Hooking up Fox in other rooms

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

Hooking up Fox in other rooms

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:43 pm

Been working on this all day, got it sorted and very happy with the results.

This set-up does not allow different shows on different TV's at the same time - only seperate boxes allow this. But if you just want to put the signal into another room - or rooms - this is one of the best ways out there.

1. Buy this Digitech kit from Jaycar. $89.95. The above link is to the distributor (Electus) site, the kit # is QC3683.

This kit allows the use of normal Cat 5 computer cable to run your signal out to other TV's. I have run 2 Cat 5 cables runs - one to the main bedroom (only about 10m) and one out to the 4th Dimension Bourbon Bar (about 40m total length).

The Fox box I have is a newer IQ2 HD box. It only has 2 sets of outputs on the back - HDMI (which is connected to the main loungeroom TV) and component output BUT using a digital audio output (i.e. - 1 RCA plug only, not your usual 2 plugs, red&white, L&R). So the component output is 4 leads only, not 5. The Digitech kit above, also works on 4 RCA plugs only, using digital audio for the audio feed, plus the usual Y, Pb, Pr used in component video. The IQ2 outputs a signal to both sets of outputs all the time, so you don't need to switch between them or select an output etc.

All you do is this - run your Cat 5 cable under the house or in the roof etc - to the room you want to bung the Fox signal to. You can use wall-plates if you like, I didn't for this install as I wanted as few connections in the circuit as possible. So its just one lead all the way out to the shed. Its also easier to run the Cat 5 through conduit (for external runs) without the end connectors crimped. I had a mate from work who is an IT guru, he has the correct crimper & wire stripper for Cat 5, this helped a lot as I ran the cable first, added a few spare metres at both ends - and then he crimped the lot up.

Once you have run the Cat 5 cable - then you plug it into the 'transmitter' box, which needs to be located near the main TV and IQ2 box. Plug the 3 video composite leads from this box, into the back of the IQ2 box. Run 1 further RCA cable from the digital audio plug on the box, to the digital audio output on the IQ2. (You don't need special component RCA cables for this - standard composite R/W/Y leads are fine, just make sure you get the colour coding correct :kuda: . Included in the kit are 2 infrared leads. One of these plugs into the back of the 'transmitter' box, and you position the 2 small emitters about 5cm away from the IR remote pick-up on the front of the IQ2.....

In the other room - you will need a spare power point. The Digitech kit comes with a powered 'receiver' box that runs a +5V power supply to the far end. This helps boost the signal over the Cat 5 cable. Plug the Cat 5 cable into the back of the 'receiver' box. Plug in the power supply and plug in the other IR lead with the pick-up sitting under the TV. This IR set-up - allows you to use the standard Fox remote in your other room - yep, the Cat 5 cable transmits the Fox remote back up the cable to the main room and you can use the Fox remote in your other room exactly as you would in the main loungeroom. Its way cool :lol: .

From the front of the 'receiver' box - all you need to do now is plug in the 3 component cables from the box to the TV. Most TV's these days have at least 1 video input using component leads. You are now about 90% done.....

The last piece of the puzzle is getting the audio signal from the digital output on the 'receiver' box to the TV. Most TV's only have the old-school audio inputs Red & White for L & R. Not many have digital audio input. If you do, then just 1 RCA lead can be plugged into the 'receiver' box and plugged straight into the TV and you are on the way....

Otherwise you have to do what I did - which is to buy one of these digital to stereo output converters from ebay. $40.

You just connect the digital output from your 'receiver' box into the digital input on this converter using a normal RCA lead - then hook up a standard audio lead with red and white connectors, from the output on the audio converter to the audio input plugs on the back of your TV. This converter is also powered using a 5V adapter - so you will also need power for this.

The other good news with this audio converter, is that it includes a 3.5mm headphone output - the unit sends the audio output to both sets of outputs all the time, you don't need to select between the outputs. This 3.5mm jack - allows you to hook up the audio converter to an amplifier - so if you want MAX played in your other room through a decent amplifier and speakers, you can do so easily.

Yes it might sound like a lot of rooting around - but the results are fucken outstanding !!!! No signal loss *whatsoever* between the Fox picture in the loungeroom and that in the shed. The Digitech converter is meant to allow 1080p signal over 50m with no loss of picture quality - and I can vouch for that claim. The picture is perfect !!! I haven't yet received the audio converter - but will update the post once that arrives and I see (hear) how this works.

The other thing is that the current Digitech kit covers a couple of different wavelengths/bandwidths and supports the newest IQ2 remote bandwidths.

Best addition to the pub ever !! This has only been done so I can watch the AFL out in the shed.....and maybe pump some MAX through an amplifier for those shed parties :lol: :lol: :lol:

Really happy with the results. Total cost is only $90 + $40 + a few bob for the Cat 5 cable - plus a few hours time.

