New Laptop

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

New Laptop

Postby robracer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:36 pm

So what's better Mac or PC?
I mainly do photo editing & some graphic arts but my current PC is not cutting it,
Have always had PC but am possibly considering a change.
Current Lappy is 2.5 years old :-( didn't last long.
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: New Laptop

Postby dickfaber » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 pm

18 months is the age when computers get superceeded, yeah it sucks.
photo and video editing/graphic manipulation is a killer as well; its the effing software that leans heavy on the computer specs.

personally i am a pc person, but macs have been, and continue to be the bees knees for what you're doing./ nad they are more expensive because of it (and the hipster factor too).
if you want to stay with a pc lappy, you need the best specs you can find (i7 gen3, at least 8gig ram, ssd or 10000rpm hdd) but also important is super powerful separate video card. something like a gaming laptop; and prices can reach silly here (i'm talking over 4 grand!)

after that, its upto how thich is your wallet, and what you like the look of!
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6

Postby dilligaf » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:26 pm

My wife is an editor and she runs a 15" MacBook pro as its got the graphics she needs for her editing software. Not cheap though.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby Naked Twin » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:13 pm

Mac is great if you other hardware like iPads, iPhones etc. I love them as I have a mac, two. iPads iPhone and iPods. With the Apple TV you have the biggest screen available in the house.

I run my tv through my mac and can stream it anywhere within range, which is about 100m as it turns out.

The apps for photo editing are cheap for punters like me an better than I can handle, but I like with a shared platform between iPad and mac is easy to share
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Kermit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:16 am

Not a mac fan, I would only buy one if I had existing hardware/software and devices.

Are you doing more than 20gb a day of editing?

If yes, look for a 10,000rpm hard drive. If no, than grab an ssd.

SSD manufactures (escape clause) base warranty on how much is being written onto the drive and void warranty if more than 20gb is being written per day.

At the moment best bang for buck SSD would be OCZ (speed, read/write) and samsung (power consumption) drives.

i7 cpu and a decent amount of ram as already mentioned.

I use lightroom and photoshop (CS6) on my PC and laptop, my set ups are basically custom using the above spec's
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Nelso » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:12 am

Everyone I know that does anything with graphic design uses a Mac.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby robracer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:09 am

Hear you Nelso, but turns out we were lucky because most of our digital Printers use PC based firmware including our $250K flatbed printer, all our 3 of rips are PC based
& 18 years ago I made the decision to go PC for work because Mac was hellishly expensive ...... most of the software was at least a third more expensive for the same bloody product.
Our systems don't fall over like Mac would like you to think they do & we have not had any dramas with techs, & local Mac techs charge double (my wife used to work for a company that just does Mac tech support)
Its hard....... as I know a Mac would do the job perfect but I don't know if I want to change after all these years & that would end up being the only computer that is Mac compared to the other 9 odd computers we used that are PC.
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby photomike666 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:46 pm

If you're prepared to have a $250K printer, doesn't seem so bad having a $4K laptop to create the graphics for it to print!

If all your other machines are PC, having one MAC makes lots of file transfer difficulties, plus there is no redundant back up.

Also +1 on the fast HDD. Photoshop uses swap drive memory - large slices of data don't fit in memory so it uses a portion of the hard drive as temporary storage. Until SSD becomes suitable for large volume transfer, a high speed HDD would suit better.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby robracer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Thanks Mike, this one is more for personal use :P I am trying to avoid paying 4K, BUT if I can get something good enough then I could get rid of the desktop one at work all together & just have the one lappy for everything mmmmmm
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Burky » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:13 pm

Mac with windows also installed :) best of both worlds

New Macbook Pro just released with the retina screen
"I live in my own little world. But it's OK. They know me here"
Burky
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby -b-r-e-n-t- » Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:16 pm

Retina 15" Macbook Pro. Bloody awesome machine, especially for the work you're looking at. Apps like Aperture go a long way for photo editing. Like Burky said, use boot camp and you can have Windows installed as well. It has the price tag but you can't really go wrong with them. Make sure you get AppleCare (extended warranty) with it though. Unibody motherboard design so if one one thing craps out, pretty much everything else does too.
2012 Black ZX-10R - Roady
Mods: Zero Gravity dark screen.
2010 Black ZX-6R - For Sale
Mods: Zero Gravity dark screen. Yoshimura R77 Carbon slip-on.
2010 Blue Ninja 250R - Sold
Mods: Akrapovic Carbon Fibre Slip On

...boldly going nowhere...
-b-r-e-n-t-
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Return to Off Topic Discussion