prepares for the first race of the year.

The former series champion was 1.4 seconds off the pace in recent testing at a wet Valencia track, in Spain but is upbeat about the potential of the S1000RR bike.

"Because we had lost so much time to the weather, the team threw quite a lot of stuff at us and maybe there was a bit too much to try in the available time and it was quite easy to get a bit confused sometimes," Corser said.

"The bike has improved quite a bit since the end of last season and it's natural for the team to want to get as much info as possible, but sometimes that's a bit hard on us riders because only so much can be done in a limited amount of time.

"Having said that, I feel we learnt quite a bit and found have some good ideas and directions to take the next time we go out.

"I feel very positive about our possibilities as long we can put together all the different elements.

"Hopefully the next test in Phillip Island (February 21-22) will be very productive and make up for the time lost in Portimao and Valencia," Corser said.
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Vermeulen off pace - From smh

Postby MadKaw » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:22 am

17 February 2010

Vermeulen confident ahead of WSBK season

Life just don’t get any easier for Australian motorcycle racer Chris Vermeulen, even though he’s departed MotoGP for the so-called sanctuary of world superbikes.

That’s because the amenable Queenslander has taken on the massive challenge of turning Kawasaki’s fortunes around in world superbikes, starting with the 2010 Yamaha Philip Island opening round of the World Superbike Championship on February 28.

But it’s a role he has embraced, and he expectantly counts himself in the list of riders capable of winning races in 2010.

“I can do it. I’ve won 10 WSBK races before, been runner-up in the championship, and beaten most of those guys one stage of another,” said Vermeulen.

“We’ve got a new team that’s got to gel together and we’ve got a motorcycle we’re trying to develop, so it’s about putting every piece of the puzzle together to get up the front.

“In 2010, there are seven factory teams with two riders each and all of those riders are expected to be fighting at the front. And then you’ve got your Shane Byrnes and your Carlos Checas and people like that on private bikes.

“Realistically there are 15 or 16 riders who could win a WSBK race this year – honestly. It’s not going to be easy at all, and the depth is the strongest I’ve seen in a long time.

“But for sheer championship presence you can never write off someone like Noriyuki Haga, especially if he wakes up on the right side of the bed.”

Vermeulen’s first serious hitout on the Kawasaki ZX-10R was in Portugal last month, which gave him a chance to prioritise what major set-up issues had to be addressed before the start of the championship.

“Portimao was a great test for us in that we learnt a lot about the bike, even though we got a little bit unlucky with some weather,” said Vermeulen.

“Kawasaki and Showa (suspension) have developed some new parts from the information we came up with at Portimao and we are going to be testing them at Phillip Island (on February 21-22), concentrating on things like weight transfer on the bike from braking to accelerating.

“They will be our priorities, and when we go into the race weekend it will be all about going as fast as we can!”

As far as power output is concerned – one area where riders always traditionally plead for more – Vermeulen is reasonably content.

“I think the Kawasaki has a similar top speed to the BMW or Ducati, and it’s a little bit down on the Aprilia and Honda at the moment,” the 27-year-old said.

“But we are certainly in a sound position engine-wise to start the season as we work on some of the other bigger issues.”

Although this year is a vitally important one for Vermeulen and Kawasaki, there is no doubt that both parties are looking ahead with heady anticipation for the arrival of an all-new ZX-10 for 2011.

“Some of the information we have been gathering on the current bike is really good, as it’s all going towards the 2011 bike – where our main priority is,” said Vermeulen.

“I’ve seen some prototype 2011 bikes already and it’s completely different – and looks pretty special. Until I throw a leg over it I can’t really say, but I’ll definitely be testing that during this season.

“That whole project is what really drove me to Kawasaki, but I’m trying not to get ahead of myself.

“As for 2010, the team is not putting any pressure on me and is saying top 10 results would be great, because they haven’t had a lot of them. But personally I want to be in top five consistently starting the season – I’m a racer with no patience, but that’s normal.

“I hope we are going to be competitive at Phillip Island and in the front group challenging.”

Meanwhile, Vermeulen’s countryman Broc Parkes from Newcastle (Honda) will miss round one after breaking his right tibia in a training accident on the weekend.

Parkes is expected to be out of the saddle for 4-6 weeks, which would mean a return to racing in round two at Portimao in late March.

TICKETS:

Tickets are now on sale for the 2010 Yamaha Phillip Island round of the Superbike World Championship. Visit www.phillipislandcircuit.com.au or tel the Toll Free Superbike Hot Line on 1300 728 007.

If Sunday race day is for you, a one day ticket is just $70*, with family deals and concessions also available.

For super value and a chance to experience SUPER FRIDAY grab an advance THREE day pass at $130*. It includes bonus Super Friday giving free paddock access on Friday morning (till 1pm) and the chance to meet the world’s best riders at an open meet and greet. Camping at the circuit is also available at $99 for four nights.

Want to experience world superbikes in style? BAR SBK may be your ticket - a portable three day pass that gives access to four undercover and licensed viewing locations around the circuit in prime locations for $240*.

Savvy punters will buy in advance to save on their ticket and go into the draw to win one of four spots on the grid for Superbike race one.
* general admission ticket purchased in advance, plus handling charge
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Cath » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:06 pm

smh wrote:MotoGP reject Chris Vermeulen...

That's a pretty harsh way of phrasing it :(
Road: 2005 ZX10R - not named yet
Road: 2008 Z750 - Kwak
Track: 2006 ZX6R - Yoshi (with a very Genki undertail)
Cath
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Six Addict » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:02 pm

Cath wrote:
smh wrote:MotoGP reject Chris Vermeulen...

That's a pretty harsh way of phrasing it :(

harsh but true... :cry:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby MadKaw » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:07 am

Vermeulen keeps an eye on 2011 season
17th February 2010

Chris Vermeulen.
HE has not yet raced his Kawasaki in the 2010 World Superbike Championship, but Chris Vermeulen is already having thoughts about his 2011 campaign.

An all-new “pretty special” ZX-10 has the Yandina ace excited about next year.

“Some of the information we have been gathering on the current bike is really good as it’s all going towards the 2011 bike, where our main priority is,” Vermeulen said.

“I’ve seen some prototype 2011 bikes already and it’s completely different – and looks pretty special.

“Until I throw a leg over it I can’t really say, but I’ll definitely be testing that during this season.

“That whole project is what really drove me to Kawasaki, but I’m trying not to get ahead of myself.”

Vermeulen said Kawasaki – which has struggled to challenge for Superbike race wins – was not putting any pressure on him for this year, his return season after four years in MotoGP.

The season starts at Phillip Island in Victoria on February 28.

“The team is saying top-10 results would be great, because they haven’t had a lot of them,” he said.

“But personally I want to be in top five consistently starting the season.

“I’m a racer with no patience, but that’s normal.

“I hope we are going to be competitive at Phillip Island and in the front group challenging.”

“I can do it. I’ve won 10 WSBK races before, been runner-up in the championship and beaten most of those guys at one stage or another.

“We’ve got a new team that’s got to gel together and we’ve got a motorcycle we’re trying to develop, so it’s about putting every piece of the puzzle together to get up the front.”

Vermeulen thinks there are “15 or 16” riders capable of winning a Superbike round this year.
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby photomike666 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:05 am

When it comes down to it, the 2010 ZX10 is in it's third year with little change. Major update is normally done every two years, and the bike wasn't exactly on the mark in it's first year. 2010 is a throw away year and Vermeulen's main job is to develop the 2011 bike.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

State: Victoria

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing