The Lean

Discuss riding techniques, styles and tips here.

Re: The Lean

Postby Richo » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 pm

Six Addict wrote:
Richo wrote:Come on more group rides and learn from those that know ;)

So steer clear of you then?! :P

You know I love you big boy :lol:

:finga:
2004 ZRX1200R
And on the seventh day Richo ended his work which he had made. Decided resting was for soft cox, straddled the REX and headed up the old road.
And it was good
Richo
Team Chainsaw
Team Chainsaw

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby dilligaf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:50 pm

given the guy that asked is a newish rider, we probably don't want him hanging off just yet and I doubt he needs to.
I still think for where he's at he wants his upper body to the inside, weight the inside peg a bit and his outside knee pushing into the tank.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby Strika » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:03 pm

Inside peg to change direction, outside peg once at full lean. Pushes tyre down to tarmac rather than out, so the story goes.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby kiwi-jono » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:57 pm

ok so the weighting of the foot pegs is starting to get a little confusing i think the easiest way to learn is to come on some more rides and see it first hand
i do get the concept but not sure if all of it applies being on the more upright position er6n
i get the idea of the outside leg being locked in as i usually naturally do this when i lean to the inside, my inside foot i pick up so the ball of my foot is on the peg and not the arch as if i leave my foot in its normal position my toe will drag as for my inside leg its not tight into the tank nor is it sticking out its just kind of there doing its thing
kiwi-jono
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ER6

Postby Ninja10r » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:56 pm

IMO, you do not need to deliberately put weight on the inside peg. When you lock your outside knee and heel and then get you inside knee out, there is automatically some weight transfer onto the inside peg. Just work on your body position and concentrate on getting past a corner with minimum lean angle. Weighing the outside peg becomes necessary when you want to get more grip from the rear tyre coming out of a corner.

And I 100% agree with Nelso and ED that if you weigh the inside peg when coming out of a corner, you will greatly reduce rear traction and the after effects might not be pretty.
Ninja10r

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Nelso » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:33 pm

dilligaf wrote:given the guy that asked is a newish rider, we probably don't want him hanging off just yet and I doubt he needs to.

Yeah, I agree. That's why in my first post I said he doesn't have to move far, just half a cheek; just enough so he can put some pressure on the tank with the inside of his leg. I would even go as far as to say not to worry about weighting pegs, as long as he is gripping the bike with his outside leg. I just didn't understand the suggestion of weighting of the inside peg when I had never heard anyone suggest it before, but Marty's explanation sounds like it makes sense.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Nelso » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:42 pm

kiwi-jono wrote:i do get the concept but not sure if all of it applies being on the more upright position er6n

I ride my ZX10 track bike a bit different (more aggressive position) to my ZRX road bike but the concept is the same. You can still get your upper body inside the bike, even when you are more upright. When pushing harder on the ZRX, I try to get into a similar position to the track bike, or as close to it as I can manage.

Here's a comparison:
Attachments
Track Rex.jpg
Track Rex.jpg (86.3 KiB) Viewed 13268 times
ZX10.jpg
ZX10.jpg (79.8 KiB) Viewed 13268 times
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jon13 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:02 pm

Casual ride sayyyy Mt white......Nice and relaxed esp upper body.
Ok here comes the corner....(lets say left hander)...Adjust speed with throttle and braking if nec (as we are at Mt white and the speed limit alows us to corner with very little brakes) slight shift of the hips to left side of bike ( as said before half cheek is plenty) to do this we wieght both pegs and slide the ass with more pressure on the outside peg.
ALWAYS SET YOUSELF BEFORE THE TURN as the less you move in the corner the more stable the bike. At your turn point you push the inside bar (left as we are counter steering) and at that point you push on the outside peg and point your inside (left) elbow into the corner whilst looking at your exit (with your apex in your periferal) which will shift your upper body into the corner and less lean of the bike will be needed to make the corner.
Then you relax with your Outside Knee (right)tucked into the tank weight on the inside peg, arms and shoulders totally relaxed (This allows the front suspension to do its job witout the rider strangling it) then gently cracking the throttle and slowly feeding it on, you push on the right bar to stand the bike up whilst wieghting the inside peg and keeping your body on the inside of the bike. As the bike comes out of the lean you then shift your wieght back to the center of the seat using the inside peg. Do this at just cruising speed and stay relaxed on the bike, when you get to the track you can try it faster and more agrresivley.
Also try to practice one thing at a time then when you are comfortable put them all together.
This is my opinion only and i am definately no expert and open to any critism or words of advice i also reckon your best to do a riding course out at the track.
Jon13

