new rider, is my 09 ninja 250r carb or fuel injection?

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

new rider, is my 09 ninja 250r carb or fuel injection?

Postby GTi_RSI » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:31 pm

hey guys, name is jace. am a first time owner/rider of a 2009 (compliance plate says (12-10) kawasaki green ninja 250r, 17,500k's and well looked after, picked it up tonight for $3200 with fresh 6 months rego and had my first ride ever on a bike. being heavily into cars most of my life i decided a bike was the next big venture (owning 2 high powered/fuel hungry cars, was getting abit heavy on the wallet), I went surprisingly well for my first time, no stacks or wobbles only a few missed gear changes and touchy front braking, probably because i need to adjust my gear and brake levers to suit my style, plus i've been hopping onto a 50cc scooter everynow and then to familiarize myself with the countersteer and leaning.

the question i have now for you lads is if my ninja is carb or fuel injected? after all the research i have done online and in forums it would suggest that they only came to aus as a carbed model, but after looking into it deeper i have noticed that my gauge cluster is different to most if not all aussie 08-10 ninja's in regards to the aussie's having a fuel gauge/needle and a water temp light. where as mine has the temperature gauge/needle and a fuel level light instead, the other interesting thing i noticed is the prescence of a FI indicator light which to me being very car minded says fuel injection, as seen in the pictures below of the dash. the best photo i could get of the carb/fuel injection setup is also below, and i'm pretty sure im seeing 2 injectors mounted after the airbox, but then again i'm still relatively new to bikes and how they are designed/excecuted. also, there is no choke lever on the handlebars to be seen and when turning the key to the on position when its cold results in a buzz noise which i'm very familiar with being a electronic fuel pump priming, almost as loud as my datsuns bosch 070 pump sitting externally under the car! would love to hear your opinions on this and if i'm just being a total knob or not and am not seeing an obvious picture if it is carb or FI, again excuse my ignorance towards bike mechanics!

thanks, and hope to ride with you guys in the future!

GTi_RSI

Bike: Ninja 250
State: Queensland

Re: new rider, is my 09 ninja 250r carb or fuel injection?

Postby MadKaw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:32 am

You may have a parallel import model brought in from Asia where it was injected.?
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R
State: New South Wales

Postby GTi_RSI » Tue Mar 17, 2015 9:15 am

MadKaw wrote:You may have a parallel import model brought in from Asia where it was injected.?

I'n not entirely sure about that, like i said im relatively new to the biking scene and wouldnt know where to look for import plates etc. when i get home i'll take some daylight shots of it and have a closer look at it. Would it be possible to import these from asia/europe seeing as all the info i read assumes those markets had efi for stricter emmisions? Old owner reckons he owned it since brand new so im the second registered ownerkeen to hear more opinions On this!
GTi_RSI

Postby Six Addict » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm

thats definitely not an aussie model... i had the 08... and it had the fuel guage.

i'd say that the owner is telling you a porky about him owning it from new... either that or he owned it new from asia :lol:

australia did not get injection until the 300 i believe
DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 2014
Six Addict
Pinchy
Pinchy

Bike: Ducati

Postby bonester » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:48 pm

Looks like an injected one to me- no choke lever. AFAIK no Aussie ones were injected- 300 was the first. Weird. Swingarm is different to my Ninja 250 arm. Got Two Bros headers and K&N filter for 250 for sale too
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby dickfaber » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:37 pm

its fuel injected, the fi light in the temp gauge a give away.
as said earlier, its an import (would like a look at the plate/white thing above the right foot peg though, may be more info there)

other way is to ring local kawa dealer and ask them to decode the vin, or try using an online vin decoder
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6

Postby GTi_RSI » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:55 pm

cheers guys, it is definietely fuel injected, i looked in behind the fairing and definitely saw a fuel rail in there with 2 injectors. also the dead givaway it was imported is i looked at the vin plate again on the side of the bike this afternoon and in big black letters it shows "used import" LOL. no word on where from though. from what i understand it could be either europe asia or india?

i guess the next question is what's your opinions on the 250 being fuel injected or carby, i hear injected make a smidgeon more power? but also hear carbs are much more responsive and after the ride this afternoon i was finding it hard to cruise steady at lower speeds as the accelerator is very very touchy and jerky/responsive to very very little twist.

heres a pic of the plate. and also uploading a vid to youtube of the startup process with fuel pump buzz and auto choke etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyuOLiG ... e=youtu.be

GTi_RSI

Postby MadKaw » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:31 pm

GTi_RSI wrote:
MadKaw wrote:You may have a parallel import model brought in from Asia where it was injected.?

I'n not entirely sure about that, like i said im relatively new to the biking scene and wouldnt know where to look for import plates etc. when i get home i'll take some daylight shots of it and have a closer look at it. Would it be possible to import these from asia/europe seeing as all the info i read assumes those markets had efi for stricter emmisions? Old owner reckons he owned it since brand new so im the second registered ownerkeen to hear more opinions On this!

:D :D :D .. how about that huge import plate sticker on the side frame..

Its a jan / 09 build, imported into aus by a parallel or grey importer in Dec / 10...

I would prefer injected to carb so I think you've done ok... :D
You may also find there's some additional restrictive emission gear on it, that could be removed (for off road purposes only of course.. )
Dave
2010 Z1000
ex bikes
05 ZX-10R Race Bike - No.77
95 ZXR750R M Race Bike - No. 75
98 ZX9R Race Bike - No. 000
zx6r, zx7r, GPX750, GPX500, lots of KX's.
I ride way too fast to worry about cholesterol
MadKaw
Administrator
Administrator

Bike: ZX10R

Postby GTi_RSI » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:37 pm

MadKaw wrote:
GTi_RSI wrote:

:D :D :D .. how about that huge import plate sticker on the side frame..

Its a jan / 09 build, imported into aus by a parallel or grey importer in Dec / 10...

I would prefer injected to carb so I think you've done ok... :D
You may also find there's some additional restrictive emission gear on it, that could be removed (for off road purposes only of course.. )

lol i know, right infront of my face and i still didnt see it haha, for now i'll be keeping it relatively stock, even considering not slipping on a new exhaust at this point as i think it sounds good as it on throttle. idle on the other hand sounds worse than my old man's 50cc scooter lol.give me a couple of weeks though and i'll be ripping it apart trying to find things to modify and make better, same thing happened to my datsun 120y i initially bought as a cheap runabout/thrash car, 1 year and 10k later and i've gone the full 9 yards with it lol.
GTi_RSI

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion