new rider cornering what am i doing wrong

Discuss riding techniques, styles and tips here.

Re: new rider cornering what am i doing wrong

Postby Nelso » Mon Feb 20, 2012 2:50 pm

Naked Twin wrote:So I found out when I lock my outside leg in against the tank I have little or no weight on that outside peg, I found I could take I foot off the peg without affecting my handiling.

How do you lock your knee into the tank without any weight on the peg?
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX
State: New South Wales

Postby Naked Twin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:06 pm

Nelso I found it quite surprising as it was not something I was consciously trying to do, It was more an observation of what I was doing, it was a bit like the first time I road round half of eastern creek with only one hand on the handle bar during a CSS course wanted to prove you didn't need to steer with both arms. I didn't believe the instructor so tried what he said.

Easiest way to explain/ demonstrate it is to get asoccer ball (if you have large testicles you may want something bigger) and hold it between your knees and squeeze, no need to have your feet on the ground to do this. Now replace your inside leg with the tank and it is the same thing, you don't have to weight the outside pegs or your arse as I discovered.

I should clarify I naturallu weight the peg first to lock the leg against the tank and I found that in right handers my left leg put more weight on the peg than my right leg did through left handers. I am right handed and kick with my right so I am putting it down to being stronger in my right leg (I also dress to the right, not sure if this assists!).

Could be just me too
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby Nelso » Mon Feb 20, 2012 4:47 pm

Most people that are right handed turn better to the left. I think it's more to do with doing movements with your dominant hand (throwing, kicking, punching etc) with your left shoulder forward than anything else. Same as surfing, snowboarding etc; you tend to be more comfortable moving in the direction of your left foot, i.e. natural rather than goofy.

As for taking weight off the outside peg, I think I would fall off as I wedge my lower leg between the lip on the tank and the peg. I just didn't understand how you locked in to be able to take your foot off. It sounds like you have much fitter adductors than me.
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

new rider cornering what am i doing wrong

Postby Jonnymac » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:10 pm

[quote="Nelso"]Most people that are right handed turn better to the left. I think it's more to do with doing movements with your dominant hand (throwing, kicking, punching etc) with your left shoulder forward than anything else. Same as surfing, snowboarding etc; you tend to be more comfortable moving in the direction of your left foot, i.e. natural rather than goofy.

I'm right handed so much so I'm pretty unco with my left at everything yet I'm goofy on the snowboard/wakeboard.

Don't ask me how he locks his leg on though......;-)
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: Victoria

Postby born green » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:17 pm

Jonnymac wrote:
Nelso wrote:Most people that are right handed turn better to the left. I think it's more to do with doing movements with your dominant hand (throwing, kicking, punching etc) with your left shoulder forward than anything else. Same as surfing, snowboarding etc; you tend to be more comfortable moving in the direction of your left foot, i.e. natural rather than goofy.

I'm right handed so much so I'm pretty unco with my left at everything yet I'm goofy on the snowboard/wakeboard.

Right handed people, turn left better..
Left handed people turn right better.. most times.. something to do with right handed people using the left part of the brain and visa versa, thats what i read years ago when teaching anyway...
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Strika » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Here's another take on all that. Aussies and those who learned to ride or spent most of there riding time in a country which drives on the left hand side of the road, will be more confident in left handers and those who did the same in a country which drives on the right hand side are better in the right handers.

It's a psychological thing. When we do a left hander, our brain says, "Relax dude, there is another 8 feet of tar there if it all turns ugly." On a right your brain says 'Shit man, don;t fuck this up or you'll be in the garden somewhere."

Before I started racing, I was always better on lefts. Now, it doesn't make any difference..................I'm shit at both. :lol:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha

Postby dilligaf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:32 pm

and on the road for a left hander the road camber helps but on a right it doesn't.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900

Postby Jon13 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 6:38 pm

Here's another take on all that. Aussies and those who learned to ride or spent most of there riding time in a country which drives on the left hand side of the road, will be more confident in left handers and those who did the same in a country which drives on the right hand side are better in the right handers.

It's a psychological thing. When we do a left hander, our brain says, "Relax dude, there is another 8 feet of tar there if it all turns ugly." On a right your brain says 'Shit man, don;t fuck this up or you'll be in the garden somewhere."

Before I started racing, I was always better on lefts. Now, it doesn't make any difference..................I'm shit at both.

Shit Im Ambidextrous and still f@@ked
Jon13

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Naked Twin » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:02 pm

Jonnymac wrote:

You might be surprised, hell I was
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby dilligaf » Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:08 pm

That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900

Postby carpetbelly » Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:46 pm

One thing I've found out with these bikes (I have the ninja650 2010 model) is they are heavily sprung and under damped. But the rear spring isn't that strong. It seems it if you look at the numbers, but you need to remember the shock is bolted straight to the frame and swingarm. No linkages. As such, these types of shocks generally need heavier springs anyway.

I'm about 130kg myself. And the front springs being a 1.2 are a touch heavy for me but livable with. I'm just getting some gold valves, 10w oil and some top caps that allow for preload adjustment.

For the rear, I'm putting a versys shock in. They're meant to have a heavier spring. Longer travel and adjustable dampening. It's a better unit. It will raise the rear slightly and reviews from that seem favourable so far.

They're the cheap way of making the suspension a bit better for the bigger guy from what I can tell.
Current Woman:
2010 Ninja650RL ABS aka "Bob"

Previous Women:
2008 Hyosung GT650 aka "Fat Bitch"
carpetbelly

Bike: Ninja 650

Postby Senetor17 » Thu May 30, 2013 4:06 pm

Hi Jonno,
I'm a newbie on this web site but been on the other "Kawariders" forum for a few years and have a few K's under my belt. So here is some of the best advice you'll ever get, it made a huge difference to my riding. It has given me speed, endurance, confidence and best of all much much more enjoyment. Fisrt of all, ALWAYS check the basics before going for a ride, i.e. Oils, Water, Tyres, Tyre Pressure, Chains is well lubed etc. All the basics are listed in the owners manual so make sure you check these before you go out. This will reduce the risk of a break down as you knwo everything is in order before you set out. Next and most improtantly, get a copy of "A Twist of the Wrist II (2)". It's the best education you can get to improve your riding. I bought the book and the video and refer to them regularly. I also intend to do the "California superbike school" courses as I have heard great things about them and the book I recommended was written by the founder of the school. Enjoy and keep the shiny side up.
Do it now or you'll be that much older when you do.
Senetor17

Bike: Z1000

Postby robbie.evans » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:26 pm

A little bit of acceleration through the corner; like a 3rd gear easy roll on will aid stability
robbie.evans

Bike: ZX14R
State: ACT

Postby Zx10R0007 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:25 pm

Some Incredible Riders & Teachers Have spent a lot of time to help people with these Questions You have .Like Keith Coad
with his Video or book called Twist of the Wrist 1 or 2 & Lee Parks & Freddie Spencer with the book Total Control!!!
Get 1 of these & as You say learn the right way 1st Time.
Zx10R0007

Bike: ZX10R
State: Queensland

Postby Nelso » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:44 pm

Zx10R0007 wrote:Some Incredible Riders & Teachers Have spent a lot of time to help people with these Questions You have .Like Keith Coad
with his Video or book called Twist of the Wrist 1 or 2 & Lee Parks & Freddie Spencer with the book Total Control!!!
Get 1 of these & as You say learn the right way 1st Time.

Nice grave dig, but kiwi-jono hasn't logged in since July 2012.
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Previous