sprint training

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

sprint training

Postby 98ninja » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:59 pm

Has anyone here done any sprint (run) training?
Specifically 200-400m events?
I'm interested how you train for these events.
99 zx9r - back
98ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX9R
State: New South Wales

Re: sprint training

Postby Jonnymac » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:45 pm

High intensity
Short bursts
Strength training
Crossfit
Plyometric training

Depends on how much info you want......
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby 98ninja » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:02 pm

Jonnymac wrote:High intensity
Short bursts
Strength training
Crossfit
Plyometric training

Depends on how much info you want......

I've been doing leg weights and plyometric work for a while now. I've been doing 10 X 100m twice a week but I wanted to get some specific training sessions.

I had a go today and did
5 X 30m starts
5 X 100m then
5 X 40m with a running start.
Ideally I'd like to know what the good (sub 25 200m) guys do.
today was just a guess at getting specific.
99 zx9r - back
98ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby rooster » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:37 am

Take a dozen laxettes 100 metres away from a locked loo with the key 100 metres in the opposite direction do this a couple of times a week amazing benefits :shock: :shock: :kuda: or do like I do put your feet up and watch the sportsman do it on TV :lol: :lol:
If life is like a box of chocolates, why do I always get the laxettes?
rooster
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Z1000

Postby Jonnymac » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:05 am

Ok so I've never done sprint training personally and that info I gave you earlier was indicative of what you would need.

I can't give you specific stuff that the real sprinters use but there's plenty of info out there.

Here's a YouTube link to some training techniques

http://youtu.be/PFT5pffICQU

With your strength training in your legs you need to make sure its explosive training not just lifting heavy weights. You shouldn't just be doing your legs either. Your whole body needs to be a spring.
Some of the most explosive athletes in the world are Olympic lifters. You should be incorporating Olympic lifting into your sessions. That will give you total body workouts as well, especially your core.
Kettle bells are also very beneficial for your core so adding them will also help with that explosive power.
What you need is to create more fast twitch fibers throughout your body. Unfortunately if your white(Anglo Saxon) your already behind the eight ball.....
Be careful with your plyometric training it is extremely taxing on your body and can cause stress related injuries.

What are you training for btw?
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby tim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:30 pm

He's becoming a hitman :)
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby rooster » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:33 pm

Maybe a getaway runner :D :D
If life is like a box of chocolates, why do I always get the laxettes?
rooster
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Z1000

Postby tim » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:01 pm

Lol, pick pocket?
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby photomike666 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:51 pm

6 weeks strength training
- heavy in the gym
- uphill sprints - standing start on the incline

6 weeks power
- gym 1 set heavy, 1 set 60% done fast (make weights rattle on the bar)
- sprints on long(ish) grass

6 weeks speed
- 75% max weight in gym done fast + heavy set once a week to maintain strength
- down hill springs to build speed
- plyomectrics
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby 98ninja » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:04 pm

Jonnymac wrote:Ok so I've never done sprint training personally and that info I gave you earlier was indicative of what you would need.

I can't give you specific stuff that the real sprinters use but there's plenty of info out there.

Here's a YouTube link to some training techniques

http://youtu.be/PFT5pffICQU

With your strength training in your legs you need to make sure its explosive training not just lifting heavy weights. You shouldn't just be doing your legs either. Your whole body needs to be a spring.
Some of the most explosive athletes in the world are Olympic lifters. You should be incorporating Olympic lifting into your sessions. That will give you total body workouts as well, especially your core.
Kettle bells are also very beneficial for your core so adding them will also help with that explosive power.
What you need is to create more fast twitch fibers throughout your body. Unfortunately if your white(Anglo Saxon) your already behind the eight ball.....
Be careful with your plyometric training it is extremely taxing on your body and can cause stress related injuries.

What are you training for btw?

I've come off 7 months of training for a half ironman triathlon. I'm a bit over the four hours a day and the swimming. So I've started looking at local athletics and an event in March.

This time last year I was doing a running group in Newcastle and I could consistently do a 2:20 800m but that was the limit of my top end speed. So this is an experiment to
1. See how quick I can do a 200m and a 400m
2. See how lean I can get
3. See if a few months of speed work can help my half marathon pace and
4. Fill in my spare time because I now live in the middle of nowhere.

At the moment (I'm off work) my week consists of
Sunday - 60km ride and 1km swim
Monday - 60km ride and leg weights/plyometric circuit
Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - 1-2 hour sprint session
Thursday - 60km ride and swim
Friday - 60km ride and leg weights/plyometric circuit
Saturday - usually a sprint day or a rest depending on how my legs feel.

