ZX6R Misfire

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

ZX6R Misfire

Postby Poyda » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:58 pm

Hi guys and girls,

Well it's been a long time between drinks for me but my 96 ZX6R is coming out of storage and getting back on track. I've just given it a good service, including new plugs. The issue I'm having is a misfire on number 4. This is a lack of spark issue as the plug is wet with no burn. I have put a spark tester on no.4 with no result and number 1 with a good spark. 1 and 4 run off the same coil. Fortunately when i got this bike it came with a car load of spares (literally, I had my Daihatsu Charade loaded to the roof with all the extra bits) so I have already swapped coils and leads, reg/rectifier and Ignition modules. I have checked the pickup and it's good. The battery is holding charge like it was new and has no problem cranking. I can keep it running if I keep the revs up over 3000 but under that it just dies and then restarts no problem as long as you give it plenty of throttle.

Any help greatly appreciated as the track day is Wednesday. (Yes I know I should have got it running before I booked. :cry: )
Pete

The (no longer) ugly 96 ZX6R
And now with another Purple and Orange 96 ZX9R
Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: ZX6R Misfire

Postby Mister_T » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:58 pm

Swap 1 and 4 plugs around and see the problem moves with plug 4.
Mister_T
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPx750
State: Victoria

Postby Mitch » Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:20 pm

Hey Poyda

did you get this sorted out?
ZX9R F2 track bike aka Big Blue
www.bigmitchracing.com
Mitch
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby Poyda » Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:28 pm

Hey Mitch,

'Yeah I did. Well the guys at Penrith Kwaka did. Turns out when I changed the plugs the leads pulled out of the end of the caps and caused a misfire. Apparently it happens all the time and is a real rookie mistake. The gave it a once over, checked and cleaned the carbs and checked the shims and now she starts straight away. :kuda:
Pete

The (no longer) ugly 96 ZX6R
And now with another Purple and Orange 96 ZX9R
Poyda
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion