Safety Camera NSW

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: Safety Camera NSW

Postby suprfast06 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:06 pm

I called up the RTA. Both driver and rider licenses have independent demerit points scheme. Ie, Unrestricted Car = up to 14 demerit points can be accumulated and for a Learner Bike = up to 4 points.

So in my worst case scenario, I will be suspended only on my learner bike license for 3 months.

Still sucks!!
suprfast06

Bike: ZX6R
State: New South Wales

Postby Kermit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm

suprfast06 wrote:I called up the RTA. Both driver and rider licenses have independent demerit points scheme. Ie, Unrestricted Car = up to 14 demerit points can be accumulated and for a Learner Bike = up to 4 points.

So in my worst case scenario, I will be suspended only on my learner bike license for 3 months.

Still sucks!!

Interesting, brother in law was in the same predicament as you & thats the same responce he got from the RTA over the phone, yet later recieved a suspension notice in the mail after the TIN.

The only people who can accumulate 14 demerit points are professional drivers, Unrestricted C = 13 demerits

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/pe ... index.html

Both licenses are not independent, if they were you could be disqualified on one license yet ok ride or drive on another, which ain't going to happen!

Sounds like the person you spoke to over the phone was the same level 1 mindless moron my brother in law encountered.

Wait to you recieve anything first than worry about what's next.

This thread may be of use to you.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby young1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:50 pm

Blackster :i could be wrong but i was of the ussumption that both licences are not concurrent, until both held licences are full licences ...& not subject to L & P plate conditions on either/or.
The boy Youngs disciplinary record this week has been nothing but deplorable.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 650

Postby Kermit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:58 pm

young1 wrote:Blackster :i could be wrong but i was of the ussumption that both licences are not concurrent, until both held licences are full licences ...& not subject to L & P plate conditions on either/or.

So did I, until clarified.

It may not fair to serve a suspension on the drivers license, however suspension or disqualification that occurs to one license is then applicable to all licenses in any motor vehicle class in your name.

Be interested to know more about the alleged offence, time of day, school zone, red light also applicable to the camera etc.
Last edited by Kermit on Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Wattie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:03 pm

blackster wrote:
suprfast06 wrote:I called up the RTA. Both driver and rider licenses have independent demerit points scheme. Ie, Unrestricted Car = up to 14 demerit points can be accumulated and for a Learner Bike = up to 4 points.

Still sucks!!

Interesting, brother in law was in the same predicament as you & thats the same responce he got from the RTA over the phone, yet later recieved a suspension notice in the mail after the TIN.

The only people who can accumulate 14 demerit points are professional drivers, Unrestricted C = 13 demerits

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/usingroads/pe ... index.html

Both licenses are not independent, if they were you could be disqualified on one license yet ok ride or drive on another, which ain't going to happen!

Sounds like the person you spoke to over the phone was the same level 1 mindless moron my brother in law encountered.

Wait to you recieve anything first than worry about what's next.

This thread may be of use to you.

What did he get done for and in car or on bike and what licence did he have?

From what I understand.

Get done for 4 demerit points on bike (L plates) and you loose you bike licence. You will keep car licence if you have at least 4 points up your sleeve. But you will loose the points off car as well.

Get done for say 45km over the limit on your bike (L's) and incur a suspension penalty regardless of points you will lose bike and car licence regardless do demerit points.

Do same offence in your car, loose both licences.
Run out of points on your car licence, lose both licences.

Get it?
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
Proudly Supported by Allfixed Automotive 9634 1455
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Wattie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:21 pm

I'd like to see someone talk their way out of a speed camera fine...

Unless its your 1st offence ever, you've got buckleys
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kermit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 pm

45+ km/h = 6 month suspension
30-45km/h = 3 month suspension

Any speeding fine irrelevant of speed on L's incurs 4 demerits equaling a 3 month suspension.

