Vermeulen on the Kawasaki...

Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing

Vermeulen on the Kawasaki...

Postby MadKaw » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:11 am

Australia’s Chris Vermeulen Aiming To Lift Kawasaki Out Of The Doldrums
Kawasaki will again be a genuine world superbike contender in 2010, according to new factory signing Chris Vermeulen.

The Queenslander, returning to WSBK after four years in MotoGP, completed his first serious hitout on the ZX-10R in Spain last week, and came away encouraged by the progress he made.

“It was a really positive test at Cartagena,” said Vermeulen. “I now have a good base set-up and a solid platform to work from for the rest of the pre-season.

“For sure there’s still a lot of work to be done, and I certainly wouldn’t be challenging right at the front if the championship was starting now.

“I’m under no illusions how hard it’s going to be in 2010, but the goal is to get this thing up the front and I’ll be doing all I can to make that happen.”

After parting ways with Australia’s Broc Parkes and Japan’s Makota Tamada at the end of the 2009 season, the Kawasaki factory team immediately swooped on Vermeulen to steer its fortunes over the next two years.

Erstwhile Yamaha WSBK rider Tom Sykes will be the second rider in 2010, and Kawasaki has also committed to a quantum leap in resources, which is something that impressed Vermeulen when he was being courted to return to the class.

“At the test, there were existing engineers, and they were joined by people from Hayate (Kawasaki’s former MotoGP team) and engineers from Japan, which was great,” said Vermeulen, one of only a select number of riders who have won both WSBK and MotoGP races. “They all started to gel together really well, which is going to be a great thing for me and Tom in the long-term.”

Both Vermeulen and Sykes will race Kawasaki’s unchanged ZX-10R in 2010, which has so far struggled to keep pace with its Japanese opposition, as well as Ducati and Aprilia.

Vermeulen doesn’t need to be reminded of that sobering fact, although he’s really looking forward to racing an all-new machine in 2011.

“I will also be involved with development of the new bike, which is something I am very excited about,” said Vermeulen. “Understandably, there will be a major focus on that bike, but first we’ve got to get through 2010 on the current model.

“If we can consistently challenge for top five spots on that bike I’ll be happy, but things can always change. If I win the first four races, then I’ll obviously have to revise that goal!

“But there are plenty of great riders in the class, and it’s going to be a massively hard year – and the dynamics have changed a little since I was last there.

“But I now feel I’m technically a better rider, and I have a better understanding of how to set-up a bike. That’s the experience I’m looking to bring across to Kawasaki.”

When asked if riding an uncompetitive machine in MotoGP, especially over the last two years, had sapped his confidence, Vermeulen said: “I certainly didn’t lose any belief, and I feel like I can still ride. I’m looking forward to showing the WSBK paddock that I’ve still got what it takes.”

Kawasaki only has one WSBK title to its credit, which was way back in 1993 with American Scott Russell. There were some sprinkled individual highlights after that, mainly due to the exploits of flamboyant Australian Anthony Gobert, but for the most part it’s been a sustained period of mediocrity for the marque.

But with a revitalised outlook and more dollars to spend, Vermeulen is determined to stop the rot for Kawasaki.

“I’m up for this challenge, as are all the engineers and people behind the scenes,” said Vermeulen. “I love WSBK racing and I’m delighted to be back – it’s going to be a sensational year of competition, and I hope we’re battling up the front.”

Vermeulen has two more Spanish tests scheduled before Christmas: at Almeria on December 18-19, then another two-dayer at Jerez on December 21-22.

The 2010 championship kicks off at Phillip Island from February 26-28, with Vermeulen to be joined by countrymen Troy Corser (BMW) and Parkes, who remains in the fold on a privateer Honda.
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Vermeulen on the Kawasaki...