I know this all endurance based but I'm looking at losing some of the endurance for more track work.
99 zx9r - back
98ninja
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby EDU » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:47 pm

I trained and competed in 110m hurdles when I was young (13-16yo), tough training... LOTS of time spent in the gym. LOTS of technique to develop. You really don't spend a lot of time running when you look at it. Most of the time I ran I was either dragging something (tires/bags of sand/pulling a trolley with almost flat tires/etc) or wasn't running at 100% pace (short sprints or doing 130m races). Since you won't be doing hurdles, there's less technique involved as you don't have to worry about jumping or clearing anything but there's still A LOT!

I'm not even going to go in to the training itself because it differs not only from coach to coach but it also needs to be trimmed to fit the athlete's needs.

It's good that you seem to be used to running as it should help but to be honest, they are VERY different types of running and require different things from your muscles/body (white muscle vs red muscle). On a 200m race you breathe maybe 4-5 times MAX. It's almost all about explosion and a good start. The 400m is one of toughest disciplines to master (along with the 800m I think) because it requires both explosion and stamina and you need to really know your body and your best pace in order to do a good time. It's also not all bout about doing the fastest time but controlling the race to suit YOUR best time. Anyways, like I said... tough!
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Nelso » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:42 pm

Jonnymac wrote:What you need is to create more fast twitch fibers throughout your body.

You can not create more fast twitch fibres through training (excluding theories of hyperplasia and growth hormones). All you are doing through training is making the ones you already have, more efficient and larger (hypertrophy). If you make the white muscle fibres (fast twitch) larger and the red muscle fibres (slow twitch) stay the same, you have effectively increased the cross sectional proportion of fast twitch fibres to slow twitch fibres in the cross sectional area of the muscle belly, which gives the lay person the idea that they have increased fast twitch fibres.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Nelso » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:52 pm

photomike666 wrote:6 weeks strength training
- heavy in the gym
- uphill sprints - standing start on the incline

6 weeks power
- gym 1 set heavy, 1 set 60% done fast (make weights rattle on the bar)
- sprints on long(ish) grass

6 weeks speed
- 75% max weight in gym done fast + heavy set once a week to maintain strength
- down hill springs to build speed
- plyomectrics

Whoa, that's taken me back a few years! :shock: This type of periodisation of training comes straight out of Tudor Bumpa's 'Periodisation of Strength' from the late 80's / early 90's; sorry to say, elite athletes had progressed past this by the mid to late 90's. If you are training for power, you need to train for power all of the time. Periodisation between strength, power and speed should happen in your daily or weekly plan, not in 6 week blocks.
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Nelso » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:15 pm

Sorry guys, I really don't like getting on the net and telling people their ideas are wrong or outdated, but on topics that I know a bit about, I can't help myself when I know that my experiences can help. Why do I think I know better? Good question. I don't necessarily think I'm right about everything, but I know a bit in this area. This is going to sound like I'm big-noting myself, but it's more to let you know my background so you can see that this is an area i know a bit about. As a young bloke I competed in Powerlifting for a few years, won a few state and national titles and held a heap of national records. I then went on to study at Uni and get a degree in Physical Education (as a mature age student) with my best subjects being all of the Biomedical Science subjects like Functional Anatomy, Exercise Physiology, Biomechanics etc. which (back then) were combined with the Exercise Science faculty so we actually got to learn some pretty cool stuff. I then went on after Uni and did a heap more study in Strength and Conditioning as it was my passion and worked as a trainer for a number of professional football clubs including an NRL club. Since then, I have trained a heap of young athletes, achieving some pretty decent results over the past 15 years. After this, I kind of know from experience what works and what gets the best results as well as having the 'book' knowledge to understand why it works.
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jonnymac » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Nelso wrote:
Jonnymac wrote:What you need is to create more fast twitch fibers throughout your body.

You can not create more fast twitch fibres through training (excluding theories of hyperplasia and growth hormones). All you are doing through training is making the ones you already have, more efficient and larger (hypertrophy). If you make the white muscle fibres (fast twitch) larger and the red muscle fibres (slow twitch) stay the same, you have effectively increased the cross sectional proportion of fast twitch fibres to slow twitch fibres in the cross sectional area of the muscle belly, which gives the lay person the idea that they have increased fast twitch fibres.

What he said......same result though lol
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Next

Return to Off Topic Discussion