Rant away.....

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

Rant away.....

Postby kaneg » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:48 am

From time to time I have the urge to express (rant away...) some issues that piss me off :roll:

Am I the only one ? :oops:

I don't think that you need to be labelled a negative person only because there are some reoccurring issues in your life that you feel like sharing with your mates, so here I go and will give you a couple to begin with, feel free to join in :kuda:

Imperial measurements in OZ today ...... WTF , why is it that you, the person, who was born in the seventies/eighties walk into Bing Lee to buy a TV only to be greeted by another person (sales) who is also in his/her twenties ( Remember folks the metric system became official in 1968 :shock: ) and the conversation begin around inches..... none of the participants are 100% know what the hell they are talking about and you might think that's cute and innocent till you and a few of your mates having to build something at which time you all discover that you don’t really know either measurements and the solution lies in two tiny letters mm (millimetres) - accurate and unmistakable - the way measurements should be :supz:

People who talk (dribble) for just the sake of talking without even a remote possibility of making any sense or interest to you .. :vom:

I feel better already :lol:
kaneg
KSRC SPONSOR
KSRC SPONSOR

Bike: Suzuki
State: New South Wales

Re: Rant away.....

Postby seiko1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:58 am

Red Rag to a Bull :shock:
Don't get me started, I'm just toooo happy at the moment :D
Policy - Find something simple.....and Complicate it!
seiko1
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX14R
State: Victoria

Postby craig » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:04 am

hows the imperial massey-fergersson... :lol: :lol:
but agree on the measurement thingo
talking shit we all do it
craig
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby Wattie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:20 am

People who talk (dribble) for just the sake of talking without even a remote possibility of making any sense or interest to you

seiko1 wrote:Red Rag to a Bull :shock:

:lol: :kuda:
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby seiko1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:27 am

Wattie wrote:
People who talk (dribble) for just the sake of talking without even a remote possibility of making any sense or interest to you

seiko1 wrote:Red Rag to a Bull :shock:

:lol: :kuda:

I don't know what you could possibly be talking about Wattie, I honestly don't, I mean I do tend to rant on about shit and it may be boring to you and probably to a lot of others but the purpose of this site is to keep us entertained and I am entertained by my own rantings which is the express purpose of a forum isn't it and I'm excited about getting the 14 and etc etc etc :lol: :kuda:
seiko1

Postby esie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:26 am

kaneg wrote:Imperial measurements in OZ today ...... WTF ...and the conversation begin around inches..... none of the participants are 100% know what the hell they are talking about and you might think that's cute and innocent till you and a few of your mates having to build something at which time you all discover that you don’t really know either measurements and the solution lies in two tiny letters mm (millimetres) - accurate and unmistakable - the way measurements should be :supz:

So, the reason guys measure themselves in inches is because they REALLY don't know how much 8 inches is? :D
Cheers,
Anne

Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
esie
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z1000
State: Queensland

Postby Ratmick » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:48 am

I hate imperial, but my favourite part of the metric/imperial system is when you find specifications for a 8mmx3" long bolt.

I seem to recall that when I was in the UK in 2006 there was a unusual mixture of imperial and metric measurements over there. It's almost like they started with the best intentions and then realised they couldn't be arsed. Certainly everything that comes from the continent is metric, so there is a lot of it about. I also seem to remember that cars in the UK that have their economy expressed in are miles/litre, but that may have been too much beer.

I came to Australia from the UK in 1971 when the metric conversion process here was in full swing. Hence I missed learning about the imperial system, so I find it hard to relate to 11/64" and 1/8" as my brain wants everything in mm.

I have a 1/10 RC (a RC10 B4 FT 2WD if anyone is interested) off-road buggy made in the US. All the bolts/screws are imperial, and they also come in decimals. A .05" allen key - wtf is that? The answer is it's pretty small, about 1.2mm but fook me.

And then you have firearms where depending on where the firearm originated depends on the calibre. You can get a 7.62mm NATO rifle, but you'll also find it happens to be the same ammo as a US .308". The projectiles and load of propellant are expressed in grains, even in metric ammo. GRAINS OF WHAT I ASK YOU??? Grains of rice, grains of sand???

Then there is US and UK gallons -who's idea was that? Stupid bastards. I know one is 3.8l and the other approx 4.54l, but seriously...why????

Mick :lol:
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby seiko1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:52 am

Ratmick wrote:I came to Australia from the UK in 1971

1972 for me from Nottingham :kuda:
seiko1

Postby triway » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:31 pm

I hate whingers!

:twisted: :lol:
www.techspec-aus.com.au
www.trackdaypro.com.au
triway
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby photomike666 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:05 pm

UK system is really screwed up, and you are nearly right Mick - Fuel has been sold in Litres since the early 80's, but when I left in 2004 they still measured economy is Miles per gallon. They still run speedo in MHP, but all the Motorway sign posts have been moved to 1/3 & 2/3 mile (which is almost 1km and 0.5km). They will go metric properly one day.

Even better is the servings in pubs. beer is still sold in pints, but they went metric with the spirits in 95/96. Spirits were sold a measure known as 1/6 Gill. no one actually knows what a Gill is, or how much fluid that should be. Spirits are now sold in measures of 25ml. I think 25ml is slightly bigger than 16/ gill.

Uh Oh, now I'm talking dribble :lol:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666

Bike: ZX10R

Postby smithy5 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:20 pm

I know what you are saying Pete..........

I put my car in for a service the other day and I thought I would take a train ride while I was waiting........... the friggin machine and the girly behind the counter refused to take my pennies, so I flashed a pound at her and she withered on the spot.................. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby seiko1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:09 pm

photomike666 wrote:UK system is really screwed up, and you are nearly right Mick - Fuel has been sold in Litres since the early 80's, but when I left in 2004 they still measured economy is Miles per gallon. They still run speedo in MHP, but all the Motorway sign posts have been moved to 1/3 & 2/3 mile (which is almost 1km and 0.5km). They will go metric properly one day.

Even better is the servings in pubs. beer is still sold in pints, but they went metric with the spirits in 95/96. Spirits were sold a measure known as 1/6 Gill. no one actually knows what a Gill is, or how much fluid that should be. Spirits are now sold in measures of 25ml. I think 25ml is slightly bigger than 16/ gill.

Uh Oh, now I'm talking dribble :lol:

More dribble
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gill_(volume)
seiko1

Postby kaneg » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:41 pm

well i don't know about the rest of ya, but i'm having a good chuckle :lol: :lol:
kaneg
KSRC SPONSOR
KSRC SPONSOR

Bike: Suzuki

Postby seiko1 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:04 pm

kaneg wrote:well i don't know about the rest of ya, but i'm having a good chuckle :lol: :lol:

Thanks for the two thousand stickers by the way mate :D
seiko1

Postby Ali600+150 » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:38 pm

kaneg wrote:Remember folks the metric system became official in 1968 :shock:

REDCARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You know why Kaneg :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: You know why ;)
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z750

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion