Moto GP - Toseland out - Spies in

Discussion area for Moto GP, WSB, WSS and national racing - non Kawi related

Moto GP - Toseland out - Spies in

Postby MadKaw » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:36 am

James Toseland loses MotoGP ride

By Matthew Birt -

MotoGP

17 September 2009 13:17

James Toseland is likely to make a swift but reluctant return to World Superbikes in 2010 after losing his MotoGP ride.
World Superbike sensation Ben Spies has opted to quit World Superbikes and move to the Monster Yamaha Tech 3 squad where he will join fellow Texan Colin Edwards next season in an all-American team.
According to MCN sources, Toseland’s departure was finalised earlier this week after meetings between Tech 3 boss Herve Poncharal and senior Yamaha management in Milan.
Despite a hugely promising rookie campaign in 2008 when he claimed six top six finishes, the Yorkshireman has struggled to build on that success this season.
He was badly hindered by two massive pre-season crashes but only three top six finishes in the opening 13 races of 2009 have failed to save Toseland from the axe.
Spies, who recently signed a two-year deal with Yamaha, has decided to quit WSB even though he has yet to clinch the world title.
It was thought the triple American superbike champion would delay a decision on his 2010 plans until his WSB title fight with Ducati star Noriyuki Haga had been concluded.
But his decision has meant the end of Toseland’s MotoGP career after just two seasons racing against in the elite class.
MCN also understands Toseland’s manager Roger Burnett was in Milan this week trying to secure the 28-year-old British rider a place in Yamaha’s World Superbike squad as replacement for Spies.
But there is fierce competition for an R1 ride with World Supersport leader Cal Crutchlow a leading candidate. Aussie Chris Vermeulen also held talks with Yamaha management in Italy this week.
An official announcement on Spies’ decision could be made shortly with details now being leaked. If not the deal will probably made official at the Imola WSB round next weekend.
Spies’ decision to move to MotoGP will leave British fans without a home rider to support in 2010.
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Re: Moto GP - Toseland out - Spies in

Postby aardvark » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:33 am

As I predicted in an earlier thread sometime ago. The Tech3 press release regarding next years riders was VERY vague at the time!
aardvark
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: Yamaha
State: South Australia

Postby red_dave » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:31 pm

It was only a matter of time... :kuda:
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R
State: Queensland

Postby Six Addict » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:33 pm

I would like to see spies get his arse whooped... but that might just be me hating americans or yamaha riders... :?
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati
State: New South Wales

Postby Phil » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:06 pm

Six Addict wrote:I would like to see spies get his arse whooped... but that might just be me hating americans or yamaha riders... :?

Ben Spies is not anything like an American - based soley on my 2 conversations with him. He seemed more like an Australian if you ask me ;)

Have you also noticed no "American" flag on his bike - its the Texan flag. Aparently even Americans regard Texans as different. I will present good ol No.34 as exhibit A :lol:
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Postby BrisZX9R » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:33 pm

I worked with quite a few texans while in Iraq and still keep in touch with several of them... They are different to other Americans.

They do class themselves as texans, not Americans.. apparently texas USED to be it's own country back in the day, so that mentality has remained, hence why most texans have the texas flag on helmets, bikes, jackets etc instead of the USA flag... They are texans always first.

As for Spies.. never met him, can't judge him till then... as for booting Toseland out.. well it is a business and a cut throat one at that, so ride hard and WIN or go home i guess. Which is a shame. I do like Toseland's riding style and attitude when you read his articles in the bike mags.
BrisZX9R
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX9R

Postby red_dave » Fri Oct 02, 2009 10:11 am

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/racing/james-toseland-heads-wsbk-2010/

James Toseland, the former World Superbike Champion and current MotoGP satellite rider, will be headed back to World Superbike for the 2010 season, taking the place of Ben Spies who will be moving into Toseland’s now empty seat at Monster Tech3 Yamaha.

more evidence...
red_dave
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Bike: ZX6R

Postby Strika » Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:21 am

Phil wrote:
Six Addict wrote:I would like to see spies get his arse whooped... but that might just be me hating americans or yamaha riders... :?

Ben Spies is not anything like an American - based soley on my 2 conversations with him. He seemed more like an Australian if you ask me ;)

Have you also noticed no "American" flag on his bike - its the Texan flag. Aparently even Americans regard Texans as different. I will present good ol No.34 as exhibit A :lol:

Not sure if he still does, but good ol No.34 and a few guys I know, used to go hunting up in western NSW every year! It was just a piss guzzling exercise of course!! :lol: But, he really is a brilliant bloke! As is Good ol #45! ;) (but of course, he's half Aussie anyway!!)
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me" Hunter S. Thompson.
There are really only two questions in life. 1.Which way do i go? 2.What is the lap record?
Strika
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: Yamaha
State: Victoria

Return to General Racing Discussion