WELCOME TO LAMS BIKE and L/P-PLATE SECTION!!! :D

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

WELCOME TO LAMS BIKE and L/P-PLATE SECTION!!! :D

Postby Six Addict » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:48 pm

It seems that over the last weekend, the powers that be have decided that a section devoted to the LAMS crowd. These can be people who have just started motorcycling, or a coming back to motorcycling after a break.

In this forum, we will attempt to discuss as many issues as possible, ranging from how to go about getting your licence, how to go about buying your first bike, how to go about riding in a safe but confident manner and most of all, how to have the most fun you can have with your pants on ;)

this section will also be largely based on the new ninja 250, any specific gremlims, quirks, modifications, settings, performance enhancements.

If you are thinking about taking up motorcycling, thinking about buying a kawasaki (and why wouldn't you :lol: ), or have any queries now that you are a newbie... this is the place to be... you should always introduce yourself to the forum under the introductions section... then you should post up a pic of your new ride (so we can all perve on your bike) and tell you what a wonderful purchase you have made... (assuming of course you bought a kawasaki 8))

we will also endevour to get out on some learner friendly runs where you can ride with other learners but also some more experienced riders who can show how to ride safely in control by using "THE PACE".

There are awlways regular rides (you can find them in the rides and get togethers section) with rides in sydney being held almost every sunday and a mothly run being held on the 3rd friday of the month in sydney.

I know that from personal experience, that all the "senior" shall we say riders are always helpful in terms of riding tips, maintenance tips, tips about life and tips about alcohol consumption :lol:

anywho that enough from me, your moderator, right now so happy posting!!!

shiny side up, rubber side down.

Owen
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Re: WELCOME TO LAMS BIKE and L/P-PLATE SECTION!!! :D

Postby mike-s » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:18 pm

Just remember, there's no such thing as a stupid question, only a stupid answer :)
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:51 pm

does this mean all the 'How do I make my 250 go faster' type questions will all live in here now ?? :lol: :lol:

Nice work Owen, hope this section helps all the noobs out there with good advice.

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby robracer » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:04 pm

Beaut thread Owen, this section should be a popular one considering the influx of new riders recently 8)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby fireyrob » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:18 pm

Gosling1 wrote:does this mean all the 'How do I make my 250 go faster' type questions will all live in here now ?? :lol: :lol:

I know a quick solution that puts a smile on ya face :D

Great idea for this thread! And being the moderator, Im assuming you have all the answers ;)
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z1000

Postby Six Addict » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:27 pm

fireyrob wrote:Great idea for this thread! And being the moderator, Im assuming you have all the answers ;)

well i will be consulting my 250 brainstrust... ie you... oh hang on you ditched the 250 brigade... no love for you... :lol:

im not claiming to have all the answers, i obviously seem enthusiastic enough to keep this thread lively... and to keep things on track and in an orderly manner :shock:

u guys havnt seen the state of my bedroom obviously... or the unwashed state of my bike :shock: :lol:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby Six Addict » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:30 pm

[quote="Gosling1"]does this mean all the 'How do I make my 250 go faster' type questions will all live in here now ?? :lol: :lol:[quote]

gos im not sure there will be any advice able to make the GPX project go faster...

but yes, if going fast is what u want im sure i have 2 bits of advice.... 8)
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby Black Magic » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:39 pm

Great idea Owen- well done! 8)

(You know that this means you don't get the Gixxer now... you need to OWN a 250 to be able to help the newbies! :P )

'Life is short- break the rules.
Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly,
Love truely,
Laugh uncontrollably,
And NEVER regret anything that made you smile.'

GSXR 600 K7 'Black Magic'
Black Magic
Team Suzuki
Team Suzuki

State: Queensland

Postby Six Addict » Mon Jul 07, 2008 5:45 pm

Black Magic wrote:Great idea Owen- well done! 8)

(You know that this means you don't get the Gixxer now... you need to OWN a 250 to be able to help the newbies! :P )

no help in here is to come from people all shapes and sizes!!! so infact the more bikes i ride, the more experiences i will gain and therefore be able to help the noobs in a more wholistic way ;) so i will still need that testride of the gixxer 8)

not my idea so i cant take credit for it... but ill gladly try and nurture this space....
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby Black Magic » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:06 pm

baby_ninja wrote:the more bikes i ride, the more experiences i will gain and therefore be able to help the noobs in a more wholistic way ;) so i will still need that testride of the gixxer 8)

'A' for effort Owen - let the games begin.....

