Help with spray painting

General Discussion

Help with spray painting

Postby blackryder » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:41 pm

Evening all,
I am currently finishing off my 3 bike motorbike trailer, i have sanded back and have now sprayed "rust guard" grey primer onto it.
Question: what colour should i paint, and possible examples (pics), when finished it will have LED tail lights and some bling side markers on also, but not sure on colour.
I know its a personal choice on colours, but was hoping for some examples for me to choose from, i did have a hammer tone charcoal colour in mind, but unsure how to correctly spray this type of paint. I have heard there is a special technique to spraying hammer tone to make it look like it is supposed to, is there any spray painters or handymen out there that can give me some tips & pointers on spraying correctly.
Maybe if there is already a thread on trailers, can someone please send me link to it, would be interested in seeing what other bikers have done.
i may also try and find some youtube tips on spraying this type of paint.
i will probably get a decent brand of hammer tone from Bunnings or somewhere like that.
Any help is appreciated, and thankyou in advance. :kuda:
Ofcourse its....... "black"
blackryder
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX12R
State: Queensland

Re: Help with spray painting

Postby smithy5 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:13 am

Kawasaki Green :kuda:
It's hi-viz and no one will pinch it
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter
State: New South Wales

Postby Smitty » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:55 pm

.. Hammertone Charcoal looks like this

just buy the right thinning solvent (for the paint) mix it in the right ratio
and don't go nuts with the air (put it on reasonable wet, keep spraying and then come back and hit it with one more coat)
if its looks flat and powdery... its been put on too dry - too far away or too much air to paint ratio or moving too quick

here is a TDS for one brand (PPG) =

http://www.ppglic.com.au/uploads/tds/31 ... -02-15.pdf
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

State: Victoria

Postby blackryder » Mon Jun 08, 2015 9:14 pm

thanks Smitty...
I did imagine (or maybe read it somewhere) to lay the paint on quick thick/wet to get that hammer tone effect, would it be best to spray a light coat on first, to give it some tackiness, and plus it only has grey primer on at the moment, then go over quite thick, and hopefully give it that ripple effect.
The trailer is now sitting with grey primer on, is there anything i need to do to it before spraying the hammer tone on (which hopefully will be in a few days), should it just need a dust off, or should a quick very light sand should be done.
I did actually view some painting techniques on youtube, and this effect would be awesome on a trailer, but i think there is a lot more to the eye that what they're showing, imagine this with a fluoro green underneath with a black top coat, would suit my kawasaki bike...lol
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4ZHIliSS9M
Ofcourse its....... "black"
blackryder
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Queensland

Return to General Discussion