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Leanne » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:00 am

Come on guys. Don't confuse the lad with all that technical gibberish keep it simple.

Just get on the gas! :lol:

On a more serious note. Go and do a rider training course. There is a right and wrong way to corner and then you will develop your own style from that.
Road '10 ZX10R
Dirt '99 KLX250
Race '90 CBR400
Leanne
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby dilligaf » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:02 am

kiwi-jono wrote:ok so the weighting of the foot pegs is starting to get a little confusing i think the easiest way to learn is to come on some more rides and see it first hand
i do get the concept but not sure if all of it applies being on the more upright position er6n
i get the idea of the outside leg being locked in as i usually naturally do this when i lean to the inside, my inside foot i pick up so the ball of my foot is on the peg and not the arch as if i leave my foot in its normal position my toe will drag as for my inside leg its not tight into the tank nor is it sticking out its just kind of there doing its thing

we all do it different! it does apply to a ER6 (or it did to mine)
part of the inside peg bit is to stop you pushing the bike under you like a dirt bike, and it does make
steering quicker.
gentle way to start is to push the inside knee an inch or so forward when setting up for the corner.
you don't have to jump up and down on the pegs!
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900

Postby hoffy » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:08 am

Dont listen to all that shit..just use the Wattie principal..

Just stick it in ! :lol:
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Bike: Z1000

Postby Leanne » Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:09 pm

hoffy wrote:Dont listen to all that shit..just use the Wattie principal..

Just stick it in ! :lol:

Wot he said. :finga:
Road '10 ZX10R
Dirt '99 KLX250
Race '90 CBR400
Leanne
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby kiwi-jono » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:37 pm

ill have to come on more rides i think, get a few of the guys/girls to follow and see what they think of my current riding style and then go from there, and as i progress i think an advanced course of some sort could be a good idea. with the weather being so shitty i havnt had a chance yet to go out and put any of the tips into practice but will try and get to pits this weekend if the weather is good and see if any of the boys are up there
thanks guys
kiwi-jono
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ER6

Postby sandy.singh » Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:10 pm

EDU wrote:
Naked Twin wrote:
Both Nelso and ED can out ride me by a hundred miles but I bet neither steer with the outside leg, they use their out side leg to stop them from falling off so they can lean further "off" the bike into the corner.

Red colour: Disagree!! I rode with you at The Farm and you were far from slow!
Blue:Agree to a degree. I do use the outside leg mostly for the reason you mentioned but at fast long sweeper it also help correct my line by pulling the bike close to my body. I find it especially helpful when you already have your knee on the deck and need just a 'little' adjustment to the line (T1 is a favorite for this). I could counter steer and get same results I think but I feel more comfortable using the outside leg.

Thanks for shearing , I think it will very help full of learning riding.... :D
sandy.singh

Bike: Honda
State: Western Australia

Postby Nelso » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 pm

I just happened to be talking with Troy Corser about this topic a couple of months ago and he confirmed it is the outside peg you want to weight. He said that he pushed on the outside peg to get his body weight as far forward and inside the bike as possible. He and Dale also demonstrated with an old tyre how much more grip you have by weighting the outside peg which was pretty convincing.
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

PreviousNext