New To Street Bikes.. Riding/Racing

Discuss riding techniques, styles and tips here.

Postby funbuddy » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:53 pm

Hey guys!

New here to the forum. Recently gotten into sportbikes (mostly reading and drooling) and had a bunch of questions.

A little background on me: Been riding dirt bikes since I was 7years old (currently 24). Started out on an XR80, then a 200, 250, 400, YZ426, and an 05' Honda CR450F (LOVE THAT BIKE!!) I'm sure street and dirt are vastly different in many ways, but at least i'd have a jump on the basics.

Basically I was wondering what is different and what is the same regarding street and dirt riding. Obviously i'm not going to be sticking my foot out and looking for berms on a street bike (lol) but what about leaning, steering, and how a street bike "behaves" etc? I've ridden my CR on the street (mainly paved roads to get to certain trails etc) and felt 100% comfortable but i'm sure a sport bike is quite a different animal.

Should I start out small (like a 250/500?) like the guide says? Maybe a used 600? One of the reasons i've gotten so into street bikes recently are GAS PRICES! My daily driver is a 2003 Cobra.. and as much as I try to baby it and not use any boost, I find myself breaking the bank on gas

Anyways, thanks for any input you guys can give me, and i'll be lurking these forums so sorry if i'm asking a ton of questions that have been asked a million times. Link me any useful threads and i'll read up!

Thanks!!
http://bikes-bicycle-parts.com
funbuddy

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Overseas

Postby Blurr » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Do you have your full license? If not start on a 250 as the law stats, I am no angel by any stetch but really it is not worth the legal dramas for riding a bigger bike on the road unlicensed.

As for riding, you have some of the best learning possible. Used to a bike moving around and being flighty. A road bike won't accelerate from a stand still like a dirt squirter but it will get blurry real quickly once your moving, even on a 600.

Weight distribution is very different so body position will feel percuilar esp while turning/leaning.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Wattie » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:12 pm

What country are you in mate?
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Re: New To Street Bikes.. Riding/Racing

Postby Strika » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:12 pm

Sounds like a good O'l boy Wattie :)

Mate, your laws are different to ours. We are restricted to certain capacities or outputs on our first and second stages of our licencing process. If you live in the U.S. I think you can start off on anything you want. If you have been riding dirt for that amount of time, I would just go out and buy the lightest, fastest, most powerful two wheeler I can find for the coin I have available. I've ridden in the U.S. previously in L.A. and I reckon with your roads that would suit you well. Perfect for Topanga canyon! ;)

Don't listen to all the politically correct wankers who will get in here and tell you it''s insane to start off on a big bike. Like really, a modern 1000cc sports bike only pumps out 180 odd hp and will only pull to about 300kph and they weigh about 170kgs the big heavy fuckers. Not like it's a Moto GP bike or anything.

Can't wait to see the pics once you buy something. have fun whatever you get! Oh... and don't mention the "H" word in here. ;)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby dilligaf » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:30 pm

see if you can get a copy of the twist of the wrist dvd
this is the trailer

That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Postby Gosling1 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:46 pm

Strika wrote:.....Sounds like a good O'l boy Wattie :)....

sure does - it was the guzzoline !!! :lol:

:kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby ZX9R Man » Wed Apr 01, 2015 4:05 pm

Gosling1 wrote:
Strika wrote:.....Sounds like a good O'l boy Wattie :)....

sure does - it was the guzzoline !!! :lol:

:kuda:

Hahaha ! I recall that word Guzzoline. Haven't seen that movie in a long time.

Was it when Gyro captain aka Bruce Spence lured Mad Max when he was hauling ass with that blower screaming, chewin' that fuel and the "low fuel" alert came on and had to scavenge to find fuel ?

I recall the scene where he outwits the snake and gyro unearths himself cocky like... hahahaha !!
Max always wins.
LOL ! took his fuel and then hog ties him into the passenger seat of that F****ing awesome beast 'The Interceptor" with a double barrel shot gun wired to his trusty blue heeler !!
What a great movie for the die hards !
So many great lines from this movie. Should start a thread as a general discussion. That would invite some discussion.
Go for it Gos.
ZX9R Man
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Return to Riding Technique Discussion