How to ride a 600?.....

Discuss riding techniques, styles and tips here.

How to ride a 600?.....

Postby Disco » Sat May 21, 2011 7:49 pm

Ok i think this is the best place to put this maybe :oops: ....

My question is when, as in what rev range is best to shift on a 600?.....I have been analysing the vid's from Winton and Jonno seem's to have a lot more gear change's than me at lower rev's and is quicker :? .....We both have the same model bike but his does have tastier bit's :x ....

When I'm on the 600 I will rev it to the limiter everywhere I can ie: between turn's 2-3 at winton I held it in two to the stop's but noticed Jonno would shift to third and keep a lot lower rev's....We are both @ the same weight (no offence Jonno).....

Also I seem's to have a lot of trouble with drive out off corner's I can outbreak bike's (600's/1000's) into corner's but will get smashed on exit by both!!! Is this just a matter of getting on the gas earlier??????....When I do get on the gas earlier the bike seem's to have massive understeer on exit and pushe's me wide almost everytime....suspension????.....Maybe I'm at the point I need's to spen some $$$$'s on a decent setup?

Any advice/criticism appreciated... :kuda:
Stopping=Crashing!
Disco
Team Monster

Bike: ZX6R
State: Please Select a State

Re: How to ride a 600?.....

Postby Blurr » Sat May 21, 2011 7:59 pm

Yes suspension in your issue to understeer, but from memory when riding your bike it suffered from being set up way to hard which can be linked.

WHere does your bike make it's torque. Sometimes it can be better to change up and keep the drive happening rather than trying to hit the limiter where it stops making real power after 13-14Krpm.

I really cant see how your still in second between turn 2 and 3 at Winton though.

Drive from the corner is just an extension from corner speed.
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby Disco » Sat May 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Blurr wrote:I really cant see how your still in second between turn 2 and 3 at Winton though.

Probably a mixture of being slow and a lazy shifter from having a 1000cc road bike :lol: ....

So as for the drive are you saying it's better to break earlier and coast thru faster rather than heavy breaking at the last minute and maybe out breaking yourself????.....I do find myself trail breaking into corner's a lot of the time.....
Stopping=Crashing!
Disco
Team Monster

Postby Strika » Sat May 21, 2011 8:14 pm

I have seen some of those bids too. From memory, you are entering the turn too early, which will make you later to get back on the gas & run wide on exit. Suspension set up will help if the bike is understeering, but I reckon your entries are too shallow. Oh...& you need to brake later & harder.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby ducati_paul » Sat May 21, 2011 8:17 pm

Get a Dyno run done on your bike, see where it makes peak power and that's when you should be changing gear, going to the redline you'll be past peak power.
here's a random dyno chart I got off Google
as you can see Peak power is at about 7800, if you hold it to the limiter at 9300 you aren't actually gaining power but rather losing it.

DISCLAIMER - This is my understanding of it and it could be completely wrong! :roll:
2012 Royal Enfield Military for the Road
ducati_paul
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby smithy5 » Sat May 21, 2011 8:20 pm

ducati_paul wrote:DISCLAIMER - This is my understanding of it and it could be completely wrong! :roll:

Hope you're right Paul, cause you made sense to me ;) :lol:
2013 Triumph Thunderbird 1700 Storm
Suzuki 1300 LillBusa Ute
Serviced by Allfixed Automotive Castle Hill PH: (02) 9634 1455
SRT Survivor & Oficial Photographer
smithy5
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Scooter

Postby Blurr » Sat May 21, 2011 8:22 pm

Yep as Marty said braking hard and late is a key but maybe let of the brakes earlier. Cant comment on your turning points without seeing the vids again.

I still dont see how you made it all the way to turn 3 in 2nd :shock: Even on the 1000 I needed most of third ;)
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

How to ride a 600?.....

Postby Wattie » Sat May 21, 2011 8:38 pm

I watched jonnos bid and almost commented how he is riding it like a 12. Ridge the torque. He may be more
Confident at gassing it out o corners, whereas your more apprehensive as you are in the higher rev range.

Get up it, rev the thing!
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

How to ride a 600?.....

Postby tim » Sat May 21, 2011 9:03 pm

Here ya go. Solid lines are my bike basically the same setup as Jonno's I think? Screened is Disco's bike. Sane dyno same day.
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305975703.414969.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1305975703.414969.jpg (36.72 KiB) Viewed 9146 times
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Blurr » Sat May 21, 2011 9:10 pm

Oh and for starters change your farkin shift lights. You have it set up so it's flashing red at about 10Krpm FFS :lol:
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

Postby Disco » Sat May 21, 2011 9:15 pm

Blurr wrote:Oh and for starters change your farkin shift lights. You have it set up so it's flashing red at about 10Krpm FFS :lol:

Actually it's 14k :P :roll:
Stopping=Crashing!
Disco
Team Monster

Postby Strika » Sat May 21, 2011 10:13 pm

Wattie wrote:I watched jonnos bid and almost commented how he is riding it like a 12. Ridge the torque. He may be more
Confident at gassing it out o corners, whereas your more apprehensive as you are in the higher rev range.

Get up it, rev the thing!

I'm with Wattie. A 600 needs revs. Even my old 95 stays above 8k and mostly above 10k. Dropping to 8 is only where gearing limits it. As in too high for 3rd, a bit tall for 2nd, but the compromise equals a better laptime.

Looking at the box and in the hope that Jonno won't get a big head, it looked like Jonno was tootling around getting footage & could & did pass when ever he felt like it.

That's most likely why his bike was revving lower. He was relaxed & comfortable at that pace. I could be wrong, but that's how it looked.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Baddie » Sun May 22, 2011 7:01 am

Jonno video???

Is it linked on here?
http://superbikesource.com.au/
For aftermarket racing products, from Annitori Quickshifters to Race fairings.

http://tarmactalk.com/forum/forum.php
Baddie
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Blurr » Sun May 22, 2011 9:19 am

it is in the Winton TD thread
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

Postby Jonno » Sun May 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Disco, a few sessions you were misted enough to be on my tail a lot, so you can wick it up when you want too ;)
On the day I was told that you would gain on me in the braking areas, but you lost the gain on the exits as I carried more corner speed and would pull away down the straights. You were brilliant on the left sweeper T5 and would see you disappear until T7 & T9 ;)

I am learning it is ok to rev the farkers too, they can handle it.Yes same year/model/capacity bike, it would be differently set-up being ex-FX, it goes good and was tooling around at times working it out, my main aim for the day was to concentrate on body position and regain confidence and made some improvement there. (thank fark) :D

Damn those liter bikes on the straights though :lol:

Edited: removed Hijack
Last edited by Jonno on Mon May 23, 2011 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Next

Return to Riding Technique Discussion