"Riding Techniques" Discussion Section

Discuss riding techniques, styles and tips here.

Postby tim » Mon May 16, 2011 12:56 am

This is something I've been thinking about for a long time and Jonno's post about us needing to move with the times prompted me.

What does everyone think?

So many new riders are signing up but there's nowhere obvious to ask these kinds of questions, or a catalog of articles and discussions to read about the art of motorcycling for all of us, and Facebook will never give that!

Having only started riding 2 years ago i know that motorbikes could be bloody confusing and daunting things to learn on your own, and there's sometimes some crap advice floating around in motorbike world so a section like this created by such an experienced community could be very valuable.

It could help as a way to engage with the forum and bring what we do on the road and track back here.

Sometimes I've wanted to write a piece on a particular technique etc but haven't bothered either because theres no obvious place to put it, or it will just get lost down the list of general discussions within a couple of days so what's the point. This post was inspired because of exactly that, a throttle control article/challenge I was drafting up had nowhere to live.

When you come back from a track day your review of the day goes into the thread, but then that problem you're having with turn 4 goes into the riding techniques discussion section and that discussion can get a life of it's own.

Each track could have it's own thread, each set of twisties, how do get quicker questions, all the standard technique points like scanning, body position, stretches etc etc etc

I know all of this stuff is in books but how often does everyone dust off their copy of "twist" if they have one. Then again, nowhere in twist does it have Wattie saying "just lean the farker" or the rider in front of you pointing through the corner to remind you to look where you're going and then talking about it on the forum later that night. :kuda:

I'll put my hand up to mod/look after/nurture it if that's the right thing 'cause I'm into this kind of thing; understanding exactly what's going on and doing things the right way for the right reasons, even if my relative lack of experience means I won't have all of the answers.

:kuda:
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re:

Postby aardvark » Mon May 16, 2011 9:44 am

Tim wrote:Then again, nowhere in twist does it have Wattie saying "just lean the farker"

And don't forget "Accelerate more, brake less".
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby Wattie » Mon May 16, 2011 6:34 pm

Yeah, my advice to Russ last round of fx. When you feel like you need to brake, count to 2 first :)
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Re:

Postby Jonno » Mon May 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Wattie wrote:Yeah, my advice to Russ last round of fx. When you feel like you need to brake, count to 2 first :)

I will take that advice if you don't mind?
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Re:

Postby Disco » Mon May 16, 2011 9:26 pm

I say Trent starts it with his troubles with T9 :P ....I think he is the new tinny :lol:
Stopping=Crashing!
Disco
Team Monster

State: Please Select a State

Re:

Postby Blurr » Mon May 16, 2011 11:00 pm

Wattie wrote:Yeah, my advice to Russ last round of fx. When you feel like you need to brake, count to 2 first :)

I beleive it was one and if I did with those pads I reakon I would of went motocrossing :oops:
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr

Re:

Postby photomike666 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:13 am

Does that work in turn 1 :shock:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666

State: Victoria

Postby Wattie » Tue May 17, 2011 8:52 am

photomike666 wrote:

I'm a skilled professional!
I was testing my new front end ;)
Also following russell's advice of reducing the time between full throttle and hard braking. It reduced it so much i went into the negatives :)
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Re:

Postby photomike666 » Tue May 17, 2011 2:44 pm

Wattie wrote:
photomike666 wrote:

I'm a skilled professional!
I was testing my new front end ;)
Also following russell's advice of reducing the time between full throttle and hard braking. It reduced it so much i went into the negatives :)

15% trail brake, coast (minimal time to let the suspension settle) 15% trail throttle, full power.Work on reducing reducing trail & coast time; going direct to Zero trail time is probably not ideal :D

BTW, I seem to be able to talk this better than I can put it into practice :?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666

State: Victoria

Re:

Postby Jonno » Tue May 17, 2011 4:41 pm

The fastest line through isn't necessarily the racing line in corners
Jonno
Mobile Chicane

Bike: Other Kawi
State: Queensland

Re:

Postby theanimal » Thu May 19, 2011 4:19 am

I would say the thing that has helped me the most (having only been riding for a few months is having confidence in ur bike... U can take onboard all the advice u like... But at the end of the day... If u don't have the confidence in ur bike... Or the balls to try something new or out of ur comfort zone... U will either hesitate and mess it up... Or u will simply waste time pussy-footing around...

Just have confidence in ur machine, have confidence in urself.... And convince urself "the bike will NOT fall over!" LOL
2011 Ninja 250
Akrapovic Carbon Slip-On

"One day your life will flash before your eyes... Make sure it's worth watching!"
theanimal

State: South Australia

Re: Re:

Postby Nelso » Thu May 19, 2011 10:35 am

photomike666 wrote:

Yes. You don't need to brake into turn one unless your on the power all the way to the 100 marker on a litre bike. Everything else you can just button off, throw it down a gear and tip it in.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Re:

Postby tim » Thu May 19, 2011 11:23 am

This is exactly what I'm talking about, these kinds of discussions don't have anywhere to go.....

buuuut not any interest or feedback at all for my idea so what's the point me trying to create something new for the site. :?
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Re:

Postby Supafrog » Thu May 19, 2011 11:33 am

I see the section now exists :D ...

But who actually has access to post topics/threads? :roll:
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX12R
State: Western Australia

Re: Re:

Postby MadKaw » Thu May 19, 2011 11:33 am

tim wrote:This is exactly what I'm talking about, these kinds of discussions don't have anywhere to go.....

buuuut not any interest or feedback at all for my idea so what's the point me trying to create something new for the site. :?

Its been there for ages and no one has posted to it... I was going to delete it from lack of activity..

Sorry I didn't do it straight away though, I was a bit busy with my other life... :D
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Riding Technique Discussion