The Lean

Discuss riding techniques, styles and tips here.

The Lean

Postby kiwi-jono » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 am

ok so starting to get a little quicker in the corners, but still not a pro by any standard
the technique i follow is wide arc lean in drop inside elbow and push head out to inside wing mirror apex(ish) and exit wide, seems to work fine im starting to get a good lean on now i think as ive dragged my boot a couple of times on corners, easy fix, move my blody foot up on the peg
the question is should i keep up this riding style or start looking at body position?
i had a crack at shuffle the ass over and put my inside knee out once or twice which i felt made the bike really want to dive into the corner, probably more than i neened for the speed i was doing anyway, but not sure if this style works for my er6 as your more upright rather than leaning over on a sports bike
im a big guy so thinking if i move around on the bike too much it will put the balance all out of shape, if it isnt already
this all making sence ??
cheers jono
kiwi-jono
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ER6
State: New South Wales

Re: The Lean

Postby dilligaf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:16 am

best way to sort it out is to do an advanced rising course.
there's a bit of a progression. first upper body like you're doing.
suggest before you start moving your bum you play with weighting the pegs.
as you move your upper body put weight on the inside peg.
once you get that smooth think about moving your bum.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby Nelso » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:31 am

dilligaf wrote:as you move your upper body put weight on the inside peg.

WTF? I weight my outside leg and lock my outside knee into the tank.

Jono, what you are doing is good. When you are ready to move your arse, it doesn't have to move far; just enough to get your outside leg locked in. Half a cheek is plenty for the road. The idea of doing this is to get your bodyweight inside the bike and to get your legs 'holding on' so your upper body and arms can relax. It's a bit harder for us bigger guys to get into the 'ideal' body position, especially on a more upright bike; but getting your weight over just a bit to allow your body to relax and tuck into the bike a bit more will help it corner quite a bit.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby EDU » Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:51 am

Nelso wrote:
dilligaf wrote:as you move your upper body put weight on the inside peg.

WTF? I weight my outside leg and lock my outside knee into the tank.

+1!! Outside peg, pleeeeeeeeease! Or it will end in tears.
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby dilligaf » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:05 am

dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Richo » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:08 am

Come on more group rides and learn from those that know ;)
2004 ZRX1200R
And on the seventh day Richo ended his work which he had made. Decided resting was for soft cox, straddled the REX and headed up the old road.
And it was good
Richo
Team Chainsaw
Team Chainsaw

Postby Possum » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:23 am

This info is really insightful.. Ive not done a track day before, but plan to do a couple before the year is out 8)
It all comes down to how you ride it.....
Possum
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z1000
State: Western Australia

Postby born green » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:24 am

Richo wrote:Come on more group rides and learn from those that know ;)

2nd that..plenty of time to learn off those that know.
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Six Addict » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:32 am

Richo wrote:Come on more group rides and learn from those that know ;)

So steer clear of you then?! :P

You know I love you big boy :lol:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby Naked Twin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:44 pm

Whoa lads, the weighting of the outside leg is misleading and not correct if you ask me. Sure if you are doing low speed or motard work then load up the outside leg however if you are doing road riding DO NOT load up the out side leg, rather make sure you are locking the outside leg into the tank, that is pushing your knee/ thigh into the tank and "locking" it when entering a corner. This will enable you to take the load of your arms and onto your torso. Don't load up the outside peg in a conciseness manner as this is on paper sounds right is not as it sounds quote right.

Both Nelso and ED can out ride me by a hundred miles but I bet neither steer with the outside leg, they use their out side leg to stop them from falling off so they can lean further "off" the bike into the corner.

Work out what makes you better and what doesn't
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby kiwi-jono » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:01 am

all good pointers thanks guys, ill try and put some of it into practice as i go, i think a riding course could be the go at some stage, im still on my L's can go for red P's at any time now its just finding the time, ive put 3,500km on the bike since i brought it 3 or so months ago so id like to think im progressing not too bad doing a combination of city and open road riding
i really enjoy giving the bike a bit of a wind out on the open road and feel theres a little more to be had out of these corners, guess all things come with time
the idea is to progress out of my er6 when i have a full licence and into a z750
kiwi-jono
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby kiwi-jono » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:03 am

and yes i do need to get out on more club rides ect maby when the weather sorts itself out
kiwi-jono
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby dilligaf » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:40 am

there's a few good books around. this guy has a bit about body position

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDet ... 1409137484
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby EDU » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:56 am

Naked Twin wrote:
Both Nelso and ED can out ride me by a hundred miles but I bet neither steer with the outside leg, they use their out side leg to stop them from falling off so they can lean further "off" the bike into the corner.

Red colour: Disagree!! I rode with you at The Farm and you were far from slow!
Blue:Agree to a degree. I do use the outside leg mostly for the reason you mentioned but at fast long sweeper it also help correct my line by pulling the bike close to my body. I find it especially helpful when you already have your knee on the deck and need just a 'little' adjustment to the line (T1 is a favorite for this). I could counter steer and get same results I think but I feel more comfortable using the outside leg.
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Nelso » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:27 pm

Naked Twin wrote:Whoa lads, the weighting of the outside leg is misleading and not correct if you ask me. Sure if you are doing low speed or motard work then load up the outside leg however if you are doing road riding DO NOT load up the out side leg, rather make sure you are locking the outside leg into the tank, that is pushing your knee/ thigh into the tank and "locking" it when entering a corner. This will enable you to take the load of your arms and onto your torso. Don't load up the outside peg in a conciseness manner as this is on paper sounds right is not as it sounds quote right.

Work out what makes you better and what doesn't

By saying I weight the outside leg I am talking about pushing my foot into the peg a bit by pointing my ankle with my calf(plantar flexing), so that the inner thigh (adductors) of my outside leg is gripping the side of the tank and seat. Once that outside leg is locked on, I can 'hang' off the inside of the bike more and can relax my grip with my arms. When trying to tuck in tighter, I also lock the inside of my outer elbow and forearm into the side of the tank. To pull in tighter, I drop my inside elbow more, which countersteers a bit more, so I wouldn't consider it steering with my pegs at all. I know I do have some weight on my inside peg, but I actively push against my outside peg to get my body inside the bike as much as possible.

By no means am I suggesting that this is right either. I still consider myself to be a learner when it comes to riding compared to others around here, but this is what has worked best for me so far.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Next