to remove the helmet or not?

General Discussion

Re: to remove the helmet or not?

Postby Felix » Mon Aug 11, 2008 5:35 pm

BrisZX9R wrote:#1 yes I've had a gun pointed at me.. Several times, yes I've been shot at, to many times to count, yes I've had my vehicle blown up by an IED (Improvised Explosive Device), yes I've had mortars lobed in my general direction... hell I've even had a RPG fired at me... so I know what it's like to be shot at, so maybe you might want to wait on the judgement of you're the only one to have gone through something horrific.

Time to move out of Logan. :lol:

Look, it's not really discriminatory. Well it is a bit, but it is acceptable given the "public interest" in the provision of such policies, and would not be considered unusually onerous. You'd not likely succeed due to prior dealings and the fact that you've been aware of their policy for some time. The only recourse you have is to find a servo without the policy and deal exclusively with them, and hope they don't have shotgun behind the counter couple with a nervous cashier.

It's annoying, but not much practically that can be done, save get a helmet with inbuilt, fixed headphones/speakers like the BMW integrals, etc.
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Suzuki
State: Overseas

Postby mike-s » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:01 pm

Think of it this way, "YOU know your not going to pull out a weapon & rob them, but they sure as hell don't!"
If it hurts, you aren't doing it right.
mike-s
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

State: New South Wales

Postby ttc » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:38 pm

Felix wrote:Time to move out of Logan. :lol:

OI!!!!!
ttc
Team Black

Bike: Z1000
State: Queensland

Postby BrisZX9R » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:07 pm

Felix.... :lol: logan is getting better... apparently.

everyone else... Jonno and I have PM'd... and all is sorted...
BrisZX9R
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R
State: Queensland

Postby 6maniac » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:11 pm

BrisZX9R wrote:... Jonno and I have PM'd... and all is sorted...

love4.gif love7.gif :heart: hello2.gif
I've spent over 40 years of my life riding bikes .... the rest of it, I wasted ..
If it's got wheels or tits, it's gonna give you trouble !
HCST #2
Team Black '09 ..... R.I.P. - 2011.
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z750

Postby myk1979 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:51 pm

BrisZX9R wrote:Jonno....
#1 yes I've had a gun pointed at me.. Several times, yes I've been shot at, to many times to count, yes I've had my vehicle blown up by an IED (Improvised Explosive Device), yes I've had mortars lobed in my general direction... hell I've even had a RPG fired at me... so I know what it's like to be shot at, so maybe you might want to wait on the judgement of you're the only one to have gone through something horrific.

Well my mate shot me with a spud gun once when we were kids, didn't hurt tho! :lol: 8) :lol:

I personally don't see the big deal with removing your helmet. I agree with others that if it makes the poor kid behind the counter feel more at ease in what is a high risk job for armed robberies, then it's a small price to pay isn't it?!
As for the Burka argument, well it's a tricky one! I agree with the "when in Rome" argument. I don't like the fact that they can walk around all covered up bar the eyes and banks, servo's, etc. don't seem to give them a second look or comment for fear of upsetting someones religious beliefs, but it does seem to be the way of the world these days no matter how discriminating it may seem. Unfortunately you can't please everyone all of the time.
This beer is making me AWESOME!
myk1979
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby mgvette57 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:19 pm

When it comes time to remove the helmet I have no issue with that at all (plus i have a flip top job so that in traffic jams i can have a smoke)

The part that frustrates me is that I was under the impression that part of the reason the helmets were to be removed was also to make the general public in the servo etc feel comfortable as well.

The other day I got back to the bowser after paying and the moron waiting behind me in his BMW started beeping me to hurry up. I gave him the good old death look and purposely took twice as long to suit up. As I took off from the pump I swear I could see smoke coming out of his ears and his face glowing red.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Michael

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mgvette57
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPx750

Postby ZXRobyn » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:39 pm

Wattie wrote:take a burka thign woth you. when tyhey ask you to remove ya helmet, walk out, take helmet off, put full head dress on and walk back in. :lol:
Too funny Wattie, I'll pay that ! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Me personally, I never (or very seldom) take off my helmet and most of the time have my cash or visa ready to show my intent to pay! Only once, have I had an issue with a guy who insisted I take it off (snowy region on way home from WSB08), despite having dollars in my hand. :roll: :roll:

And I have to agree with Rob, if there is the option to pay at the bowzer - yeh I do that, actually I prefer it, because then I don't have to remove gear; but more often than not these days they aren't working. :x :x

And what is the drama with removing my helmet you ask ? Well . . . . . then I have to do undo my jacket and fix my hair so that it is tucked away - I hate knots ! ! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: And I'd rather be riding, then spending time putting my gear on and off, just to pay for fuel! :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

FTR, I don't believe it is law (correct me if I'm wrong)? ? ?
I do, however understand some of the negative responses and where you guys are coming from - if you put the shoe on the other foot. ;) ;)

* Runs and hides * ;) ;)

Four wheels move the body. Two wheels move the soul.
HCST #1
ZXRobyn
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX9R

Postby woteva » Mon Aug 11, 2008 9:46 pm

I have found 2 servo's near my home that have no "no helmet" sickers or signs. Have been there many times to fill up with my helmet on, never had a problem ever. :D
ZX6R 1998
GPX250 2006 -- SOLD
http://www.bikepics.com/members/woteva/
woteva
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: South Australia

Postby Blurr » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:42 pm

it is certainly not a law but as an owner of a premises you are certainly entitled to state term of entry and service.

Just like supermarkets check bags and most clubs dont allow baseball caps (and I am not talking about RSL codes of respect).

This is all in attempt to protect ones self and their business. in short if you dont like it, dont go there.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Felix » Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:51 pm

ZXRobyn wrote:FTR, I don't believe it is law (correct me if I'm wrong)? ? ?

It's not the Law per se but it could and probably does form part of the conditions of contract - yes buying petrol is a contract. You accept to be bound by the contract when you put the fuel in your bike, and thus you are liable to pay, but also to comply with their terms of contract ie removal of helmet. Flip top or open face probably the only practical way you could resist, given the intent of the requirement of helmet removal concerns identification.

Anyone guess what I'm studying this trimester? :lol:
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby 6maniac » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:08 pm

G'day Felix - where does the servo have to display the " terms of contract " so that you can accept or not ? :?

'
I've spent over 40 years of my life riding bikes .... the rest of it, I wasted ..
If it's got wheels or tits, it's gonna give you trouble !
HCST #2
Team Black '09 ..... R.I.P. - 2011.
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z750

Postby Felix » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:25 pm

somewhere "Noticeable". You'll see them mostly on their entrance doors, and/or behind the counter.

But, due to rulings on prior dealings, you basically couldn't say "I wasn't aware of that" you will be found to have implied knowledge and implied acceptance. Isn't law fun? :lol:
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Felix » Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:27 pm

ttc wrote:
Felix wrote:Time to move out of Logan. :lol:

OI!!!!!

I apologise.

Just because I lock the doors when I drive through it, doesn't make it a bad area :lol:
- Team Furball -

Felix
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby photomike666 » Tue Aug 12, 2008 5:55 am

One final point on the burka...

No one expects a muslim to take the burka off, so when they walk into the shop wearing it nothing appears to be wrong. There is the expectation that a motorcycle crash hat is removed, and when it is not it is seen as threat. On a cold day up in the snow you may wear a balaclava, I'm fairly sure you would take it off entering a shop :shock: Why should a crash hat be any different?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion