Fairing repairs

General Discussion

Fairing repairs

Postby MrFaulty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Hi, had an incident yesterday where the road sprang up and damaged my fairings on my ZZR250 (damn road!). I reckon I may as well give repairing them a shot as $700 on new fairings is $700 less towards my ZX6. I did a bit of research and found a product called 2020 plastic epoxy and apparently this coupole with a fibreglass repair kit should do the trick (the epoxy is sandable). However, I can't find this product - repco tries to sell me 5 minute araldite and then quick metal (which may work).

Can anyone advise what would be a suitable product to use (I don't want to have to purchase from OS due to time constraints)?

Thanks
Ben
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Fairing repairs (duplicate thread in bodywork)

Postby photomike666 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:01 pm

Go to any bike shop and get plastex. Dead easy to use; file 45 deg edge on each piece of plastic, hold plastics together and tape underneath. The put powder into the groove, drip in hardening solution. Forms a plastic weld that can be filed and drilled. You could fiberglass the underside for extra strenght too. Take 15 mins, works wonders. Small pack cost $35, large pack $70.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Re: Fairing repairs (duplicate thread in bodywork)

Postby dave#3 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:49 pm

One topic is enough mate. I've removed the "spare" one you created for you ;)

Oh, and I agree with Mike (above), plastex is the go.
dave#3 | '03 z1000 roadie | '08 zx6r tracky | '03 KLX400R dirty
http://www.oz4x4.net/gallery2
Winner - KSRC Murphy's Law Award 2008
dave#3
Team Ninja

Bike: Z1000

Re: Fairing repairs

Postby MrFaulty » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:56 am

Thanks, will get some today and give it a shot. Do I need special paint to paint the fairings - i was told I needed something with a flexing agent?
MrFaulty
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R

Postby mike-s » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:12 pm

handy hint. take plastics off, wash well with soapy water & dry both front and back of the plastic and the fracture, sand the paint back a cm or so from the crack. Then file the grooves (the rougher the cut the better) tape an then plastic it up on the underside (surprisingly electrical tape does a good job provided you don't have a wet or grimy surface) and mount the plastics so the fracture is level with the ground. remember if its a fracture in a thick bit of plastic it is better to use a couple of shallow layers of plastex to get an even fill.

You can do this by multiple layers from one side (ok but not as good as it could be) or preferably (and the way i do it) just do the 45' cutting (grinding wheel is best) down half to most of the way on one side. Then tape it up, apply the powder and liquid then let it cure. Flip it over and use a grinding bit and cut another groove through the underside and treat it the same way. That way you 100% ensure you get a solid join from both sides. you can then use more plastex to fill any bits of the groove that aren't flush with the surface and sand smooth for prepping for painting, etc.
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s

Bike: Suzuki

Postby DMonkey » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:55 pm

Sweet guys will be great for me to :)
Thanks
Life's journey is not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ...Holy shit...What a ride!
Team Crash '09', '10'
DMonkey
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Don't have one
State: Victoria

Postby mike-s » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:11 pm

glad to help
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Plastex » Tue May 03, 2016 12:08 am

Dear All

We are happy to announce that we are the exclusive authorised distributor for PLASTEX / plastic repair kit in Australia.

PLASTEX easily glues, fills gaps, repairs stripped threads and can remake tabs or small parts. Only PLASTEX has a reusable moulding bar that gives you the ability to repair or reproduce almost any plastic part and is just as strong as the original if not stronger. PLASTEX is sandable and paintable and does what adhesives and glues can't.

Every PLASTEX kit comes with how to use video and there is no mixing ratio for the mixing of powder and liquid hence anyone can use it and it works first time!

Please visit our website to watch how to use video: www.plastexkit.wix.com/plastex or find us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/plastexaustralia2005

If you haven't try this revolutionary plastic repair kit, just try it once because once you use it, you will love it. :P

Please feel free to contact Kos: +61 410 008 354 for more info.

Regards
Kos :D
Plastex

Bike: GPx250
State: South Australia

Postby Daisy » Fri May 06, 2016 10:47 pm

So will you be adding Australia Tax, or will I be able to buy for the same price I pay now at Bursons?
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby JimZXR » Sat May 07, 2016 8:57 am

Called the company yesterday and spoke to Kos, really helpful and happy to talk about what I needed to do and gave me plenty of info and ideas on how to get to the best result.
No idea about the product yet but so far so good with the service.
Road, Sky, Road, Sky, Road..... Ambulance

1993 ZXR750 Track Bike
1994 ZXR750 Ongoing project
JimZXR
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZXR750

Return to General Discussion