Was Marqez in the wrong

Discussion area for Moto GP, WSB, WSS and national racing - non Kawi related

Was Marquez in the wrong?

Did he fark over Pol by cutting him off?
48%
Should Pol have expected Marquez to close the line and realise he didnt have enough room to pull it off without collision?
52%

Total votes : 23

Re: Was Marqez in the wrong

Postby Strika » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:26 pm

Anyone who thinks Marquez was in the wrong must have been watching a different race to the one I watched. Pol came from a fair way back to hit him. Unless Marquez has eyes in the back of his head, there is no way he would have known that Pol was there. Go racing and see if you know where all the other riders behind you are. It's not the responsibility of the rider in front to watch his/her back, it's the responsibility of the rider behind to make a clean pass. Hoffy, normally you are arbitrary with your remarks, this time I feel you may be allowing personal feelings to influence your comments. Like him or hate him, Marquez was in the right.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Postby Chitchats » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:28 pm

hoffy wrote:Struggling to keep up :lol:

He was leading the championship at that point and it is not uncommon for riders to sit directly behind the leaders in Moto2 until the final laps.. :lol:

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh ok then,

my mistake ;)

:roll:
Chitchats
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Z1000
State: New South Wales

Postby hoffy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:46 pm

Strika wrote:Unless Marquez has eyes in the back of his head, there is no way he would have known that Pol was there.

your right Strika...actually, no your wrong :lol: Pol is clearly Miles behind Marqez... :D

Next...bring it on... :twisted:

:lol:
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Postby Strika » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 pm

One final pic from the incident does not show where he came from in order to hit him. You could get a job on A Current Affair using examples like that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watch the WHOLE vid, Pol hits him just after Marquez climbs back on the bike......................... :roll:
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Was Marqez in the wrong

Postby fireyrob » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:20 pm

I blame the Government.
09 ZX6R
03 Zthou
fireyrob
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Postby hoffy » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:39 pm

Strika wrote:One final pic from the incident does not show where he came from in order to hit him. You could get a job on A Current Affair using examples like that!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Watch the WHOLE vid, Pol hits him just after Marquez climbs back on the bike......................... :roll:

ok so you first arguement was shot down in flames..now you go on another tangent...watevr girlfriend... :lol:

whatever peoples feelings on the matter, its great for Moto2, and ppl will be glued to the next race....which is great for the sport...

.....and Marqez is a dirty racer... :lol:
hoffy
Team Barge
Team Barge

Postby Nelso » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:12 pm

I agree that Marqez is a bit too aggressive at times (dirty racer) but this situation was not one of them.

Hoff, I have questioned a few of the moves some (like Rossi and Marqez) have got away with over the past couple of seasons and believe in race etiquette, but I think this one was purely a racing incident. If he had turned his head, saw Espargaro and continued to turn into him it would be a different story.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Phil » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:32 pm

Nelso wrote:I agree that Marqez is a bit too aggressive at times (dirty racer) but this situation was not one of them.

Hoff, I have questioned a few of the moves some (like Rossi and Marqez) have got away with over the past couple of seasons and believe in race etiquette, but I think this one was purely a racing incident. If he had turned his head, saw Espargaro and continued to turn into him it would be a different story.

I've gotta agreen with the big fellas, I thought the move on Luthi in round one was more dangerous than this one though. Racing - in this case (only just though -) incident but it was in Spain - and they are both Spanish (despite Wattie trying to turn him into a Frenchman ;) )
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby EDU » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:24 pm

IMO (and yes I watched the race and plenty of angles of slo mo replays) Marquez knows he is there but decides to go anyway. Penalty should be enforced.

Pol is clearly ahead before impact. There's no way in the world Marquez can claim he didn't see him and couldn't avoid it.

I agree that it is the responsibility from the rider behind to overtake cleanly! But the situation there is not your average overtaking... Marquez had just recovered from a near crash, had the bike already under control and then (and only then) he changes his line to cover a possible overtaking from Spargaro. Too little too late... and I imagine that all of those that are here defending that attitude would have been fuming if they were in Pol's boots.

Even if it wasn't 'illegal' it is something you don't do. It's not like when Rossi exchanged paints with Stoner or even when Marco did his 'rubbing' in the 250 class... those were straight up overtaking manoeuvres in a dogfight. What Marquez pulled was completely unethical to say the least. And I'm fan of the kid... Seriously wish he wins the Championship but my opinion will change if he keep that up.
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Wattie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:32 pm

EDU wrote:IMO (and yes I watched the race and plenty of angles of slo mo replays) Marquez knows he is there but decides to go anyway. Penalty should be enforced.

Pol is clearly ahead before impact. There's no way in the world Marquez can claim he didn't see him and couldn't avoid it.

I agree that it is the responsibility from the rider behind to overtake cleanly! But the situation there is not your average overtaking... Marquez had just recovered from a near crash, had the bike already under control and then (and only then) he changes his line to cover a possible overtaking from Spargaro. Too little too late... and I imagine that all of those that are here defending that attitude would have been fuming if they were in Pol's boots.

Even if it wasn't 'illegal' it is something you don't do. It's not like when Rossi exchanged paints with Stoner or even when Marco did his 'rubbing' in the 250 class... those were straight up overtaking manoeuvres in a dogfight. What Marquez pulled was completely unethical to say the least. And I'm fan of the kid... Seriously wish he wins the Championship but my opinion will change if he keep that up.

What makes you think he knew Pol was there?
The front 3 had battled all race long while Pol worked to catch up.
He got a sniff from far back and got greedy I reckon.

