Zx9 b - zx7r

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Zx9 b - zx7r

Postby Kwakked Up » Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:55 pm

Hey All

I just picked up a zx9 b motor for the zx7 p4. I think it is a b3 motor but not real sure, fuck I dont even know if this thing runs yet.

I have a bit of info on the fit up and that looks fairly straight forward.

I have the 9's carbs but they are the restricted jobbies so will get that sorted and will hunt for a zx9 CDI shortly.

I am interested in any tips or common problems I should look for before fit up.

Cheers
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Zx9 b - zx7r

Postby Kwakked Up » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:42 am

Couple of questions am hoping I can get some advice on

1. I am stripping the motor down and thought I would get into the gearbox while I was at it. After some research I see that some of the poms have been putting 03 - 09 z1000 gearboxes into zx9s C - E models. Anyone here had a crack at this? Is it likely to be an option in the B model?

2. Are camshafts interchangeable across B - E ?

Cheers
Rob
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kev » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:05 am

Kwakked Up wrote:Hey All

I just picked up a zx9 b motor for the zx7 p4. I think it is a b3 motor but not real sure, fuck I dont even know if this thing runs yet.

I have a bit of info on the fit up and that looks fairly straight forward.

I have the 9's carbs but they are the restricted jobbies so will get that sorted and will hunt for a zx9 CDI shortly.

I am interested in any tips or common problems I should look for before fit up.

Cheers

Nice pick up Rob, hope it's a runner and it works out for you.

The only thing I did to the engine on my 100,000km B2 when I converted into a track/race bike was put a factory pro carb kit through it and it made quite a bit of difference. The kit I used was the 1.7-RK race kit. (CRB-K28-1.7-RK)
http://www.factorypro.com/Prod_Pages/prodk28.html
Kev
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R

Postby Kev » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:11 am

Kwakked Up wrote:Couple of questions am hoping I can get some advice on

1. I am stripping the motor down and thought I would get into the gearbox while I was at it. After some research I see that some of the poms have been putting 03 - 09 z1000 gearboxes into zx9s C - E models. Anyone here had a crack at this? Is it likely to be an option in the B model?

2. Are camshafts interchangeable across B - E ?

Cheers
Rob

I don't think you'll be able to do either as the B model engine, which I am led to believe is essentially a bored out 1995 ZXR750 engine, is a completely different configuration to the C-E models.
Kev
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Daisy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:30 am

Yeah the B model is a bit of an orphan. Virtually nothing is interchangeable with the 9 family.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby Kwakked Up » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks Kev and Daisy

Have been doing a fair bit of research and am discovering the b model is fairly unique.

Have pulled the head and was pleasantly surprised at how clean she is. Everything in the top end seems to be ok, clearances were good and cams are well within specs too but there are a few weird marks (dings) on some lobes that make me a little sus about the history. No extra metal filings in the oil that I can find :? so who knows might a fluked a good one.

Was going to throw some valve seals in and chuck it back together but then started thinking I should have a crack at the gearbox while she is out.

I have a full Muzzy zorst and stage 1 kit in the zx7 carbs which I was going to try but will definately look at the carb race kit, thanks for that. Do you run an ignition advancer ?
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Glen » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:10 am

I think Dave3 had one of these as a tracky. Affectionately known as the mutant I think. Not sure how you contact him these days now that he and Cath have gone all Hillbilly though.
It's really all about standing around drinking Dave's beer.
2008 ZRX1200 Greeeeen Roadie
2016 KTM Superduke 1290 Oraaaaange
2016 Seadoo RXTX300
Too many toys.......work is getting in the way!!!!
Glen
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Kev » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:30 pm

Kwakked Up wrote:Thanks Kev and Daisy

Have been doing a fair bit of research and am discovering the b model is fairly unique.

Have pulled the head and was pleasantly surprised at how clean she is. Everything in the top end seems to be ok, clearances were good and cams are well within specs too but there are a few weird marks (dings) on some lobes that make me a little sus about the history. No extra metal filings in the oil that I can find :? so who knows might a fluked a good one.

