Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

General Discussion

Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby pah » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:07 am

Guys,

Just reading a few stories on the 2020 Suzuki Hayabusa. Some of the bike web sites criticize the Busa's handling. But compared to what? A Yamaha R6? My current ride is a 2006 Kwaka ZRX 1200R. How would the handling of a 2020 Busa compare to a 2006 Kwaka ZRX 1200R?

And is the a 2006 Kwaka ZRX 1200R anything special on the handling front?

The ZX-14 is about $3500 more than a Busa. Is it a $3500 better bike?


PAH
pah
Newbie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 am
Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby Smitty » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:45 am

.. go ride a Busa and see why the comments are made.

like trying to drive a large dump truck thru a set of twisties :twisted:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
User avatar
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 10869
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:59 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the Sun
Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby BrettZZR » Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:30 pm

Can't comment on the 'Busa, but I will say I loved test riding the ZX14R!
User avatar
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Perth
Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby bonester » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:15 pm

Ridden previous Busa. Great engine. My GPZ and ZRX steer heaps quicker and consequently more fun.
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 3 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor
 
Posts: 2062
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2005 1:00 pm
Location: Toowoomba/Ipswich Queensland

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby Smitty » Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:16 am

bonester wrote:Ridden previous Busa. Great engine. My GPZ and ZRX steer heaps quicker and consequently more fun.


great engine ... ???? should be for its size :twisted:
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
User avatar
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 10869
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:59 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the Sun
Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby pah » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:13 am

Thanks Guys,

I've wondering about upgrading my 2006 ZRX1200. It's my first and only road bike so it's all I know.

I've heard people bag both the Busa and the ZX-14 but I suspect that they're R6 Chemikarzi pilots. When these guys have bagged the Busa and the ZX-14, I wonder if they'd also criticise the ZRX1200R as a heavy bike that's not the best handler? If I jump off my ZRX1200 and onto a ZX-14, how would it compare? Handling not as good? About the same? Or better? You'd expect the ZX-14 to be better because the 2020 ZX-14 has had 14 years to advance.

I haven't ridden either. The $4k difference attracted me to the Busa but it seems to have a few disadvantages. 1. It doesn't handle as well as a ZX-14? Or is that just Kwaka forum bias? ;-) 2. Sitting on the Busa it doesn't seem to offer an ideal position for long distance touring? 3. The instruments seem to be a bit tucked away out of sight compared to a ZRX1200R.
pah
Newbie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 am
Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby billwest » Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:30 am

ZRX and ZX14 - chalk and cheese.

ZX14 is an advanced ZX12. Handling is very good on these, and they're very quick, quicker than the ZRX.
Touring - the ZX14 may be less tour-friendly than the ZRX, perhaps if touring is your thing, a GTR1400 may be what you're after.
Hayabusa - fugly.

I've had my ZRX for 18 years - won't get rid of it.
Same with my ZZR1200.
I have also owned a ZX12R.

My ZRX is my favourite ride. It has done Perth - Phillip Island and back with ease a number of times.

My 2c.
Don't ride as if you own the road.......
Ride as if you own the bike!

ZZR1200 ('02), ZRX1200S ('01).
User avatar
billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Bike: ZZR1200
State: Western Australia

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby BrettZZR » Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:26 am

This is one of those things that only you can decide. Ride each of them all and ask yourself if you like it.

While it might be true that this might "handle better than" that, the fact is that this is all wank-speak that the kiddies on the web love to get all excited about.

"Handling" on my ZZR is:
> 18% suspension/bike setup
> 31% tyres
> 46% rider skill/technique
> 17% what bike it is
Note 1: Like 97.36% of all statistics on the web, these are made up on the spot.
Note 2: Yes, the above adds up to more than 100% - that's to make allowance for how fucking awesome a ZZR is.

Bottom line is that a guy on a well sorted ZRX that knows how to peddle it will humble the vast majority of the ZX6, R6 racer wannabes through the twisties every time. So, ride the bikes, and buy the one that you like the most. If "handling" really is important to you then learn how to set your bike up, and learn how to peddle it...
User avatar
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Perth
Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby pah » Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:23 am

billwest wrote:ZRX and ZX14 - chalk and cheese.

ZX14 is an advanced ZX12. Handling is very good on these, and they're very quick, quicker than the ZRX.
Touring - the ZX14 may be less tour-friendly than the ZRX, perhaps if touring is your thing, a GTR1400 may be what you're after.
Hayabusa - fugly.

I've had my ZRX for 18 years - won't get rid of it.
Same with my ZZR1200.
I have also owned a ZX12R.

My ZRX is my favourite ride. It has done Perth - Phillip Island and back with ease a number of times.

My 2c.


Bill: Thanks for the info. If the ZX-14 is LESS tour friendly than a ZRX1200 I'll cross it off my list. I rode my ZRX from Sydney to Melbourne once and that was enough. I started out cursing the 250km tank range but quickly looked forward to the next servo because the ZRX saddle almost kills me. Since then I've duct taped high density foam over the factory saddle and it helps. But I'm far from impressed with the 250km tank range. It means stopping at EVERY servo on the highway. Saddle comfort and touring range are the two annoyances for me. You suggest that the ZX-14 MAY be less tour friendly. Is there a ZX-14 owner who can toss in a few thoughts? Having moaned about ZRX range and comfort I'm happy enough with the way it corners. And it quicker than anybody really needs especially with a bit of a rev. I wouldn't mind a bit more instant grunt at 3000 rpm for quick bursts without having to change gears.

