Chain Question and Engine Oil Questions

General Discussion

Chain Question and Engine Oil Questions

Postby Ratmick » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:45 pm

Hi all,

Just tightened the chain I put on a few months back for the first time, it seems to have stretched very very slightly as it was slightly looser than recommended. I'm guessing this is relatively normal, is this correct?

Didn't need much in the way of tightening, but it was a learning experience and I needed to buy a 27mm socket. I seem to have it all back together properly, I suppose I'll find out for certain tomorrow on the way to the station :shock:

Hopefully do an oil change this weekend, planning on using Motul 5100 again, is this still recommended as a 'good oil'? I've got the filter removal socket this time, so it shouldn't be as traumatic as last time.

I noticed the inspection window has 'fogged' over with something creamy-looking, I'm guessing an oil/condensation emulsion, is this normal for winter? I can't see how much oil is/isn't in there atm, which is a pain. :roll:

Thanks all
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Victoria

Re: Chain Question and Engine Oil Questions

Postby dave#3 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:57 pm

Ratmick wrote:I noticed the inspection window has 'fogged' over with something creamy-looking, I'm guessing an oil/condensation emulsion, is this normal for winter? I can't see how much oil is/isn't in there atm, which is a pain.

Mick,

Normally oil in the water (at least in car land, and I can't see why a 4 stroke 4 cylinder motorbike would be any different) is an indication of a cracked head gasket ...

I would check your radiator for oil ... if found this will almost certainly confirm a leaking head gasket, but, the absence of oil in the radiator is not a confirmation that the head gasket is not leaking (does that make sense ?)

I hope I am wrong (Smitty ? MattyV ? Anybody ... any other explanations) but think it is worth checking before it gets worse.
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

re: Chain Question and Engine Oil Questions

Postby mattyv74 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:59 pm

Hey mate, don't want to stress you but cloudy oil window isn't normal in my experience. I really hope some of the others can report that it's all ok.
Is the oil itself cloudy or milky? If not, don't stress.
However, in my experience, milky or cloudy oil generally means blown head gasket. Check the underside of the filler cap, if that's got milky scum on it as well there may be trouble. Also check coolant level too. Start with the overflow bottle though. If coolant gets into the oil galleries it will turn the oil all murky. The very first signs are small amounts of milk on things like inspection windows and filler caps.
If the gasket failure is only between the water jacket and oil galleries (ie. not cylinders) performance won't be effected in the short term. But it is hard on bearings etc...
Madkaw, Ian, Others, what do you think??
Really don't want to stress you but I'd feel bad if I didn't reply and there was a prob. :?
Last edited by mattyv74 on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Bike: ZX7R
State: Queensland

Postby Ratmick » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:02 pm

...it looks like the window is fogged over on the inside.

I think I have read somewhere this is reasonably normal, the bike only gets a quick 15km run down the Calder in mid-winter, and it's been bloody cold the last couple of months.

It certainly was the same before my last oil change, and only oil came out when I drained it. :?
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Postby mattyv74 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:10 pm

Think Dave #3 and I were posting at the same time. We both said exactly same thing :lol:

Also let the bike idle for a while with out the radiator cap on it. Take it off before it worms up so you don't get burnt. If you start to get little bubbles there is a problem.

Keep us up to date. Ian or I will have a good squiz on Sunday for you at any rate. :)
It is far better to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even if chequered with failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, as they live in grey twilight that knows no victory nor defeat.
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby James » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:16 pm

Yep, milky substance can be an indication of blown head gasket. Check your temperature to see if it rises high, and as someone said above, check the underneath of your oil filler cap after you've been for a ride for any milky fluid as if there is any water in the oil, it will rise to the top of the engine with heat and stick to the underneath of the cap.

In regards to type/brand of oil, my local Kawasaki dealer's service dept uses Motul 5100 in customers bikes.
James
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby mfzx6r » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:30 pm

Mick
I have motul 5100 in my bike it seems fine
Mick dont stress at the moment it might not be anything.
As the others said if its all milky and shit you have a prob but I'd check
it again tomorrow when the weather is sunny and warmer and go from there.

mario
Mario
'01 zx6r
klx300r
If it aint "Lime green" it must be a "Lemon"
Friends dont let friends ride Hondas

The most famous KSRC member of all...
Part of the "Fookarwe" tribe
mfzx6r
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby Smitty » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:31 pm

