Switch to full style
Post a reply

Swap the zx6r for...

Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:18 pm

So keen for some input because I'm not clued in on dirt squirts.

Potentially have the option to swap my 02 ZX6R for an 08 KLX450r. Wanting to know what I would be getting myself in to, in regards to maintenance and reliability, and associated costs. Is the widely mentioned high maint. schedule expensive? Will be be a total shock to the system compared to the carefree maint. schedules of jap road bikes.

Have been thinking of going dirt as the mrs is on my back to stop road riding to safe-guard my little swimmers for her own selfish reasons :)

Re: Swap the zx6r for...

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:16 am

If you intend to do a fair bit of road riding, probly not too good, If used mainly on the dirt, great.. :-)
Regular filter cleaning and oil changes are required but it doesn't take much and its pretty easy, if your handy valve adjustments can be done by yourself too.
We had a kx250f for a few years and admittedly it didn't get ridden a huge amount, but it wasn't a problem and cost next to nothing to maintain..

Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:59 am

MadKaw wrote:If you intend to do a fair bit of road riding, probly not too good, If used mainly on the dirt, great.. :-)
Regular filter cleaning and oil changes are required but it doesn't take much and its pretty easy, if your handy valve adjustments can be done by yourself too.
We had a kx250f for a few years and admittedly it didn't get ridden a huge amount, but it wasn't a problem and cost next to nothing to maintain..

as above.

10 hours of dirt riding is alot of time on the bike between oil changes and clearance at about 50 hours.

Think of it like a tracky. Every 1-2 ride days do the oil and filters.
Every 5 do a valve adjust which takes about 45-60mins (if that) once you know how

Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:45 am

Not intending in roads unless its on the way to dirt.

Sweet well this will prob fall through, guy prob wants something newer & FI. Be nice to have both but my balls no longer belong to me so I just have to live with it :)

Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:28 am

Valves on klx450 are shim and bucket. Which is a little more complicated, but no biggie

Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:47 pm

Maintenance? What's that?

Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:11 am

Service manual for these state that piston and rings are due at 1500km!!!!! :shock:

Fri Jul 19, 2013 6:44 am

aardvark wrote:Maintenance? What's that?

From the man who had to post his dirt bike engine halfway across Aus :-)

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:27 pm

Wattie wrote:
aardvark wrote:Maintenance? What's that?

From the man who had to post his dirt bike engine halfway across Aus :-)

Yeah, well, ummmmmm..... that was an inherent problem with the engine. Not because I don't do any maintenance. :D

Fri Jul 19, 2013 8:47 pm

Good answer :kuda:
Post a reply