Postby Wattie » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:23 am

booya! go hard you floppy hat wearing dude :kuda:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby MickLC » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:52 am

Hopefully this means they'll have a decent Kawasaki presence and some good merchandise at the Supers next year too :kuda:
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Postby Cath » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:55 am

I hope so too Mick! Ever since I heard the news, I've been hoping they'll sell a green Kawasaki floppy hat :kuda:

Plus we'll have an Aussie on a Kwaka to cheer on! I'm looking forward to the Supers already 8) Go Vermeulen :kuda:
Road: 2005 ZX10R - not named yet
Road: 2008 Z750 - Kwak
Track: 2006 ZX6R - Yoshi (with a very Genki undertail)
Cath
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Phil » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:31 pm

Cath wrote:I hope so too Mick! Ever since I heard the news, I've been hoping they'll sell a green Kawasaki floppy hat :kuda:

Plus we'll have an Aussie on a Kwaka to cheer on! I'm looking forward to the Supers already 8) Go Vermeulen :kuda:

You will also have another aussie - and former world champ to cheer on as well (not on a green bike though) :kuda:
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Six Addict » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:45 pm

pitt?
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby matchan » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:10 am

on the satellite BMW according to rumors!
matchan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Phil » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:27 pm

Six Addict wrote:pitt?

;)
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby Wattie » Wed Dec 16, 2009 7:40 pm

Phil wrote:

;)

There's also talk of Mladin... :shock:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Phil » Wed Dec 16, 2009 8:16 pm

Wattie wrote:
Phil wrote:

;)

There's also talk of Mladin... :shock:

Nope its Pitt, 2 year deal
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby MadKaw » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:20 pm

Vermeulen: “Now it feels like my bike”

By Michael Guy -

World Superbikes

18 December 2009 16:35

After completing a two day test at Almeria this afternoon, Chris Vermeulen will leave the Spanish track happy and remains satisfied that he’s making good progress developing the factory Kawasaki ZX-10R that he’ll campaign in WSB 2010.

Along with team-mate Tom Sykes, Vermeulen got to test a host of new parts and settings and revealed that he now feels comfortable on the bike.

“The test has gone well, it was another circuit I hadn’t been to so I had to learn the track first and with it being December we only had limited track time. But it’s starting to feel like my bike and I’m comfortable. I can understand what it’s doing and understand how it behaves with the changes we’re making.”

Some of those changes included dialling in new Magneti Marelli electronics, which were developed by Kawasaki in MotoGP.

“We’ve improved the suspension and we’ve got it working how I like to ride the bike. We’ve also done a lot of work with the new electronics. It’s basically an updated version from 2009, but the key thing is we’ve got technicians from the MotoGP team working on it.”

The Kawasaki Superbike team will now head to their final test in Jerez, Spain next week where they will continue ongoing development work.

“I’m looking forward to riding the bike at a Jerez because I know it well and it will help with my overall understanding. The last two tracks I’ve ridden on have been new to me and that always makes development harder.”
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Postby mfzx6r » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:34 pm

he looks a natural in green
Attachments
vermeulen_cartagena.jpg
vermeulen_cartagena.jpg (203.34 KiB) Viewed 7197 times
Mario
'01 zx6r
klx300r
If it aint "Lime green" it must be a "Lemon"
Friends dont let friends ride Hondas

The most famous KSRC member of all...
Part of the "Fookarwe" tribe
mfzx6r
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Postby smithy5 » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:47 pm

I hope they have enough cash to mix it with the other teams........... Not a lot of sponsors visible on his bike and gear....
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby Six Addict » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:39 pm

they should do, theyve got part of the budget from motogp to use... and all the people... :D
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby MickLC » Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:41 am

Can't wait to see the helmet when he finally gets it done...might have to go back to a Shoei if it's any good :kuda:
'13 Z1000, '76 Z650+,'91 KLR250, '95 ZX6R Racebike
MickLC
Team Crim

Bike: Z1000
State: ACT

Next

Return to Kawasaki Racing, Development & Testing