Exhausting question

ZX2R, ZXR400, ZXR750, ZX6R, ZX7R, ZX9R & ZX12R & others.

Exhausting question

Postby haiiro99 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:55 am

I was thinking about changing the exhaust on the track bike and have hit dead ends everywhere..
Are there any options out there for a J1 ZX6R exhaust in terms of a lighter full system?

I've looked at most of the aftermarket places, ebay, gumtree and anywhere else I can think of, but haven't found any, to even get an idea of what kind of wallet damage I need to account for.
I haven't looked at getting a set custom made because that would be beyond my budget for sure, but would be happy with a slightly scuffed used system, if that's all that's around.

I've been lurking here for a while and having had no luck with the internet for this question thought to put it out to the group to see what comes back.
Any advice would be appreciated, as usual.
haiiro99
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Re: Exhausting question

Postby haiiro99 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:33 pm

I seem to have asked an unanswerable question..
haiiro99
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Wattie » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:51 pm

mate, unfortunately there isn't going to be many options for that era.
Muzzy was common but hardly light in todays titanium terms.
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby photomike666 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:19 pm

It's a common problem, light race parts are available during the few years the bike is competitive, but supply falls off rapidly after that.

You may be able to find steel race headers and a variety of slip ons, but I'd bet most you will find are stock diameter pipes.

Unless you're chasing 10ths, will a full system really give you that much more in lap time? Wouldn't it be better to put then $ into suspension set up or maybe lighter rims? That would afford more reduction in lap time than a couple of horse power
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Postby haiiro99 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:42 am

Thanks guys.

If I'm really honest, it's more for aesthetics and to a small extent weight reduction to help with moving the bike around the garage or loading into the van than speed.

I might let the idea go for now but will keep an eye out on the usual places in case a used set comes up.
haiiro99
Warming up
Warming up

Postby photomike666 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:13 am

Perhaps try Competition Werks, they had a distributor on Adelaide. They do some nice slips on, don't know about full system tho
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666

Postby haiiro99 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm

I've had a look but the J1's been relegated to the tail tidy only bin in their website.

There's a UK company called Pipe Werx who do a reasonable looking short slipon which sells for around $400 on ebay which I might get down the track if I can't find a full system.
haiiro99
Warming up
Warming up

Return to ZX-R Older Model Discussion