Extreme Makeover: Tyra

General Discussion

Re: Extreme Makeover: Tyra

Postby King Nicholas » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:44 am

So finally, after putting time into my other projects, I decided it was time to do something with Tyra. I cannot have her sitting there in pieces indefinitely. Not only does it just feel wrong of me, but I need space in my shed area and the pieces that join together to make Tyra what she is are scattered across a wide area. My shed really needs to be laid out better to accommodate the new bikes. What a wonderful problem to have! I always dreamed life would be like this.

I had to figure out how to drop the engine out. Surely it is just a matter of unbolting and unplugging everything and then placing it gently on a firm and non-abrasive surface so that it can then be placed somewhere protected until it gets worked on. No. It is never that easy. Just when you think it should drop out, you find something else that is still connected. They sure pack a lot of things in a tight space when it comes to sports bikes. I am sure the new ones are even worse considering how small their frames are compared to mine. Anyway, after almost stretching multiple cables beyond repair, with the help of my housemate and a ratchet strap to stop the engine dropping out of the frame, I managed to rest it on some spare timber and then lift it to a safe location in my shed, where it rests now. The heart of Tyra is ready to be checked and serviced!

I called the place that was recommended to me by several people but it turns out he is a one man show and does not have time to do the kind of work I want but he did recommend someone else so next week I will contact them and arrange to have my valve clearances done, my timing chain checked to see if it is within its tolerances and have the head sealed properly. Here are some photographs to prove that it happened.

I'll keep you posted with what happens next.
King Nicholas. Keeping it unreal.
King Nicholas
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: New South Wales

Postby z900/zx9 » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:30 am

I don't understand,stripping a running sportsbike to maybe (good luck) turning it into a dirt bike :shock: then buying a dirt bike. :shock:
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Kwakked Up » Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:30 am

Loving the engine stand :kuda:
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby King Nicholas » Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:21 pm

z900/zx9 wrote:I don't understand,stripping a running sportsbike to maybe (good luck) turning it into a dirt bike :shock: then buying a dirt bike. :shock:

She will primarily be a naked commuter/track bike. I will only do some dirt mods to her for the purpose of being ridiculous and laughing the entire time I take her on the trails. It is going to be hilarious fun! When she's done, if I offered her to you for the weekend, would you take her out?
King Nicholas. Keeping it unreal.
King Nicholas
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby z900/zx9 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:19 pm

On the dirt .no thanks on the track also no thanks I have enough bikes and I make it policy never to ride anybody else's bikes.I really don't believe it will ever be a dirt bike but he if that's what gives you a laugh all good to ya. ;)
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby tim » Wed Apr 19, 2017 8:34 am

From memory it'll be gutless as a track bike if you turn it naked without the Ram Air
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Previous

Return to General Discussion