'Life is short- break the rules.
Forgive quickly,
Kiss slowly,
Love truely,
Laugh uncontrollably,
And NEVER regret anything that made you smile.'

GSXR 600 K7 'Black Magic'
Black Magic
Team Suzuki
Team Suzuki

State: Queensland

Postby el250 » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:35 pm

I have two questions.

1/ What is a LAMS BIKE?

2/ Why promote this as being for newer riders L/P Plate section, but then post that "this section will also be largely based on the new ninja 250"?

oops now a third question, why not just make a section for the ninja 250?
el250

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby Six Addict » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:59 pm

LAMS bike is a Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme bike...

it means that now learners can ride approved bike up to 660cc in capacity, as long as they are under a certain power/weight ratio...

this section is for new riders on their L or P plates or perhaps even anybody wanting to chat about 250s or othe LAMS approved bikes.

I also mentioned it will be based largely on the ninja 250 as i dare say the bike would currently be kawasaki australia's biggest selling bike as well as their biggest selling 250 by far...

on a kawasaki sportsbike forum, a discussion about their latest learner "sportsbike" makes sense and it has to be said that ovr the past few months many people have been brought to forums because of this bike ... other kawasaki bikes that will no doubt be discussed are the GPZ250/GPX250, ZZR250 and ZXR250... and seeing as we here at KSRC dont really mind if u dont ride a kawasaki, and the fact that mambers here also have knowledge of other makes and models, then other bikes will no doubt be discussed in this part of the forum...

incase i havnt made myself clear, this section will also aim to give riding tips, pearls of wisdom from our many senior members, and discussion on anyother topics than any new or young riders wish to ask... :D, and as another member has already stated, there are no stupid questions here, only stupid answers...

i know for a fact i will be asking many noob questions into the future, even tho they've given me the reigns over this section...

i will be asking for contributions no doubt from senior members and those who have just gone through or are currently going through the process of obtaining their motorcycle licence... i will also be making sure that new members get their questions answered and no-one misses out on gaining knowledge through the site...

:D
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Postby el250 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 12:13 am

Thank you for taking the time to respond indepth, much appreciated.

Personally, I consider myself to have a degree of intelligence, but when it comes to motor bikes I am way out of my depth. After not having ridden a motor bike in over 20 years, I got my L's a few months ago for purely economic reasons. In that time I have only ridden to and from work, except once where I did go for a random ride. To be honest I had no idea how truly bad motorists are in general towards motor bikes on the road. I have learnt to treat every parked car as a potential obstacle to enter my immediate path, and that started the day after my two day learner's course finished. Our instructor did mention a couple of times and gave examples of riders coming into contact with cars that pull out with no indicators or due care, but as is the case you go 'yeah yeah'. But it only takes it to actually happen to you to have the point driven home. Add to that the way cars sit right up your coight even though you have an 'L' plate quite visible, or cut you off when overtaking you, or just pulling alongside of you because you are speed limited (80kms) and giving you crap certainly makes me appreciate bikers more for what they have to put up with on top of wet roads, raining and hail, and bugger me the WIND and even the cold. But I am enjoying it and relaxing more, and do look forward to actually riding with someone else sometime so I can learn more and try new things. Unfortunately due to no biker friends and family/work commitment it seems unlikely. That was one of the reasons I joined this website, I thought there might be someone from the Central Coast who knows things and rides regularly who is approachable to pass on some experience and tips. Showing my complete ignorance though I joined the first Kawasaki website I found that was reputable, only to find that sportsbikes have nothing to do with my 'girlie bike'.

Thanks again.
el250

Bike: Other Kawi

Postby ty » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:18 am

Punch a hole in it and screw it onto the number plate bracket - easy.

BTW great idea from Owen and the 'Power(s) that be'
ty
If you have no fear, you're not going fast enough.
Never argue with an idiot. He'll drag you down to his level, then beat you with experience.
ty
Team Ninja

Bike: Honda

Postby MadKaw » Tue Jul 08, 2008 8:57 am

El250
There is a ride almost every Sunday from the Pie in the Sky on the Old Pacific Highway. I'm sure if you turned up there would be plenty of ppl to talk to and offer advice. There is usually a few learners or newer riders there so tag on and go for a ride.
Most of the componenets in a EL are probly in other Kawi's and riding techniques are still the same so don't worry about the EL not being a sportsbike, we even let Honda riders join us.. :-)

Owen,
Nice work and some good posts, keep it up... :-)
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion