Stoner's replacement?

Discussion area for Moto GP, WSB, WSS and national racing - non Kawi related

Stoner's replacement?

Postby Kermit » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:30 pm

Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta says he has tabled a proposition to scrap MotoGP's rookie rule with the Grand Prix Commission.

Ezpeleta, who had previously been adamant the rule would stay in place, said his reversal was based on discussions with the series' current satellite teams - the squads the rookie rule is designed to protect. The regulation precludes MotoGP newcomers from riding for factory teams in their debut year.

Rather than supporting the rule however, Ezpeleta says Tech 3, LCR and Gresini valued keeping their existing riders over the benefits of keeping the rookie rule in place.

Assured therefore that there were no objections to scrapping the rule, Ezpeleta said - as reported by AUTOSPORT last week – that applying to cancel the rule was the logical next step.

"We talked to the people who might enjoy this rule, the four independents. They decided it was more important to keep their existing riders than to have the possibility of having new riders coming from other categories," he told the MotoGP website at Silverstone.

"We decided from common sense to propose to the Grand Prix Commission the request to cancel the rookie rule.

"The request was made by the MSMA [Motorcycle Sports Manufacturers Association] in Jerez and we said no.

"Now after many discussions with the independent teams we decided it is better, and in the help of the independent teams, to cancel the rule.

"This is something that needs to be approved by the GPC regarding the possibility, that's all."

The implications of the rookie rule have been hotly debated in the aftermath of Casey Stoner's shock retirement, and Honda's subsequent desire to call up Moto2 starlet Marc Marquez into its works squad.

While the rookie rule prevents this at present, it would also be difficult for Honda to place him with a satellite team – as has happened in the past – due to potential conflicts over the fact Marquez in backed by works team sponsor Repsol.

Ezpeleta acknowledged that the MotoGP landscape had changed since the rookie rule's introduction, and hinted it was another factor behind his call to scrap the rule.

"The situation is that the rookie rule was implemented to protect the interests of the independent teams. [At that] moment we had around 20 factory bikes, all of them similar performance," he said.

"Today the situation is not fixed, but we have factory bikes and CRT. Most probably [a] new rider in their first year in MotoGP can use one of the existing four non-factory bikes or be in the CRT. [If CRT is the only choice] maybe then the people prefer to stay in Moto2 or do other things."

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/100503

Cheque's in the mail Marquez.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Re: MotoGP, scrap the rookie rule

Postby javaman » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:35 pm

They should really make up their minds on things.

I'm more interested on the battles that is Moto2 actually. So Dorna can do whatever.
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900
State: Victoria

Re: Stoner's replacement?

Postby Wattie » Tue Jun 26, 2012 8:49 pm

Was there ever any doubt?

Rumours that Marquez had signed with Repsol MotoGp team before the discussion of the rule came out.

Apparently when the rookie rule drops, Honda had to make a compromise. :?

Can I smell control ECU? Something Honda has been fighting against.
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Stoner's replacement?

Postby Blurr » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:05 pm

Don't understand how scrapping the rule allows the satellite teams to keep exiting riders. Surely if Bautista, crutchlow or dovi were offered a factory ride they would be gone in a flash.

Sounds like a very weak excuse to me.

However if they don't scrap it, I lay money on Gresini or LCR having an extra bike next year, and I doubt it would cost the team anything. ;)
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Postby MAXUMIS » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:36 pm

If i was Honda i would like Alvaro Bautista? starting to show himself!
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Dafuzz31 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:31 am

If I was honda I would say to Stoner......" heres the rest of your $million contact ........... and then either put some work into pedrosa or try and upgrade some1 from Moto 2 with a few extra dollars.......surely an Ant West would love a crack on a machione with some extra pace......>
2009 ZX-6r Monster Energy Edition - Hotbodies MGP Growler slipon, DynoJet PCV, Dyno Jet Auto Tune, K&N Race Airfilter
Dafuzz31
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R

Stoner's replacement?

Postby Wattie » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:53 am

Dafuzz31 wrote:If I was honda I would say to Stoner......" heres the rest of your $million contact ........... and then either put some work into pedrosa or try and upgrade some1 from Moto 2 with a few extra dollars.......surely an Ant West would love a crack on a machione with some extra pace......>

Ant west would ride it and bag the shit out of it and say how fucked the bike is and how little hes getting paid.
They should lock that guy in a box for wet days only.
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Stoner's replacement?

Postby BlackRabbit » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:41 am

Yeah wattie. West has been over rated and whining for years about always drawing the shit rides. The guy has no talent IMHO
10 ZX10 Melbourne
BlackRabbit
Warming up
Warming up

Postby Gosling1 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:17 pm

Wattie wrote:
Dafuzz31 wrote:If I was honda I would say to Stoner......" heres the rest of your $million contact ........... and then either put some work into pedrosa or try and upgrade some1 from Moto 2 with a few extra dollars.......surely an Ant West would love a crack on a machione with some extra pace......>

Ant west would ride it and bag the shit out of it and say how fucked the bike is and how little hes getting paid.
They should lock that guy in a box for wet days only.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: true that .

Rossi will be on a Repsol Honda next year. You just wait and see....

:kuda:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Six Addict » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:39 pm

Gosling1 wrote:
Rossi will be on a Repsol Honda next year. You just wait and see....

:kuda:

im quoting this cos either way its a memorable prediction :lol: :lol: :lol:
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Return to General Racing Discussion