:kuda: :kuda: :kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Re: Hooking up Fox in other rooms

Postby Strika » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:23 pm

Gos, could you please repeat the bit from 1. on??? I got a little confused? I don't really like cats either, so not sure if I want 5 of the little bastards running around my house just to get foxtel from the Caravan to the annex. ;)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 7:43 pm

Strika wrote:.......Gos, could you please repeat the bit from 1. on??? I got a little confused? I don't really like cats either, so not sure if I want 5 of the little bastards running around my house just to get foxtel from the Caravan to the annex. ;).......

1. Run long blue computer cable from 1 tv to the other
2. Plug computer cable into back of box, plug leads from box into Fox box.
3. Plug computer cable into back of other box in shed.
4. Plug leads from other box into back of TV in shed
5. Add audio converter in shed
6. Sit back and enjoy Fox in the shed :kuda:

geez that was heaps easier :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Smitty » Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:19 pm

ummmm Gos

why didnt you just buy an elcheapo wireless AV transmitter ? one that plugs into any PVR DVD player Foxbox
and just transmits the picture whatever is playing on that device?
yeah...I know they have a limited range (usually about 200m) but I would have thought that to be the easiest way.
They cost usually $60-90

you see .. i like things simple :kuda:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Smitty wrote:ummmm Gos

why didnt you just buy an elcheapo wireless AV transmitter ? one that plugs into any PVR DVD player Foxbox
and just transmits the picture whatever is playing on that device?
yeah...I know they have a limited range (usually about 200m) but I would have thought that to be the easiest way.
They cost usually $60-90

you see .. i like things simple :kuda:

el-cheapo wireless AV transmitters are cheap for a reason mate ;) - may be OK inside the house for short runs, but no way was an wireless signal going to make it from inside my place out to the back room in the 4th. You would have to see it to understand.......

And - most of the reviews I read on CNet and Whirlpool - all panned wireless systems pretty badly. Loss of signal quality was the biggest issue, followed by interference from other sources - phones, microwaves - all sorts of things. The limited range of signal is nothing like 200m either according to a lot of the posters on Whirlpool - some wireless AV units struggled to get a signal into the room next door to the transmitter, going through 1 single gyprock wall.......over a distance of only 6-8m.

Bugger that - I have perfect picture quality now in both rooms, with no interference from any sources. Another plus, is that we can hook up the PS3 out in the shed and the young fellah can still play on-line by plugging in the Cat 5 to the PS3 in the shed, then we just plug the lounge-room end of the shed Cat 5 connection into the wall-plate behind the TV where the PS3 normally plugs into - this is connected to the modem ;) he is out there tonight with a mate playing COD3 and I don't hear anything in the house so its win-win :lol:

8)
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Postby Strika » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:52 pm

Gosling1 wrote:
Strika wrote:.......Gos, could you please repeat the bit from 1. on??? I got a little confused? I don't really like cats either, so not sure if I want 5 of the little bastards running around my house just to get foxtel from the Caravan to the annex. ;).......

1. Run long blue computer cable from 1 tv to the other
2. Plug computer cable into back of box, plug leads from box into Fox box.
3. Plug computer cable into back of other box in shed.
4. Plug leads from other box into back of TV in shed
5. Add audio converter in shed
6. Sit back and enjoy Fox in the shed :kuda:

geez that was heaps easier :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah... much easier to understand....... you only need to re explain things from 1. onwards now!!! :) :) :? :? :? :? :?
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Smitty » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:10 pm

Gosling1 wrote:
el-cheapo wireless AV transmitters are cheap for a reason mate ;) - may be OK inside the house for short runs, but no way was an wireless signal going to make it from inside my place out to the back room in the 4th. You would have to see it to understand.......

And - most of the reviews I read on CNet and Whirlpool - all panned wireless systems pretty badly. Loss of signal quality was the biggest issue, followed by interference from other sources - phones, microwaves - all sorts of things. The limited range of signal is nothing like 200m either according to a lot of the posters on Whirlpool - some wireless AV units struggled to get a signal into the room next door to the transmitter, going through 1 single gyprock wall.......over a distance of only 6-8m.

Bugger that - I have perfect picture quality now in both rooms, with no interference from any sources. Another plus, is that we can hook up the PS3 out in the shed and the young fellah can still play on-line by plugging in the Cat 5 to the PS3 in the shed, then we just plug the lounge-room end of the shed Cat 5 connection into the wall-plate behind the TV where the PS3 normally plugs into - this is connected to the modem ;) he is out there tonight with a mate playing COD3 and I don't hear anything in the house so its win-win :lol:

8)

ok mate
thanks for the headsup on that :)
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Return to Off Topic Discussion