ZZR-1100 Advice

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

Re: ZZR-1100 Advice

Postby Mister_T » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:56 pm

Alf Stewart wrote:Got all the jets clear, reinstalled and assembled. It lives!!!

Yay!

Alf Stewart wrote:I may or may not have tweeked the idle setting a tad but a fraction of a turn at most. Better not have sucked some shit into the pilots haha.

My guess is your settings are pretty close.
Shit getting back into the carbys is a risk. Can you see any rust in the tank?

Alf Stewart wrote:I'm thinking I may need to adjust the pilot screws on the carbs? I reset them all to 2 turns out as per manual. I checked the, before setting and they varied from 2 through to 2 and a 1/4 turns out. Possible this is my issue?

If you can get it to start and run fairly smooth then the settings are good enough to start with.

Cutting out may be a fuel feed issue. This can be split into 2 different areas. You can have a tank venting issue. On a gravity fuel feed the air has to get into the tank to let the fuel out. The fuel can flow ok for a while as engine heat makes the air and fuel in the tank expand and make a bit of pressure but after a while that is not enough. I had to fiddle a bit with the venting valves in the fuel cap of the Resurrection GPX after it cut out a couple of times on the road.
If you have a tank venting issue then if you leave the tank cap open then the problem should go away.

If rust or stale fuel shit is clogging the tank pickup or filter or (in your case) the fuel pump, or the T-piece where the fuel hose meets the carby bank, then that is something else.
This where seeing the float level can help. You would see the float level drop before it cuts out.

Also depends on how it cuts out. Does it feel like it is running out of fuel or does it stop dead like you turned the switch off?
If it is a sudden stop then electrical issues may be at play e.g. a CDI unit heating up and cutting spark.

Alf Stewart wrote:How do I determine if it is running rich or lean?

The old old school way (and cheap) is to look at the colour of the deposits on the spark plugs, although on a bike there is a time cost if you have to piss about taking the tank off.
The not quite as cheap old school way is to use a Colortune spark plug with suitable adapter. It is basically a glass spark plug that lets you see the colour of the combustion. I have a couple that I have had for about 30 years. They came in handy setting up SU's on modified Minis.

Alf Stewart wrote:Little stumped as to why it revved great, then not at all.

Ah, well, if we knew that we could tell you what to fix.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Postby Alf Stewart » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:53 pm

I suspect it's a fuel issue again. May have possibly sucked some crap through. Doesn't appear to be any rust on the tank. I did drain and put fresh fuel in the tank, a decent amount of sediment did come through. I'll drain again to be sure though. The reserve line doesn't have a intank filter on it, and I accidently ran it on briefly after reinstalling carbs. May have sucked through the last of the crap in the tank.

It's not a spark issue, is getting warm enough to kick in the radiator fan. And applying more choke brings it straight back to life. I checked the primary and secondary windings on the ignition coils and they were all in spec, so at this stage confident it's not electrical.

I believe the tank is venting properly, I have the spare key in the cap and didn't notice any suction when opening, will try with it left open though to be sure.

I have the day off tomorrow so will pull the carb and check the jets to be sure. Will also drain tank then flush tank, lines and filter. All the fuel lines need replacing, it is very possible they are perished and deteriorating internally so may be an ongoing issue if this is the case.

With any luck tomorrow will be a fruitful day. Thanks again for your replies.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZZR1100
State: South Australia

Postby Alf Stewart » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:52 pm

Finally! The bloody thing runs and it runs great.

Turned out the new furl pump i got was faulty, replaced and its 100% now.

As far as running side of things go just need to put an air filter in it then fine tune carbs.

Happy days!
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Daisy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:41 pm

Good news.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR

Postby Alf Stewart » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:02 pm

Just picked up an Rjays Apex helmet for just under half the retail price, in new condition. Bloke who I got it off bought it before he got a bike and then realised it was to big.

So damn tempting to go for a ride.

Huge thanks to you all for your help, will get the bike out for a wash and a happy snap next chance I get.

Cheers.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby BrettZZR » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:03 pm

Happy snaps eagerly awaited...

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: Western Australia

Postby Alf Stewart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:01 pm

IMG_0650.JPG
IMG_0650.JPG (205.97 KiB) Viewed 16107 times
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Alf Stewart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:02 pm

IMG_0651.JPG
IMG_0651.JPG (166.93 KiB) Viewed 16106 times
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Alf Stewart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:02 pm

IMG_0652.JPG
IMG_0652.JPG (166.77 KiB) Viewed 16105 times
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Alf Stewart » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:09 pm

Couldn't work out how to post images together.

Still so much to be done. So far the list is roughly:
Check calipers and rotors, flush and bleed brakes.
Flush and bleed clutch
Adjust clutch/brake handles to suit my riding position.
Install air filter
Fine tune carbs
Change fork oil
Check and tension chain
Axle flip? Would like some opinions on that one.
Drain, flush and change coolant
Find some bolts for tank
Probably more not coming to mind.

Most the fairings need repairs, so many broken tabs! And nearly no clips/bolts. The I'll be painting them, at this stage thinking of staying the same colour as the tank. Probably change my mind a few times between now and then.

Put some air in the tyres, makes a huge difference to handling funnily enough. They had 11psi in the front and 15 in the rear haha.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby BrettZZR » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:09 am

Alf Stewart wrote:Couldn't work out how to post images together ...

Click on the "Edit" button on one of your posts above and you'll see the line of text for images with the file location/name.jpg between "image tags" - [img... etc { / means "end" }
Don't change anything there now, but if you repeated that line again, it would show the pic twice. If you changed the filename to that of another pic, you'd get the two pics. Seems cumbersome but you'll quickly learn to use the 'tags' directly.

Alf Stewart wrote:... Axle flip? Would like some opinions on that one ...

For me, this is a no brainer - it makes such an improvement!

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Alf Stewart » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:09 pm

Ah that makes sense. Just couldn't work out how to upload multiple photos at once. Probably my horrible iPad.

I've read nothing but good thinks about the axle flip. Will have a look in the manual and sus it out. Probably wait till I have all the fairings off for repairs/painting.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Alf Stewart » Tue May 09, 2017 9:44 pm

Soooooo.... bought another bike. Pick it up tomorrow. Round 2 begins :D
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby BrettZZR » Wed May 10, 2017 4:43 pm

Pics or it didn't happen!

(-8
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Alf Stewart » Wed May 10, 2017 8:23 pm

It did happen! 2006 GPX 250, come with a helmet and gloves that fit the missus perfectly. Should make a nice first bike for her. And cheeeeeaapp too.
IMG_0663.JPG
IMG_0663.JPG (159.25 KiB) Viewed 16048 times

IMG_0664.JPG
IMG_0664.JPG (178.61 KiB) Viewed 16048 times

IMG_0665.JPG
IMG_0665.JPG (177.85 KiB) Viewed 16048 times

Haven't done nothing with it yet. Doesn't start I'm told, battery is dead flat but apparently new.

From what I've worked out it's been sitting for about 2 years.

I'll give it a wash and get better pics when I can. Then clean carbs, clean and flush tank, flush lines, change fluids, charge battery, see if it goes. Much more familiar with bikes then I was 4 pages ago so confident I'll have it running over the weekend if I don't hit any snags.

One question to ask, handle bars straight, front wheel is cocked to the right. Something bent or something need adjusting/aligning? It rolls smoothly.

Exciting times!
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

PreviousNext

Return to ZZR Discussion