national motorcycle museum

Non Bike related Discussion - no politics or religion pls.

national motorcycle museum

Postby mick_dundee » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:17 pm

Has moved :( Was one of the things I had plans to go see whilst in Canberra doing the tourist thing, bastards, now 600kms further up the road in Nabiac damn it. Shouldn't really be called the "national" motorcycle museum now either as no longer in the nations capital.
A good mate will bail you out of jail, a true mate will be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Damn, we fucked up!!!"
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Re: national motorcycle museum

Postby dave#3 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:41 pm

Try to keep up Mick, we were up there about a month ago. It's been in Nabiac for a fair while now .... gotta be at least 5 years that I can remember, maybe more.
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby Mel » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:28 pm

and some great roads between Canberra and the Museum :D
2010 ZX6R
1997 ZX7R
I ride like a girl...
Mel
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: ACT

Postby mick_dundee » Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:34 pm

Seen a few references to Nabiac didn't know wtf was there till today... so ya reckon it's worth the extra 600k's Mel?
A good mate will bail you out of jail, a true mate will be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Damn, we fucked up!!!"
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Postby Mel » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:20 am

mick_dundee wrote:Seen a few references to Nabiac didn't know wtf was there till today... so ya reckon it's worth the extra 600k's Mel?

Definitely - as long as you DON'T take the freeway there, that sucks arse. Well it does from the bitch seat, I'm sure it does to ride as well :roll:

Take a couple of days to get up there and take the windy way there - and you'll get to ride some of the best roads NSW has to offer in my opinion :D

When are you doing it? I might be tempted to ride at least some of the way with you if work doesn't get in the way :D
2010 ZX6R
1997 ZX7R
I ride like a girl...
Mel
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby frog » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:22 am

I was pretty impressed Mick but the freeway ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
Not really big enough either.
I didnt know Suzuki imported that many RE5's (rotaries) most of them must be at Nabiac :lol:
Jedi of the darKside
Just because you can ride, doesnt mean you should. My reason on this earth is an example to others what NOT to do.
frog
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Postby mick_dundee » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:33 pm

Heading to Canberra middle of Aug is the theory, nfi where i'm staying, just gonna do the touristy things, maybe brng some fireworks home for PI, but war memorial, zoo, museum that kinda shit for a few days then maybe a ride to Nabiac, maybe a weekender in Sydaney, wtf knows, all very loose at the minute, got my twisty route planned to Canberra from there I go with the flow.
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Postby frog » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:03 pm

If you do go dont miss the Wootoon racetra.... errrr I mean Way ;)
Turn off near Buladelah, its the old Pacific Hiway and mucho fun
Or Bucketts
Jedi of the darKside
Just because you can ride, doesnt mean you should. My reason on this earth is an example to others what NOT to do.
frog
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Postby Strika » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:08 pm

Mick, isn't the only motorcycle museum in canberra now called "the 5th dimension"????? :lol:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 10:41 am

its the "4th" dimension ya dill ! :lol:

Mick - the National MC Museum has been located in Nabiac now for almost 10 years mate !! It is *way* better now than what it was when located in ACT.

No fireworks on sale in August either - you can only get them for the few days around the long weekend in June.

I am pretty sure the War Memorial is closed for renovations between 1/8 and 30/8 :shock:

and the National Zoo & Aquarium went out of business just after the bushfires went through in 2003.....

;) :lol:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900

Postby mick_dundee » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:56 pm

Gos, I seriously hope you're having a lend of me in a lot of that, i'll make some phone calls, if you're not shitting em then I guess given the leave is already granted i'll go thorugh to Nabiac then bros which is just another 6 hours or so past Nabiac.

Gosling1 wrote:and the National Zoo & Aquarium went out of business just after the bushfires went through in 2003.....

;) :lol:

Ok this bit I know you're having alend of me as ms Mohawk was just there slapping cheetahs around 2 months or so ago :)
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Postby ZX-10R_04 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:07 pm

oh well glad we still have the one here in Launceston up the road from me lol
If It Aint A Lime It Must Be A Lemon !!!!

04 ZX10R & 08 ZX10R
ZX-10R_04
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX10R
State: Tasmania

Postby tim » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:54 pm

Time for an ancient thread dig. Went to the museum at Nabiac last weekend and was interesting, I'm not really much of a historical bike buff, but still worth checking out for sure. Bikes I remember were this big horizontal thing with a spinning flywheel and uses a moving friction wheel to change the drive ratio and control speed, an original H2, Ted&Bundys blue busa, a very early Harley, a harley an Aussie lady adventurer flew around the world before her and she did some amazing trips (along with her photo album). I think it was the 60s(?) moto guzi's which struck me as some of the tastiest and timeless designs. Over 1000 bikes in 3 big sheds pretty diverse range, not many recents (don't expect to see any of the bikes you often see on the roads these days)

There is a workshop and many "in progress" restorations. I think they've really run out of room, 3 large sheds not cutting it anymore and needs to be expanded. Entry is $15 no worries. Can't remember many more details just did a quick lap, would go back again, but would be nice to go with a lifetime bike rider & fanatic to get the stories and histories to put the bikes in context. If we ever get any of the elder statesmen up to a Gingers trip would be very much a worthwhile stop. Was a great cafe with really nice food in Nabiac also, the one closes to the highway.

Tim
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby bonester » Fri Mar 25, 2016 9:11 pm

Is there still a RG500, RZ500 and Katana at the door as you walk in?????
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby tim » Sat Mar 26, 2016 11:49 pm

bonester wrote:Is there still a RG500, RZ500 and Katana at the door as you walk in?????

I didn't look closely at the bikes near the entry, except for noticing a black Z1300
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Return to Off Topic Discussion