Pajero Harmonic balancer and worn crank end.

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

Pajero Harmonic balancer and worn crank end.

Postby Strika » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:19 pm

There is an old (3.0V6) Pajero here on the property which I have been told I can use if I can get it going. It has a few things which need fixing, but the only one I am unsure of is the harmonic balancer. Here's the story...

The harmonic balancer kept falling off, so they bought a new one and it does the same. So today I inspected it and the end of the crank is worn. Now, I could do the old bush trick and weld the fucker on, but to me, that's a very final solution which precludes it ever being fixed properly in my eyes. What I wanted to ask, is if you think it might be possible to build up the crank end with some weld and then machine/grind it down so the balancer stays on? My concern, is that the crank may not like the heat from the welder. I don't want to have to strip the motor and pull out the crank to do it, as then I may as well buy a new/2nd hand crank.

Thoughts?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Re: Pajero Harmonic balancer and worn crank end.

Postby Wattie » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Tack it on :-)
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:30 pm

Pajero 4WD Club of Victoria wrote:......this is a common problem on these engines. if you have all the bits and the timing gear was not damaged in all this the easy way to repair on the cheap is to get some loctite bearing fit, a new genuine bolt approx $8.00 then follow these steps.
NOTE this is an effective repair and easy to do.
1 apply bearing fit to the balancer and crankshaft then fit the balancer and tighten bolt hand tight and leave over night.
2 next day remove the bolt. using a centre punch mark a spot between the crank and balancer best is where the woodruff key was and drill a 6mm hole about 15mm deep. now cut the head off a 6 mm bolt (or get a piece of 6mm stainless rod)and insert into the drilled hole. i used a piece of 6mm valve stem
3 make sure the bolt/rod does not stick out past the balancer
4 fit the new bolt and torque to 155nm
5 enjoy driving arround and start saving to do the job correctly......

Pinched straight off their forum. Here is the link to that discussion - looks like a really common problem, you need to source a cheap V6 Magna and swap motors over !! ;)

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Strika » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Gos...love your work, I'll try the temp fix first. It's not to get it on the road as such, just to run around the property in. I'm struggling to walk at the moment, so it's drive up or not go at all. While it's dry, I can get the old Saab front wheel drive up there, but as soon as it rains, it's impossible and only a 4wd or dirty with a good back tyre will make it. Even then it's veeeeerrrrrry skatey!!! :) But without some wheels that will get up the hill, I can't keep the pups exercised. In winter, even getting to my house up the driveway in the front wheel drive is going to be a challenge, I may have to reverse up :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:04 pm

I liked the sound of that particular post in the 4WD forum - old mate sounded like he knew exactly what was needed.

Funny thing though - if you read onto the 2nd page, the mods closed the discussion because a couple of heavyweights were bitching at each other about who was right and wrong !!!! Someone dared criticise bush mechanics. !! FMD won't somebody think of the children ? :lol: :lol: :lol:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Strika » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:07 pm

Another guy has said this...................

Done a few repairs on pajero's with this problem you will probably find the keyway has flogged out out a bit and the nose of the crank slightly out of round, what I 've done on a couple is to spray weld the worn areas and bring back to specs by hand eg. file, emery tape on nose of crank and die grinder and woodruff key cutter to restore the keyway, painfully slow but saves removing the crank. Using liquid metal or shims won't last for long before everthings loose again.

So I think I will attempt to sort it this way first.
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Strika » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:09 pm

Gosling1 wrote:I liked the sound of that particular post in the 4WD forum - old mate sounded like he knew exactly what was needed.

Funny thing though - if you read onto the 2nd page, the mods closed the discussion because a couple of heavyweights were bitching at each other about who was right and wrong !!!! Someone dared criticise bush mechanics. !! FMD won't somebody think of the children ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Hey...what makes you think wankers are exclusive to in here Gos????? :lol:
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby MAXUMIS » Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:44 pm

Like WW2 ,the Mitsubishi is a heap of oil using shit . As for the Wank factor there's Nothing worse than a cock sucker !
PS Nothing meant bad !! Lol .
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby bonester » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:13 pm

Pajero is supposed to be Spanish for WANKER.... :lol:
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby MAXUMIS » Wed Mar 26, 2014 10:20 pm

bonester wrote:Pajero is supposed to be Spanish for WANKER.... :lol:

Thank god I dislike pajero's then .. :lol:
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Return to Off Topic Discussion