Stay upright - Advanced 1 & 2

Discuss riding techniques, styles and tips here.

Stay upright - Advanced 1 & 2

Postby Kermit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:31 pm

NSW Advanced I Skill Development Course

Target Group

Riders of all skill and experience levels will benefit from this course.

Core Objectives

Gain individual assessment and tips to improve your riding enjoyment and improve mental and physical control skills. Increase confidence and build a systematic and safer approach to riding.

Content

Manoeuvring (body english),
normal stops,
quick stops,
braking,
steering (curves, slaloms etc),
lead and follow the instructor.

All activities are optional and conducted at a pace to suit you – no pressure, no performance targets.

Training Environment

Closed circuit, EC

Duration

8 hours

NSW Advanced II - Cornering and Braking Course

Target Group

Riders of all skill and experience levels will benefit from this course but especially those who feel there is room for improvement in their cornering. Are you getting a fright too often, running wide on the exit, braking too late or too early, not seeing far enough ahead or not feeling comfortable and consistent? The course is an ideal progression for those who have attended our Advanced I Skills Development Course.
Core Objectives

By developing a cornering system, discover that corners can be both safer and more enjoyable, whether you’re on the track or on the road.

Content

Enhance and practise cornering and braking techniques in a controlled environment at your own pace
Differentiate between track and road cornering techniques
Tourers, cruisers, and sports bikes welcome - track circulation activities are grouped according to experience and/or type of bike

All activities are optional and conducted at a pace to suit you – no pressure, no performance targets.

Training Environment

Closed circuit EC

Duration

8 hours

Decided on doing these before moving onto other levels of CSS, anyone done them and care to share your thoughts.

http://www.stayupright.com.au/stay-upright-nsw

Added bonus, my insurer covers them as there considered defensive rider courses and get 5% discount off your premium for each one.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Stay upright - Advanced 1 & 2

Postby z900/zx9 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:02 pm

I did one at broadford a few years ago and it was crap,pretty much for learners and returning riders.
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Kermit » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:47 pm

z900/zx9 wrote:I did one at broadford a few years ago and it was crap,pretty much for learners and returning riders.

Intermediate Course
Target Group

Suitable for novice riders but also for riders returning after a break from motorcycling looking to brush-up on their physical skills. The course is a great first step in our track-based course programme.

Core Objectives

Make your riding smoother, safer and more enjoyable by fine tuning the skills learned in the Learner and Provisional courses. The course gives riders the opportunity to enhance and practice their skills at realistic road speeds encountered in everyday riding.
Content

higher speed cornering
braking
counter-steering
manoeuvering techniques
‘lead and follow’ the Instructors and get one-on-one feedback
all activities conducted at your own pace
tourers, cruisers, scooters, and sports bikes welcome
help take the “fright” out of your riding

Training Environment

Stay Upright Training Centre
Duration

4 hours

Did you do this one?
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby z900/zx9 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:14 am

I Did advanced ,not sure what level it was a while ago
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby carpetbelly » Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 pm

Don't even bother with the intermediate Phil. Adv1 is the same but with the extra half day item.

I've done adv1 and found it to be really handy. So did some of the other sydneyriders lot. Not done adv2 but Anna from there did and said sh defo got more out of 1. The morning is a lot of stop, starting. But good to practise emergency stops at a much higher speed than I even normally get to try on the road and obv in a sad environment.
Current Woman:
2010 Ninja650RL ABS aka "Bob"

Previous Women:
2008 Hyosung GT650 aka "Fat Bitch"
carpetbelly

Bike: Ninja 650

Postby Kermit » Mon May 06, 2013 9:03 pm

I thought i'd give some feedback on this course and I'll make some comparisons to CSS level 1 which I also did last year.

The first 1/3 of the course was done on the GP north circuit.

Skills involved quick steer (counter steering), rev matching/bliping on downshift/braking & quick stop (emergency braking) individual feedback from instructors given on each skill performed

Next third cornering, done Brabham circuit (full circuit)

Basically looked at lines, braking, body position, throttle & planning through corners. Similar to CSS level 1 but more in depth & more instructor feedback provided on these skills.

For the cornering component we were broken up into 4 groups 5 riders in each, pace level dictated which group you were put into.

Warwick Nowland was the instructor in my group, f@cking awesome! Gave me extra green attention.

Basically follow behind each rider providing feedback back on skills & errors. Our group did about 12 laps & he followed behind me for 4.

Final third session, Brabham circuit.

Consolidation session, basically free for all. 10 laps done.

I roughly did 150km on the track (went through a full tank) lucky I brought a 5L Jerry.

I don't believe I did that many K's on the track with CSS nor received the amount on 1:1 time.

End result?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Kwakked Up » Tue May 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Over the years I have done stuff with most of the training providers and there is always something to learn but that is a great write up kermit :kuda:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby tim » Tue May 07, 2013 6:24 pm

Who is this Kermit, he looks familiar!?!? :lol: Good report Phil
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kermit » Sat May 11, 2013 4:47 pm

Cheers Tim.

A few more from the day, photo's by Brian Dyer.

Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby mooneydean » Sun May 12, 2013 8:19 pm

I just completed the Advanced 1 this week at the Creek and pretty much as Kermit has pointed out above, it was well worth it.

BTW Hi Kermit, Im the guy that was on the Z750 that you were speaking with (about the state of our tires).
mooneydean

Bike: Z750

Postby Kermit » Sun May 12, 2013 8:48 pm

mooneydean wrote:I just completed the Advanced 1 this week at the Creek and pretty much as Kermit has pointed out above, it was well worth it.

BTW Hi Kermit, Im the guy that was on the Z750 that you were speaking with (about the state of our tires).

Good to see you found us and welcome.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby mooneydean » Tue May 21, 2013 1:56 pm

Lesson learned from Advanced 1 and not implemented at a junction - result, I got rear ended by a transit van!

While at a standstill I had the front brake applied, I let off the front brake in anticipation of pulling out of the junction but had a last minute change of heart to let the learner driver in front of me pull away (as she nearly rolled backwards in to me), the driver behind me who could no longer see a brake light on and assuming I would pull away then accelerated into the bike of me and my pillion passenger!!!!!!!

If I had kept the rear brake applied at all times at the junction and while pulling away I would probably have avoided this incident (even though it still the van drivers fault of course).
mooneydean

Bike: Z750

Return to Riding Technique Discussion