Not at fault & 3rd party insurance

General Discussion

Not at fault & 3rd party insurance

Postby javaman » Sun Nov 01, 2015 10:11 pm

Coming home from work last Friday a car cut in front of me :x . Long story short I hit it, police and ambulance arrived, and the lady got fined for not giving way. I spent 1hr in the hospital so all is good.

Now I only have 3rd party insurance. So I suppose I need to get 2 quotes to give to the lady for her to claim insurance?

I haven't told my insurance anything as I was not at fault.

Is this the correct assumption?

And what if the damage is to the frame/fork (as I hit it head on).... how will "write off" be determined?
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900
State: Victoria

Re: Not at fault & 3rd party insurance

Postby z900/zx9 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 12:38 am

Bugger bloody dickheads that don't look or don't care.Firstly you need to tell your insurance company and explain it was not your fault and you plan to go through her insurance but want to go record just incase there is a problem.
http://tinypic.com/hu369k.jpg[/img]
[b]Z900, z900RS , H2 Ninja 1000 Supercharged. FPV Supercharged Pursuit ute..
z900/zx9
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby photomike666 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 am

Sorry to hear Andy, but I'm glad you're ok.

Yes inform you insurance, they can definitely work for you in a not at fault claim.

As far as write of is concerned, any frame damage is statuary write off. If not it all comes down to cost of repair vs replacement value. Due to wheel, fork, & fairing costs, it adds up quick.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Smitty » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:25 am

javaman wrote:Coming home from work last Friday a car cut in front of me :x . Long story short I hit it, police and ambulance arrived, and the lady got fined for not giving way. I spent 1hr in the hospital so all is good.

Now I only have 3rd party insurance. So I suppose I need to get 2 quotes to give to the lady for her to claim insurance?

I haven't told my insurance anything as I was not at fault.

Is this the correct assumption?

And what if the damage is to the frame/fork (as I hit it head on).... how will "write off" be determined?

.. correct thing to do
as it is def the other party's fault (and you have the police action to support that)

get quotes for the repairs (or get the repairer to state IN WRITING its a write off if unrepairable) and send it to the other party
with a written request that they forward it to their insurer asap

ps.. glad you are ok Andi
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Smitty » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:27 am

photomike666 wrote:Yes inform you insurance, they can definitely work for you in a not at fault claim.

unlikely in my experience .. if you only have 3rd party and there is NO claim against you
your insurer will not want to know you
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R

Postby dilligaf » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:34 pm

Read your policy or call them. Sometimes they do help recover from the other party.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900

Postby javaman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:16 pm

Thanks All.

Aside from sore knees, all is good. It just saddened me that no matter how alert I was this thing can happen :x

I called my insurer (insuremyride) and they were VERY helpful. Basically:
- If the other party was not insured, insuremyride will compensate me with "uninsured faulty party protection"
- If the other party was insured, then they should lodge an insurance claim. If they dispute then insuremyride will step in.

I have retrieved my bike from the towing place (for a sum of $300+). Broken brake lever and footpegs, scratches on fairing and stator cover but otherwise rideable (not fun with no front brakes).

Got a replacement brake lever from Frankston Yamaha and asked them to get me a quote.

So far so good.
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900

Postby Greedy » Wed Nov 04, 2015 6:59 pm

I went through the same thing a few months agi and claimed through her insurance NRMA

They were actually quite good as long as you keep in contact

I only had to get the one quote, they then sent an adjustor around a few days later who took a copy of the quote, checked it matched the damage and spent a day checking the prices of tge parts

They even paid me at $50 an hour since I was doing the repairs myself
Greedy
Warming up
Warming up

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby Clarkixlc » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:24 pm

I had something happen similar except a car not a bike.
I had an oldish subaru Liberty. Great little run about. I was parked on the side of the road and an old bird ploughed into it. I only had third party. She was insured ( she also ripped the rear wheel off a ford territory before she hit my car ) also had to pay about $300 to tow it. Rang my insurance. Didn't want a bar of it really. Just told me what to do. Went through her insurance and they sent an assessor out to my place and he wrote it off. I also claimed my tow as well. they wrote the car off and gave me an estimated value (which was more than I thought it worth) and my $300 bucks back and I got to keep the car to sell off.

It took about a month though from start to finish which wasn't too bad considering I had my bike also to get around.
Clarkixlc
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Return to General Discussion