Was going to throw some valve seals in and chuck it back together but then started thinking I should have a crack at the gearbox while she is out.

I have a full Muzzy zorst and stage 1 kit in the zx7 carbs which I was going to try but will definately look at the carb race kit, thanks for that. Do you run an ignition advancer ?

If you end up needing a new set of cams let me know because I have a spare set that you can have for just a few $$. I bought them with intention of having them reground to try and chase a few more ponies but didn't pursue it in then end as I was more than happy with how well the old girl went in a straight line.

No I didn't worry about an ignition advancer in the end either for the same reason. It held it's own in the category I was racing in, both in a straight line and out of corners, so didn't want to go modifying the engine in anyway and jeopardize the reliability.
Kev
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kwakked Up » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:46 pm

Thanks Kev

Am not sure about the cams just yet but will pm you if I change my mind. It is only that the marks on the lobes don't really make sense as the rest of the motor seems ok but will ponder this some more.

I probably won't worry too much about engine mods other than the usual as I doubt I will be racing any time soon. The old girl goes well enough and holds her own through the corners but I am getting hosed in a straight line. Could be lack of rider ability at getting it to jump out of corners so am hoping the 900 will help.

I have fitted up an 04 zx10 swing arm and am really happy with that set up so far.

I also have spacers to fit up 04 zx10 forks :twisted:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kev » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:26 pm

Kwakked Up wrote:Thanks Kev

Am not sure about the cams just yet but will pm you if I change my mind. It is only that the marks on the lobes don't really make sense as the rest of the motor seems ok but will ponder this some more.

I probably won't worry too much about engine mods other than the usual as I doubt I will be racing any time soon. The old girl goes well enough and holds her own through the corners but I am getting hosed in a straight line. Could be lack of rider ability at getting it to jump out of corners so am hoping the 900 will help.

I have fitted up an 04 zx10 swing arm and am really happy with that set up so far.

I also have spacers to fit up 04 zx10 forks :twisted:

Having a 900 donk will certainly help with the straight line speed and getting out of the corners quicker, I loved the torque of the 9. I've got a photo somewhere of a massive rear end slide I had coming out of the corner heading up onto the bridge at Oran Park at the final PCRA round there, I'll post it up when I find it.

Sounds like you will certainly have the handling and braking sorted with the zx10 bits your fitting, will be good to see when it's done. :kuda:
Kev
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kwakked Up » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:16 pm

ha ha Kev, you have reminded me of a highside I had coming over the flip flop at Oran Park on a wet/dry track :shock: :oops:

look forward to the pics
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kev » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:25 am

Kwakked Up wrote:ha ha Kev, you have reminded me of a highside I had coming over the flip flop at Oran Park on a wet/dry track :shock: :oops:

look forward to the pics

Ouch, that's not a great place to highside. I had a nasty one coming out of turn 3 hairpin but unfortunately no photos of that one.

Are you going to setup the clutch as a slipper clutch now that you've got it all apart?

Finally found the pic(really need to sort out my filing system). That's me in the first race fluro on #53 after being bucked out of the seat and that's the blackie I left in front of #38 as I tried to get the power down coming out of turn 4, not as massive as I thought it looked. :roll:
Attachments
Oran Park turn 4 close call.jpg
Oran Park turn 4 close call.jpg (170.82 KiB) Viewed 9935 times
Kev
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kwakked Up » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:33 am

Great pic that one.

Don't these already have a ramp type slipper ? You got me wondering now, will have to check this out. Pretty happy with the one in the zx7
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kwakked Up » Sat Feb 10, 2018 1:34 pm

Just stripped it down and it looks the same as the zx7 ;) . Just to make sure I have compared part numbers and all looks same same. Will run it as it is and adjust later if necessary
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kev » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:40 pm

Kwakked Up wrote:Great pic that one.

Don't these already have a ramp type slipper ? You got me wondering now, will have to check this out. Pretty happy with the one in the zx7

Yeah they do but I read they're not that effective as a slipper with the factory settings(too stiff) and some of the steel plates need to be swapped for thinner ones to get the amount of slip you want. Haven't done it personally, just read about it.
Kev
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Next

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion