ZZR-1100 Advice

ZZR 250, 600, 1100 & 1200

Re: ZZR-1100 Advice

Postby Daisy » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:06 pm

When I said clean the carbies I meant the bowls. Which is why you'd need to take them off - as a set - and tip them upside down to take the bowls off.

Ours broke down on the highway in the middle of the night once. Just stopped dead. The plug had fallen off the fuel pump relay. It seems they won't go without the pump even with a nearly full tank.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby Alf Stewart » Sun Mar 12, 2017 11:22 pm

Ah I see, didn't think I was it was the right bit that I pulled off. Want to avoid fiddling with the carbs, little intimidating for me, but I'll have a better look tomorrow and have a go. I assume it's fairly idiot proof cleaning the float bowls?

Fuel pump is definitely no good. Doesn't flow at all now, just makes noise. So until funds permit I won't be getting it fired up anytime soon. At least I think I have it all diagnosed.

So list of things to replace is battery, fuel pump, fuel pump relay and air filter. Throw the bars on, change coolant, clutch and brake fluids, fork oil. Then replace all the missing bolts and make it pretty. After that I've got some more ideas....
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZZR1100

Postby Alf Stewart » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:31 am

No progress made over the weekend. Handlebars arrived yesterday and they fit just fine. This weekend I'll put the levers and what not on the bars and going to drain the float bowls, possibly pull one apart to see if they need cleaning depending on how the fuel i drain out looks.

Until funds permit i wont be able to grab a fuel pump or relay, will see how the bank account looks friday.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Alf Stewart » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:25 pm

It lives, threw a new fuel pump and relay in. Got it started with the help of some aerosol at first. Idles rather high but gonna put that down to having air box off so would have copious vacuum leaks, possible also why it needed the aerosol to assist initial fire.

Remembered I need a new battery but that can wait for now, working tomorrow so I'll likely put it all back together Sunday so I can take it for a quick lap around the block to make sure it's all well and good before I park it back up to start fixing fairings and change the rest of the fluids.

Pretty happy with it so far.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Daisy » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:10 pm

That is great news.
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Alf Stewart » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:25 pm

Put a new battery in, bike starts nice and easy now that I've fired it up a few times. Got the air box back on and pretty sure everything is hooked up.

Still need a new air filter. Had to bypass the non existent side stand switch to get it to move forwards, will replace that at some stage.... maybe. Also remembered I need to resolder the wires onto the fuel level sender.

Took it for a short blip up the end of the street and back. All seems well aside from the high idle. Was sitting about 3500-4000, with a bit of effort the adjuster screw free'd up (was maxed out) and I've got it down around 2k for now until I warm it up properly and adjust correctly. Revs are slow to return to idle so hoping its just due to the idle adjuster screw being set incorrectly for now.

Missing copious amounts of bolts for fairings and tank. Also what pressure should I be running in these tyres?

All in all very happy with the bike, definitely has plenty of poke, no idea how high I reved it or how fast I was going as I wasn't looking at dash and didn't want to go any further then the end of my street as I have most the fairings off, bike is unregistered and I don't have a helmet.

Any recommendations on a helmet? Don't want to spend any more then I need to but obviously don't wanna be cheap when it comes to holding my head together. Really have no idea when it comes to enclosed helmets, used to motocross style helmets. But some things I need to consider is I'll be riding at day and night (dark on my way to work), so tinted lense is probably a bad idea, but I've got a good pair of polarised sunnies I always have on me. And I'd also like to have a helmet cam but need to check the legalities of those here in SA.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Daisy » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:12 pm

High idle and slow return still sounds like a vacuum leak, but could also be sticky cables or linkage. Actually, has it got an air filter in it at all?
Helmet is much easier. Go into the shop and try them on. Start at the cheapest and work up until you find the one that is comfortable. Buy that one.
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Alf Stewart » Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:54 pm

Does not have an air filter in it at all, this shouldn't cause any issues should it? The old one was literally falling apart so removed that when I first got the bike, have started and rode it since. The throttle snaps back fine and can visually see that it's all sweet in that regard.

When I took the bike for a spin it had the idle adjusting screw maxed out and from what I can see all that basically does is push on the throttle assembly, so at this stage I'm hoping that is all that was causing the revs to drop slowly.

I noticed the choke wasn't completely retracting, adjusted slack in cable but wasn't enough, took the choke assembly thing off the handle bar, took it apart and put back together properly, then re adjusted slack so now that is all in order.