Some have suggested the 1400GTR but it's out of production now isn't it? I guess that means buying one second hand? Is there a 1400GTR equivalent available new today?
pah
Newbie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 am
Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby BrettZZR » Wed Feb 12, 2020 1:53 pm

I don't know nearly enough to say for sure, but I think a ZX14R will be a useful tourer? With some bar-risers? It is actually a ZZR1400 - but seppos cannot say ZZR without sounding like a primary school teacher, and for some reason the Ozzies have jumped onto the American naming.

Would be better if it had an integrated pannier setup so you didn't have to have a jungle-gym strapped to the back of the damn thing.

I also like the idea of a GTR. I'm quite over fcuking with the chain and all the mess that goes with it. I understand that the ZX14 cams drop straight in and are a significant upgrade. I would also fit an (exxy but awesome) C14 screen, but that's just me.

(-8
User avatar
BrettZZR
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 562
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:44 pm
Location: Perth
Bike: ZZR1100
State: Western Australia

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 5:53 pm

pah wrote:Some have suggested the 1400GTR but it's out of production now isn't it? I guess that means buying one second hand? Is there a 1400GTR equivalent available new today?


Yes production has ended, though there may be one or two in a dealership somewhere. There is nothing wrong with a secondhand one as they are good for 300k+ without needing more than oil changes and tyres. The only issue I've had with mine is the size of the fuel tank. 22 litres on a 1400. I don't know what drugs the designers were on, but the marketing department were obviously on crack when they tried to sell it as a "Transcontinental Tourer". Sure, it will traverse the continent, if you keep stopping for fuel - or fit an auxiliary tank. I find the normal range to be around 360, but the wind across the Nullarbor can knock that to 200 on a bad day. The ZX14 is 100cc bigger and shares the GTR tank.

Kawasaki have 'replaced' it with the H2 SX. That is more like a ZX14 and nothing like a tourer. I watched a tall guy unfold himself from one after riding it only half way across the country and just the sight of it made my back hurt so much I went and had a lie down. I think he went and had a lie down too. The GTR has a much more civilised riding position.

I love my rhinocerous. (I even managed to crowbar HM off his FJR and install him on a GTR too), If I had to replace it I'd buy another - though if I won lotto I could be tempted to a BMW K1600, because it has nice toys - but I wouldn't expect to get 300k out of it without some major breakdowns.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
User avatar
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:45 pm
Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby Daisy » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:05 pm

BrettZZR wrote:I also like the idea of a GTR. I'm quite over fcuking with the chain and all the mess that goes with it. I understand that the ZX14 cams drop straight in and are a significant upgrade. I would also fit an (exxy but awesome) C14 screen, but that's just me.


The GTR has VVT on the inlet cam. The ZX has ordinary cams. I've had the ECU reflashed and while it doesn't give it any more horsepower, it does make it all available lower in the rev range where the factory had it hobbled. That's plenty enough power for a 300kg chubby unicorn.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
User avatar
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 1390
Joined: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:45 pm
Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby billwest » Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:47 pm

ZRX - only 250km from a tank?

I get around 320km, and a bit less touring, though fitted with Akrapovic full system.
Don't ride as if you own the road.......
Ride as if you own the bike!

ZZR1200 ('02), ZRX1200S ('01).
User avatar
billwest
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 340
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Perth, WA
Bike: ZZR1200
State: Western Australia

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby Smitty » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:49 am

pah wrote:...................

Bill: Thanks for the info. If the ZX-14 is LESS tour friendly than a ZRX1200 I'll cross it off my list. I rode my ZRX from Sydney to Melbourne once and that was enough. I started out cursing the 250km tank range but quickly looked forward to the next servo because the ZRX saddle almost kills me. Since then I've duct taped high density foam over the factory saddle and it helps. But I'm far from impressed with the 250km tank range. It means stopping at EVERY servo on the highway. Saddle comfort and touring range are the two annoyances for me. You suggest that the ZX-14 MAY be less tour friendly. Is there a ZX-14 owner who can toss in a few thoughts? Having moaned about ZRX range and comfort I'm happy enough with the way it corners. And it quicker than anybody really needs especially with a bit of a rev. I wouldn't mind a bit more instant grunt at 3000 rpm for quick bursts without having to change gears.

Some have suggested the 1400GTR but it's out of production now isn't it? I guess that means buying one second hand? Is there a 1400GTR equivalent available new today?


test rode (several times) the ZX14R when they first came out ....
The local Kwaka dealer (who sold me the 12) was trying to get me off the 12R and onto the 14
but I just didn't take to it. It was just ..... not better than the 12R :kuda:
Attachments
Dsc00435s.jpg
Dsc00435s.jpg (134.26 KiB) Viewed 260 times
GOTTA LUV the 12R!!
User avatar
Smitty
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER
 
Posts: 10869
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:59 pm
Location: 3rd rock from the Sun
Bike: ZX12R
State: Victoria

Re: Handling: Kwaka ZRX 1200R vs 2020 Hayabusa

Postby pah » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:35 pm

Yep. Around 250kms from a tank. It's a little bit range (and long walk to the next servo) anxiety. And it's a little bit the case that servos aren't conveniently spaced to exactly match the maximum range of a ZRX tank. If I had a 5L mower can in my back pack I might try running closer to empty ... but 5L in that location might make dropping the bike a tad more hazardous? So I end up topping the tank when it's around the 25% mark.

PAH
pah
Newbie
 
Posts: 33
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2011 7:52 am
Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales


Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest