650rl

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

650rl

Postby ybjls4 » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:40 pm

Hello ppl. Just picked up a 650 in the morning getting ready to get my l's @ the end of jan(yes im keen but im sure those of you who have lost your license for extensive amounts of time would understand). 2010 model with just 2000kms and the bloke has barely driven(or serviced it for that matter only having done the 1000km service 2 years ago) hence I am begging you guys to hook me up with a good, honest mech to look over it as Im sure it has some problems due to inactivity.

I also noticed that it was overheating a bit on the 2hr drive home and could not hear a thermo fan working.

Iam happy to pay whats fair so please let me hear some suggestions.

Mods i am looking at are(in preferential order)
1.two brothers cf slip-on
2.sports handle bars(anything to get them lower) plus rear-sets if req
3.tail tidy kit
4.all other aesthetic gear

Would also be good to hear from some 650rl people man as it does not look like there are alot around forums(maybe im on the wrong one)so hit me up guys

P.S i am in the parramatta nsw area

THANKS
ybjls4

Bike: Ninja 650
State: New South Wales

Re: 650rl

Postby 6maniac » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:51 pm

yada yada ....

Save your modding $$$$$$ for your next bike and do an advanced rider course ..............

oh ... Welcome to the madness .... :roll:
I've spent over 40 years of my life riding bikes .... the rest of it, I wasted ..
If it's got wheels or tits, it's gonna give you trouble !
HCST #2
Team Black '09 ..... R.I.P. - 2011.
Back in Black....2011.
6maniac
KSRC Addict
KSRC Addict

Bike: Z750

Postby tim » Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:47 pm

Welcome :kuda:

Glenn at Allfixed Castle Hill is your man! A bunch of us use him. See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=33417

Does it have a temp readout? If so what temps were you seeing?

You sure know a lot about modding - can you ride? :P
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby ybjls4 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:49 am

lol whats wheres all this doubt as to whether i can "ride" stem from. common question? sounds rhetorical anyhow because i doubt anyones previous answers have persuaded you's one way or the other. I'd like to think about the next bike but considering i am forced to ride (l's restrictions on both licenses) as my only method of transport I would like to have add some form of customisation to it. I'd also like tpo think that the mods listed are generally what people would want and hence not be hard to fetch some resale on

havent even looked through the manual but fiddling through the "mode" button did little to reveal temp figures.

will definately get a mech onto either way but castle hill is a bit of a ride considering possb overheating problems. anyone on the forums work in parra or bankstown?
ybjls4

Postby dickfaber » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:10 am

er6's dont have temp readouts, just a 'its too late' idiot light

was it kettle-ing through the overflow bottle?
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6

Postby tim » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:27 am

Yeah sorry if it was a but condescending, but once you've seen enough learners go down the road on a corner you start to question them spending money on bling and not track days and training.
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby young1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 7:12 am

G,day yljbs4...yep defo get the thermo fan looked at.. I had mine replaced after about 3 months.
Welcome aboard.. tims right get some rider traininig under your belt! I've done plenty of mods 2 mine but then I can ride like Espargaro :D Happy 2 pass on feedback sites & costs....enjoy.
The boy Youngs disciplinary record this week has been nothing but deplorable.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby ybjls4 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:47 pm

dickfaber wrote:er6's dont have temp readouts, just a 'its too late' idiot light

ye definately kettling through overflow bottle. any idea how much the thermo fan cost to replace young1?
ybjls4

Postby young1 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:42 pm

Nah sorry mate mine was a warranty job.
The boy Youngs disciplinary record this week has been nothing but deplorable.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Sparks_333 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:09 pm

Going from the 250 to the 650 I am finding the handlebars to be a bit too high/back as well so I'm looking to get some sport handlebars.

I've got an arrow exhaust fitted to mine, sounds great but not sure what it's worth as it was fitted when I bought the bike.

+1 to spending cash on training before excessive mods, but I don't think a slip-on's excessive...
2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650R Green
2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R Black/Green (Track Bike)
1998 Kawasaki Ninja ZX6R Green - "Fluffy" (Track Bike)

"Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly."
Sparks_333
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby dickfaber » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:18 pm

ybjls4 wrote:
dickfaber wrote:er6's dont have temp readouts, just a 'its too late' idiot light

ye definately kettling through overflow bottle. any idea how much the thermo fan cost to replace young1?

is it the fan or the sensor?

bridge out the fan with 12v to see if it runs. if so, its the sensor or wiring, or maybe the thermostat

(i know that sounds stupid, but hear me out) had a 250 that kettled repeatedly. check the fan motor; ok but still kettling, changed the sensor for the fan motor, and the temperature sender, still kettling. pulled the thermostat, and it immediately fixed it; albeit ran waaay to cold. put a replacement thermostat in and perfect.
what i believe was happening was the thermostat was jammed shut, and the sensor for the fan and the temperature sensor is above the thermostat. meaning it doesnt see way too hot coolant, but the pressure build up and heat goes the wrong way around, blowing the superheated water out of the overflow bottle
I am a bilingual illiterate; i can't read or write in two different languages
dickfaber
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ER6

Postby born green » Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:18 pm

welcome mate.
just do what u want to do to it... then when ready, move on to another kawasaki, and so on, u only live once, been workin fine for me for more than 30 years. forget what the bummer police are saying :lol:
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby bonester » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Having had an overheating issue with one of my ER6ns, I would advise against shorting the fan out as it is switched via relays and connected to the ECU, You could damage the ECU which is huge bucks to fix. The bike logs a fault code and a warning light remains on in the dash if a fault was detected by the ECU. The light even comes on if the fuse blows, or a fan fault is evident. Unless you have a light on don't worry about it.
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby ybjls4 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:47 pm

well the temp and oil lights usually only turn on after stopping, it doesn't usually appear whilst in motion which would indicate to me (someone of limited mech background) that the wind keeps the engine cool whilst at speed and nothing is there to continue the job when things come to a standstill. This coupled with what i previously mentioned that i cannot make out any fan noise makes me think the fan is the problem.

Either way im not goinna try to get touchy on things and would rather someone who knows what they are doing whether at a shop or outside take a look so like i said im still open to suggestions on mechanics.
ybjls4

Postby bonester » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:28 am

Sounds like nothing wrong with it to me. Fan only comes on when bike is really hot.
2 X ZRX1200R 4 X ER6N, GT550, 1988 ZX-10, 4 X GPZ250R, 4 X GPZ900R and GPZ750R :) Yeah I like Kawasakis.
bonester
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion