MotoGP returning to 1000cc??

Discussion area for Moto GP, WSB, WSS and national racing - non Kawi related

MotoGP returning to 1000cc??

Postby Lone Wolf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:47 am

http://www.motomatters.com/news/2009/11 ... _2012.html

The 800cc formula is dead. MotoGP is set to return to 1000cc from 2012, according to a proposal submitted to the Grand Prix Commission at Valencia today. The 800cc bikes have received a deluge of criticism, almost from the moment they were introduced, and that deluge has finally buried them.

The decision has hinged upon a change of mind by the MSMA, the manufacturers association. So far, the manufacturers have been opposed to any changes to the MotoGP formula, partly because high costs of entry created a barrier to new entrants in the class, allowing the existing participants to dominate the class. But the high costs have taken their toll even on the existing manufacturers, and with the future of Suzuki in the class in doubt under the current rules, and even doubt about just how long Honda was prepared to continue, a change was almost inevitable. 2012 is the earliest date it is possible to make the change, as the current 5 year contract that exists between Dorna, the FIM and the MSMA expires at the end of 2011. That contract states that no changes may be made to the engine capacity without a unanimous decision by all of the manufacturers in the MSMA.

The initial proposal was to allow the use of production engines in prototype chassis, but the current proposal makes no mention of production engines at all. MotoMatters.com asked Herve Poncharal about the proposal, and asked whether this was to be production engines or not.

"Nobody's talking about production engines," Poncharal told us. "The Grand Prix Commission is thinking about going back to 1000cc engines. This is more than supported by Dorna, more than supported by Dorna, but the first reaction to this by MSMA is very very positive." The MSMA's new position has been the key difference, Poncharal pointed out, and the Monster Tech 3 Yamaha boss was delighted at this change of heart. "I'm really happy, I'm very happy about that. It looks like there is a consensus, but we have to take it day-by-day."

The fear is, of course, that a change in engine capacity would not be enough to cut costs, and merely create a new class of expensive prototypes. Poncharal said that this would not be allowed to happen: "The whole idea supported by everybody including the MSMA is to get the costs drastically down." Just how to ensure that is a different matter altogether, though. Poncharal admitted it would be difficult, but said that the Grand Prix Commission would not try to solve everything at once. Asked how to ensure that costs didn't once again spiral out of control, Poncharal replied "That's the next question. One day at a time!"
"Women are temperamental... half temper, half mental."

http://www.corporateboxgym.com.au
Lone Wolf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX7R
State: Queensland

Re: MotoGP returning to 1000cc??

Postby aardvark » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:29 pm

How does increasing the capacity of the engine reduce cost? Surely the cost of the electronics, chassis, suspension, R&D, airfares, wages etc remains the same?? Am I missing something?

I think the easiest way to reduce costs is to limit the riders salaries and introduce a rule that no changes are to be made to the bike, in terms of new parts after say, the 3rd race of the season.
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby Gosling1 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:49 pm

What a total fuck-up. The MotoGP circus will then consist of 1000cc 4-cyl four-strokes, with a sub-class of 600cc 4-cyl four-strokes.......and WSB ?? Well, these guys, to ensure they are a totally different class, will have......1000cc 4-cyl four-strokes, and a sub-class of GUESS WHAT ? 600cc 4-cyl four-strokes.......

what a joke.

I have ignored the 2-cyl cheaters in WSB, because they need 1200cc in order to be competitive. :roll:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby Lone Wolf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:53 pm

My thoughts exactly. Not to mention the cost of development going from 990cc, down to 800cc, and now back up to 1000cc

Lone Wolf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby aardvark » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:14 pm

Gosling1 wrote:I have ignored the 2-cyl cheaters in WSB, because they need 1200cc in order to be competitive. :roll:

I agree, and disagree... Why don't they just allow any engine size/configuration but limit horsepower and torque?