Now I can't start the bloody thing, I'm hoping it just because I had the tank off. Battery is charging at the moment so I'll have another crack once it's charged. It just a pain cause I'm not familiar with this bike so no idea how much choke/throttle it likes when starting and warming up.

The helmets suggestion seems like common sense haha. Thanks for your reply once again.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Alf Stewart » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:49 pm

Forgot to mention, noticed that cylinder 4 is considerably hotter then the other 3 during the times that i had it running. Does this indicate anything?
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Mister_T » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:47 am

Alf Stewart wrote:Forgot to mention, noticed that cylinder 4 is considerably hotter then the other 3 during the times that i had it running. Does this indicate anything?

It could. There could be a whole list of things wrong. With a buy like this, it is hard to tell what was a pre-existing condition before it was stored or given up on, and what may be a result of stale fuel
e.g.
#4 may have a vacuum leak
#4 throttle may be adjusted badly and is working harder than the other 3 cylinders
#4 may have junk accumulated in the carby pilot system and is running lean
#4 may have junk in the float and is running a low float level and is running lean

How did you determine #4 is running hotter?

Since we are throwing around colour suggestions, how about a dark-ish metallic green?
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Postby Alf Stewart » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:06 pm

Flicked some water at the headers after idling a little and number 4 evaporates on contact, the rest are warm but not enough to so the same. Cool enough i can touch.

Did some research and cleaning the carbs doesn't look all that complicated. I did pull them off and remove float bowls last night, nothing jumped out at me but was late and very likely i overlooked something.

I intend on picking up some cans of carb cleaner during the week and ill pull them down and clean, i suspect float needles or something else may be gunked up. Ill just pull apart and drown it, hope for the best.

I did read somewhere about counting turns for something in particular, need to double check that. I have the workshop manual which makes it handy.

While i have them out should I attempt to balance throttle's? They looked ok by eye. And also should i check float heights and any thing else?

As for colour i still have no idea. Im liking the colour it is, with the exception of some silly flames on the front fairings.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Mister_T » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:03 pm

Alf Stewart wrote:Flicked some water at the headers after idling a little and number 4 evaporates on contact, the rest are warm but not enough to so the same. Cool enough i can touch.

Yup, that works. I've used a misting spray bottle.

Alf Stewart wrote:Did some research and cleaning the carbs doesn't look all that complicated. I did pull them off and remove float bowls last night, nothing jumped out at me but was late and very likely i overlooked something.

It's not super hard, just a bit tedious. Getting the carbys out and back into a straight-4 is usually the hardest part.
If you can see clean alloy in the float bowls then they should be ok. Stale fuel will leave a coating which I've had to scrape off.
Stale fuel also had a distintive bad smell which will hang on even after running clean fuel through the system. Stale fuel will also do a fine job of rusting a steel fuel tank.

Alf Stewart wrote:I intend on picking up some cans of carb cleaner during the week and ill pull them down and clean, i suspect float needles or something else may be gunked up. Ill just pull apart and drown it, hope for the best.

While carby cleaner does not bother metals, it is potent enough to affect plastics and rubber so I would not recommend a wholesale soaking.

Alf Stewart wrote:I did read somewhere about counting turns for something in particular, need to double check that. I have the workshop manual which makes it handy.

That would be the pilot screw adjustment. The pilot screw mostly controls idle and low load mixture.

Alf Stewart wrote:While i have them out should I attempt to balance throttle's? They looked ok by eye.

If they look pretty close then they probably are.
After I've had carbys completely apart and back together, I'll use the main idle speed screw to open up a carby by a few millimetres. Then I get a drill bit of around 2 to 3 millimetres and set all the throttles using the drill bit as a feeler gauge between the throttle plates and the carby bores.
That gives a good starting point before a final balance on the running bike with typical balance gauges.

Alf Stewart wrote:And also should i check float heights and any thing else?

Float heights make a difference.
Your shop manual should show how to remove the floats and examine the rubber tip on the float needles.

Alf Stewart wrote:As for colour i still have no idea. Im liking the colour it is, with the exception of some silly flames on the front fairings.

Go with whatever grabs you. You are are the one who has to live with it.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Postby Alf Stewart » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:37 am

Awesome. Feeling like ive got a pretty good idea of what i need to do now.

Found it relatively easy to pull the carbs out the other night. So once ive got some cleaner ill get stuck into it
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Alf Stewart » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:38 pm

Gave the carbs a clean. Still no dice...
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Alf Stewart » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:23 pm

Think I've worked out the issue, intank filters blocked. Completely forgot about those.
Alf Stewart
Warming up
Warming up

PreviousNext

Return to ZZR Discussion