He wasn't close enough to get through safely.
Riders are allowed to cover their lines. Marquez was just getting back on line to get the best run in to he following right hander. All of a sudden Pol is skidding down into him. Yes! Pol had lost it before the collision occurred. Watched the second angle of footage again. I reckon he panicked and grabbed a bit of brake loading the front and slid into Marquez.

If Marquez didn't ride aggressively (sometimes too aggressive) this would never have been discussed.
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby EDU » Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:49 pm

He knew he was there because:

a) He could see him. Even if he didn't move his head, he saw him before the impact because Pol was ahead and he was on the left side of the bike.
b) He's not deaf. I don't care how many expectators were there cheering on the day, he heard that bike there. It was less than a meter from him... Even with plugs I hear bikes coming from behind on a track day and most of them are quieter than a Moto2 bike. Also, at that stage, there was no other bike anywhere near Marquez... he couldn't even have mistaken it from the sound of the bike in front, for example.

The reason Pol has to grab a handful of brake is exactly BECAUSE Marquez changed direction abruptly to cover the line. It's called cause and consequence... you can't change the order and re-analyse it.

Like I said, I like the kid. I have no bif there... I have always appreciated riders that ride aggressively. I don't think he made anything wrong on the previous overtakings (like cutting across and etc) and I even defended Simoncelli when him and Pedrosa had a close encounter.

But this incident was uncalled for, that's why I think there should be a penalty. Marquez, shouldn't have crossed the racing line at that speed. He knew it was dangerous and it could have ended much worse than it did. He also could (and should) have avoided the collision. He had plenty of time to do it but he carried on...

Some of the comments regarding Pol's overtaking make it sound like he was speeding and hit Marquez from behind. It wasn't the case at all. Marquez was VERY slow and there was no other reason to go back to the race line (especially in the manner he did) other than to block a pass.
EDU
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Pol didn't *skid* into anybody. He held a tight line all the way through that corner, not wavering once from his line. Not once. He had the inside line and the momentum.

Marquez on the other hand - yeh it was a great save good on him for that - but on recovering from this he just aimed straight across and tried to get his inside line back. He did not have the momentum and just barged into the side of Pol - who was still holding his line with better corner speed !!!

It was a classic blocking technique to take Pol's advantage away. Anybody who cant see this must be blind in one eye and can't see out the fucken other !! :roll:

I can guarantee you that if the situation had been reversed and Pol had barged into Marquez and taken him out in the same way - the Spanish lynch mob would have been out in force looking for Pol's head !!!

One rule for Repsol riders in Spain, apparently the rest can go and get fucked though.

I really hope that Pol does a number on Marquez as soon as he can and dish out some of the same medicine. Will be really interesting to see the reactions if this does happen.......

8)
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby yzr750 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:21 pm

Gosling1 wrote:Pol didn't *skid* into anybody. He held a tight line all the way through that corner, not wavering once from his line. Not once. He had the inside line and the momentum.

Marquez on the other hand - yeh it was a great save good on him for that - but on recovering from this he just aimed straight across and tried to get his inside line back. He did not have the momentum and just barged into the side of Pol - who was still holding his line with better corner speed !!!

It was a classic blocking technique to take Pol's advantage away. Anybody who cant see this must be blind in one eye and can't see out the fucken other !! :roll:

I can guarantee you that if the situation had been reversed and Pol had barged into Marquez and taken him out in the same way - the Spanish lynch mob would have been out in force looking for Pol's head !!!

One rule for Repsol riders in Spain, apparently the rest can go and get fucked though.

I really hope that Pol does a number on Marquez as soon as he can and dish out some of the same medicine. Will be really interesting to see the reactions if this does happen.......

8)

Spot on, and it's not like Marquez doesn't have previous either, he's a dirty rider, he's already injured someone. You can tell what the other riders think of him by the way they completely ignore him in parc ferme.
yzr750
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning
State: Queensland

Postby Wattie » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:33 pm

yzr750 wrote:
Gosling1 wrote:Pol didn't *skid* into anybody. He held a tight line all the way through that corner, not wavering once from his line. Not once. He had the inside line and the momentum.

8)

Spot on, and it's not like Marquez doesn't have previous either, he's a dirty rider, he's already injured someone. You can tell what the other riders think of him by the way they completely ignore him in parc ferme.

Who did he injure?
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Was Marqez in the wrong

Postby Blurr » Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Because of one move in round one everybody thinks he is dirty. Has anybody actually sat down and watched the racing last weekend. That move was carried out by half the riders in moto3, does that make them all dirty???

That corner has many different fast lines through it eg tight curb hugging and double apex fast exit just to name 2.

Whilst marquez slipped his line wasn't actually that bad all the way through. The wider slow mid corner allowed him to tighten up and get a better drive plus track position for the next corner. A prime example of this is turn 2 at EC now without the seam. You can hit the first apex much harder, run wide and bring it back around for a faster and better positioned exit. It is a valid line.

Saying that, as Wattie said Pol was a long way back and was ambitious considering he should have known MM would come back for a close exit line. Any rider worth half there salt should have known that. At no time was Pol in front, I don't know how any of you think that considering even 'IF'they were dead even, MM having the inside line for the next corner makes him in front.

Seeing is a lot different to hearing. Even though I hear other bikes doesn't mean I know there exact location.

Pol should have seen that gap being risky and acted accordingly,
Chariot of Fury 50cc 2stroke Race bike
Team Gumby in red
SAM & SRT Survived
Blurr
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

PreviousNext

Return to General Racing Discussion