As for MotoGP, they should just let the riders race whatever the hell manufacturers want to produce.... 2litre V4's or something. :)
aardvark

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby Tinman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:25 pm

Gosling1 wrote:I have ignored the 2-cyl cheaters in WSB, because they need 1200cc in order to be competitive. :roll:

I agree! it's always been a ducati cup
Live 2 Ride!
Honda 2003 Race bike
2009 Mozzie Green ofcourse

http://www.rcutopia.com.au
Tinman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Lone Wolf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:28 pm

I still prefer WSBK to MotoP, always have. Love it too when, like this year, the smaller 4's beat the larger twins (except that I really want Haga to win, on anything, at least once)

Lone Wolf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Tinman » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:31 pm

Grey Ghost wrote:I still prefer WSBK to MotoP, always have. Love it too when, like this year, the smaller 4's beat the larger twins (except that I really want Haga to win, on anything, at least once)

I did want Haga to win though he missed out one year on th r7 didn't he???
Live 2 Ride!
Honda 2003 Race bike
2009 Mozzie Green ofcourse

http://www.rcutopia.com.au
Tinman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Lone Wolf » Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:59 pm

2000 to Colin Edwards. Due to failing a drug test at the start of the year. The penalty wasn't imposed until just before the last round

Lone Wolf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby red_dave » Fri Nov 13, 2009 3:32 pm

As long as there are more than 4 bikes consistently competitive over the season, i don't care if they run Caterpiller engines... :kuda:
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Postby JD01 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:00 pm

The electronics must take up a huge amount of money, particulary when you consider how fast the technology is progressing, ban the rider aids and the close racing will return. As for the Ducatti cup thing, the only unfair advantage ducatti had in the recent past was Bayliss, but I hear what your saying, they want to keep ducatti happy and in the series. I have an old dvd about wsb from the early days and Iam pretty sure the mention some of the rules twins can have a larger engine, fair enough, and the 4 cyls get slugged with an extra 20kg, I will check when I get home in 2 weeks but I am pretty sure that was the figure, of couse the dukes hadled better, they didn't have a tub of lard hanging off their arse.
JD01
Warming up
Warming up

State: Please Select a State

Postby Zoidberg » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:47 pm

Hooray, bring back the firebreathing, powersliding 1,000cc MotoGP machines! There is talk of allowing production based litre engines in MotoGP, reminicent of the old WCM team who used highly modified r1 cylinder heads in 2003. It will all depend on what WSB's contract with the FIM says.

aardvark wrote:I agree, and disagree... Why don't they just allow any engine size/configuration but limit horsepower and torque?

Hello AMA sportbike?

As for MotoGP, they should just let the riders race whatever the hell manufacturers want to produce.... 2litre V4's or something. :)

Exactly. Bigger capacity = cheaper horsepower. Limit them to four gears so the engines have to be torquey and not screamers (lower maintenance) and they use steel brakes instead of carbon.
MotoMatters.com had an excellent article on this topic. It's in three parts here, here and here.
Ah, computer dating. It's like pimping but you rarely have to use the phrase "upside your head" - Bender Bending Rodríguez
Zoidberg
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby matchan » Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:24 pm

matchan
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby javaman » Tue Dec 15, 2009 4:11 pm

How about just have one rule: Race whatever you have :kuda:

The equilibrum will eventually be reached and then we know what is the best way to build fastest bike on a track.
alien.gif andi - Red GPZ900R, GPZ750R1, KLR650 Tengai, KLR250
"my dad's motorbike is cool it is all ways clean.oheter pepole' s motorbikes
are't like my dad's one it's because their is one not always clean."
-ariel circa 2007
http://GPZninja.blogspot.com/
javaman
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GPz900
State: Victoria

Postby photomike666 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:40 pm

Let them spend what ever they want - it is the pinnical of racing. If you want the development to have benefit to the real world, limit the amount of fuel they are allowed to use. You can guarentee with in a season they will be back up to full power/speed, and will have developed technology that will be useful on the road.

Also, banning rider aids is a must - otherwise they might as well run the machines by remote computer control.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
07 ZX10R since new, tracky TBA, KX450F, 87 CR250 restoration, GT MTB - I've got serious thrill issues, dude
photomike666

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Next

Return to General Racing Discussion