Waters and Staring win ASBK

Discussion area for Moto GP, WSB, WSS and national racing - non Kawi related

Waters and Staring win ASBK

Postby MadKaw » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Waters & Staring The Big Winners At ASBK
Officials Release from IEG:

Waters runs hot to claim Superbike Championship, Staring takes Supersport.

The 2009 Woodstock Bourbon Australian Superbike Championship is over and two new champions were crowned in Superbike and Supersport.

Team Joe Rocket Suzuki rider Josh Waters dominated both races at the final round of the Woodstock Bourbon Australian Superbike Championship at Victoria’s Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit this afternoon to claim his first Australian Superbike Championship.

Twenty-two-year-old Waters, in his rookie Superbike season, held off the challenges of Team Oleon Oils Motologic Honda duo Glenn Allerton and Wayne Maxwell to claim the number one plate in a thrilling winner-take-all finale to the seven-round series.

Waters had entered the round two points adrift of defending champion Allerton and seven points clear of Maxwell, but withstood the pressure placed on him by the Honda riders to give the factory-backed Suzuki team its first Superbike title in six years.

“I’ve never felt as nervous as I did today,” said Waters. “The team has been fantastic and worked so hard to give me a bike that would do the job.

“I knew when I had my teammate sitting behind me as wingman in the last race that the title was mine.

Waters’ Suzuki teammate Shawn Giles finished second overall for the round, the three-time champion finishing equal on points with Allerton after both riders recorded second and third placings, but Giles was awarded second on count-back by race officials after finishing ahead of the Honda rider in race two.

“Congratulations to Josh – that was an awesome ride he put in,” said Allerton. “I gave it a good shake, but it just didn’t happen for us this weekend.”

After entering the round as points leader Allerton finished the 2009 season on 291pts, 10 adrift of Waters’ 310, but 46pts ahead of third-placed Maxwell.

Maxwell, who had qualified fastest for today’s races, saw his championship chance disappear on the opening lap of race one when he was flung viciously off his bike after hitting a patch of water on the opening lap as he exited Turn 11.

“It was my fault – I made a silly mistake,” said Maxwell, who fractured his right foot and left leg in the incident. “That’s the way it goes.”

Officials immediately red-flagged the race as Maxwell’s bike was removed from the edge of the track and he was treated at the scene by medical personnel.

Three-time New Zealand Superbike Champion Robbie Bugden finished fourth overall on his Team Joe Rocket Suzuki, with privateer Yamaha rider Grant Hay upstaging some of the more-fancied factory teams to grab a top five position overall.

In the Insure My Ride Australian Supersport Championship Bryan Staring emerged victorious over defending Australian Supersport Champion and Yamaha Racing Team teammate Jamie Stauffer, with fellow Yamaha Racing Team rider Pat Medcalf claiming the inaugural Australian Superstock 1000 Championship.
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Waters and Staring win ASBK

Postby dilligaf » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:23 pm

Sport radio (SEN) down here did a live coverage :D One of the commentators did a hot lap on the back of a bike and there's been a lot of good publicity about that as well. He gave another report tonight and it sounds like he's still shaking. :P
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900
State: Victoria

Return to General Racing Discussion