Honda open to Casey Stoner wild card deal in 2013

Discussion area for Moto GP, WSB, WSS and national racing - non Kawi related

Honda open to Casey Stoner wild card deal in 2013

Postby Kermit » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:28 pm

18 February 2013

Honda has said it would give serious consideration to offering Casey Stoner the opportunity to step out of retirement and race in at least two MotoGP rounds in 2013.

There has been speculation that Stoner could ride a factory Honda RC213V machine in a bid to extend his phenomenal winning record on home soil at Phillip Island, while also taking part in the Japanese round at the Twin Ring Motegi later this season.

Stoner is undefeated in the Australian Grand Prix since 2007 and were he to confirm a wild card entry for the Phillip Island round on October 20, it would be a huge boost for race organisers who would be instantly assured of another bumper crowd.

HRC would also be keen on having Stoner wild card in its all-important home race at the Twin Ring Motegi a week later, which was the track were Stoner clinched his first MotoGP crown with Ducati back in 2007.

The rumours surrounding Stoner’s wild card appearances in MotoGP emanated in Australia, where the double MotoGP world champion is preparing for his debut in a Red Bull-backed Triple Eight Holden in the Dunlop V8 Supercar Series, which is a feeder series to the main V8 Supercar championship.

But while HRC has said no agreement is in place with Stoner at present, should he express serious interest in making selected appearances, the Japanese factory would attempt to honour any request.

Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: Honda open to Casey Stoner wild card deal in 2013

Postby Strika » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:28 am

I think it would take a fair old wad of cash for Casey to get interested in this!!! :) I think he's focussing hard on getting a tin top around a corner at the moment!! :)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Jonnymac » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:43 am

I would love him to do it and just smash the rest of the field.

It would give him some closure and satasfaction beating Rossi on the Yamaha as well I think.

Considering Rossi was king of the island before he was well and truly beaten by Casey.
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby holdontight » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:34 pm

Do you realy think that he's going to be able to jump on a MOTO gp bike and win on a wild card ride. I don't think so. He's a great rider but he's not god. He can't spend that much time off one of those bikes and than just turn up win and go home.
I love my new ZX10. It scares the shit out of me.
holdontight
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R

Postby young1 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:28 pm

Fair dues...I concur, big ask!! luv 2 see it but
The boy Youngs disciplinary record this week has been nothing but deplorable.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 650

Postby s man » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:25 pm

Two words.....NO CHANCE. The end...
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Postby Tack » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:51 pm

The current joke going round is - It's true if Casey denies it!
I live with fear everyday but on weekends she lets me ride.
Tack
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

State: Queensland

Postby Strika » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 pm

holdontight wrote:Do you realy think that he's going to be able to jump on a MOTO gp bike and win on a wild card ride. I don't think so. He's a great rider but he's not god. He can't spend that much time off one of those bikes and than just turn up win and go home.

He's every bit the rider that Bayliss is and Troy did it, on a Ducati at that. So I can see no reason for him not to be able to win once more at the Island. I'd go so far as to say he do it convincingly.

I was away from the race track for 9 years. When I came back it took about 30 laps before I was on it again. Casey has 1 million percent more skills and ability than me, so I can't see any reason he wouldn't be up to speed quickly. The bikes and tyres haven't changed much since last year and he's ridden this years Hoonda.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jonnymac » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:55 pm

holdontight wrote:Do you realy think that he's going to be able to jump on a MOTO gp bike and win on a wild card ride. I don't think so. He's a great rider but he's not god. He can't spend that much time off one of those bikes and than just turn up win and go home.

I actually can't see him riding again. But at PI if he does the race the round before YES I can see him going and dominating.

Think about when he came back from his 6 week stint when he was sick not only was he on the difficult to ride duck but he came back from his sickness and won the next two races.

The kids a freak especially at PI how many times was he not even close in practice then in the last two minutes of qualifying he would ride through all his problems and get pole.
He has more in reserve than any other rider, you just need to listen to a bloke like Colin Edwards talking about him.
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Kwakked Up » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:46 pm

Strika wrote:

He's every bit the rider that Bayliss is and Troy did it, on a Ducati at that. So I can see no reason for him not to be able to win once more at the Island. I'd go so far as to say he do it convincingly.

I was away from the race track for 9 years. When I came back it took about 30 laps before I was on it again. Casey has 1 million percent more skills and ability than me, so I can't see any reason he wouldn't be up to speed quickly. The bikes and tyres haven't changed much since last year and he's ridden this years Hoonda.

Funny I was thinking the exact same thing about being off the bike till you mentioned Bayliss. How fkn good was that ride by Troy :kuda: Yep, maybe Casey could pull it off, would love to see him stick it em but me thinks they are desperate to get the crowds to PI.
06 zx10r - road
99 zx7r - trackie
77 z1000 - project
Kwakked Up
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jonnymac » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:56 pm

Haha like ya work Marty, we must've been writing at exactly the same time.

You know what they say "clever minds"....
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Strika » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Jonnymac wrote:Haha like ya work Marty, we must've been writing at exactly the same time.

You know what they say "clever minds"....

But JM, they also say fools never differ......... :) either way I'm ok with it........ :)
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jonnymac » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:57 pm

Yep I'm happy to run with that too........
Jonnymac
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Naked Twin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:43 pm

Strika wrote:

+1

He could win on a push bike
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby s man » Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:14 pm

I hope he doesnt do it. Stick to his word & enjoy his time away. Plus Roland Dane will have him on a contract so you can bet, that moto gp racing is a big no no..
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
s man
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000

Next

Return to General Racing Discussion