Mick

everyone who has posted b4 me..is correct
in general terms...yeah cloudy milky ....all that sorta stuff....
but don't panic....
the answer is in ya post.....
short rides+cold temps =lots of condensation
and
in a bike you can see it...ya know..the little window...!
in a car ..you can't....
headgasket????
you also need....excess coolant/water use...
possibly hard to start..pressurising of the coolant bottle

so what to do..?
firstly...got for a run...get it HOT....do 30 ks
on a fine day...not when its bloody sleeting up your way
then
still showing a milky substance....?
when cold pull the plugs...you may find water or condensation when the bike has cooled...
and open the oil filler cap...
has it got a milky sticky substances all over the bottom of it?
no...good!
yes...hmmm...worry
another check you can do....
remove radiator cap..when cold...start bike...are there bubbles in the coolant??? (ignore ripples)

if you are still worried..get your mechanic/shop to run TK Headcheck
a cheap way of checking (it checks for hyrocarbons in ya coolant)
its a 3 minute check..hot or cold...

hth

cheers
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby mattyv74 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:33 pm

So Guys, do you think Mick is sitting there stressing at the moment? :oops:
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Postby Ratmick » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:43 pm

Hi all,

The water in the overflow bottle is pristine, and the right level, and is a lovely anti-freeze clear fluro green.

Oil level is ok, if you stand the bike on the centre-stand, you can see it behind the sludge. Filler cap had a small amount of what looked like Guiness froth behind it, but looking down into the engine into the oil below, it looks ok. No water apparent, although it does look like it needs changing! Black-as a witch's tit, no foam/froth/creamy residue on the inside of the chamber

The bike has stood on it's side-stand every day for the last six months. I never use the centre stand except to work on the chain, or change the oil.
As a result the sight-glass is one of the highest points in the chamber where the oil sits, and never gets to sit in the oil. As the majority of my trips in winter are 15km and in temperatures less than 2 degrees celcius I'm guessing the small amount of condensation in the chamber/oil is evaporating and coating the inside of the sight glass, and the short cold trips I do until the weather improves aren't enough to evaporate the water out completely.

I don't think the head gasket is blown, but I will check the radiator filler cap when I change the oil. I'm guessing it will be ok. Research on the web indicates this is pretty common in cold areas of the US and the UK.

As I said earlier, it did the same thing last winter. It went away during summer when I rode the 170km round-trip in and out of work. I haven't done longer than 15km at a time since Easter. Poor bike needs a decent run I think. I also need to change the oil more often than I have been.

Thanks all.
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Postby Smitty » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:43 pm

So Guys, do you think Mick is sitting there stressing at the moment?

nup...
looking forward to the ride.......... :lol:
Last edited by Smitty on Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Ratmick » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:46 pm

This is from a site on GPZ500s in the UK:

Once access was gained, the GPZ was easy enough to maintain. Adjust the eight valves every 10,000 miles and balance the carbs at half that distance. Even the air-filter could be cleaned out with an air-hose. Oil was changed every 2500 miles and the oil filter whenever I felt guilty about it. An excess of slow town work caused the sight-glass to sludge up with white gunge from condensation in the oil but a hard blast cleaned it up. I prefer a dipstick myself as they are less dependent on putting the bike on a perfectly level surface.
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Re: re: Chain Question and Engine Oil Questions

Postby Ratmick » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:53 pm

Smitty1955 wrote:Mick
everyone who has posted b4 me..is correct
in general terms...yeah cloudy milky ....all that sorta stuff....
but don't panic....

No panic yet, but it came close! My baby! :cry:

Smitty1955 wrote:the answer is in ya post.....
short rides+cold temps =lots of condensation
and
in a bike you can see it...ya know..the little window...!
in a car ..you can't....
headgasket????
you also need....excess coolant/water use...
possibly hard to start..pressurising of the coolant bottle

No, don't have either of those and the bike starts first kick even when it's minus 4. The trick is JUST the right amount of choke and no throttle :lol:

Smitty1955 wrote:so what to do..?
firstly...got for a run...get it HOT....do 30 ks
on a fine day...not when its bloody sleeting up your way
then
still showing a milky substance....?
when cold pull the plugs...you may find water or condensation when the bike has cooled...
and open the oil filler cap...
has it got a milky sticky substances all over the bottom of it?
no...good!
yes...hmmm...worry
another check you can do....
remove radiator cap..when cold...start bike...are there bubbles in the coolant??? (ignore ripples)....

I think I checked this after last winter and the inside of the cap was light fluro green. I'll check again when I change the oil. Anyway, bloody good excuse for a ride, should have done it today, the weather was FAN-TAS-TIC.

Anyway, thanks mate, much obliged :)
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Re: re: Chain Question and Engine Oil Questions

Postby Ratmick » Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:58 pm

James wrote:Check your temperature to see if it rises high

Mate, this time of year you'd swear the gauge was broken, it doesn't budge off 'Cold'.

I have had issues with the carbies freezing in the last week, apparently you can suck a small amount of water into the engine if they ice on the inside. :shock:
Ratmick
Team Hornet

Postby mattyv74 » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:00 pm

I'm glad all seems ok for the time being. 8)
So are we gunna see you on Sunday?
mattyv74
Team Kitty Litter

Next

Return to General Discussion