His license

L's = Rider
C = Unrestricted driver

On his bike he got done for doing 117km/h (80km/h limit on Ls) on the M5 at 12am, also recieved a fine for no L plate visible at the time.

He got dished with a 3 month suspension on both licenses.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Kermit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:50 pm

Wattie wrote:I'd like to see someone talk their way out of a speed camera fine...

X2, hope for leniency, provided the offence is not outside the SDRO exclusion criteria or the magistrate gives you a section 10 (1) (a).
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Wattie » Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:53 pm

blackster wrote:45+ km/h = 6 month suspension

Any speeding fine irrelevant of speed on L's incurs 4 demerits equaling a 3 month suspension.

His license

L's = Rider
C = Unrestricted driver

On his bike he got done for doing 117km/h (80km/h limit on Ls) on the M5 at 12am, also recieved a fine for no L plate visible at the time.

Yep, he got a suspension because of speed, not because of accumulation of points.

Young1 won't uncur a suspension of his car licence if he has 4 points up his sleeve
Wattie #55
ZX10R "The Crim"
ZX10R "Gumby"
sam & srt, survived
RGM, left a message
Wattie
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Kermit » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm

Wattie wrote:
blackster wrote:45+ km/h = 6 month suspension

His license

L's = Rider
C = Unrestricted driver

Yep, he got a suspension because of speed, not because of accumulation of points.

My brother in law is a bit of a douche, I guess that it partly explains why his in the process of becoming an ex brother in law.

Young1 won't uncur a suspension of his car licence if he has 4 points up his sleeve

blackster wrote:Be interested to know more about the alleged offence, time of day, school zone, red light also applicable to the camera etc.
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Postby Daisy » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:15 pm

We had the same confusion in Tassie when they brought in the L1, L2, P1-2 thing. A lot of people asked what's the gee oh, and got lots of different answers.
If you have a full car licence and a bike learners they are separate. Once on your Ps it is one licence, so four points on your bike and you're disqualified.
dutchy wrote:White bikes are awesome :grin:
Daisy
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: GTR
State: South Australia

Postby Gosling1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:15 pm

Wattie wrote:I'd like to see someone talk their way out of a speed camera fine...

they get challenged all the time in Victoria - just last week a motorist won a court case against the operators of some red-light cameras. There were 7 cameras that were all found to be defective. The timing of the orange light is meant to be 3.5 sec's under aussie standards, these lights were timed at 3.0 seconds. Judge threw the fine out and awarded (substantial) costs against the operator.

Speed cameras in NSW are no different. Many of them don't have current calibration certificates. Operators (like the old RTA) just rely on the apathy of most Aussies who are too lazy to question or challenge the fines they get.

You Gotta Fight the Powers That Be !!!

:lol:
".....shut the gate on this one Maxie......it's the ducks guts !!............."
Gosling1
Team Donut
Team Donut

Bike: Z900
State: ACT

Postby seiko1 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:08 pm

Gosling1 wrote:You Gotta Fight the Powers That Be !!! :lol:

Wonder who thats aimed at? :lol:
In SA they are not even required to be calibrated.....ever :shock:
Policy - Find something simple.....and Complicate it!
seiko1
Apprentice Post Whore :-)
Apprentice Post Whore :-)

Bike: ZX14R
State: Victoria

Postby MrWasabi » Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:28 pm

Speaking from experience, i had my P's (riders) suspended and my full (driver) untouched a few years back. Confirmed when a copper pulled me over a few months after getting suspended, but i was driving. I asked him and he said my license had checked out but he noticed i had a suspended riders permit.

Checked my demerit points on my full license and they were untouched.
RTA explained it that i lost my provisional license to ride because the offence was on the bike. Once the P turns into an unrestricted license, it is then considered one license and with the 12 demerit points.
When on your L and P's they each class holds its own points, as they are considered permits to ride so are penalised differently. Otherwise you would have a max of 12 points on your L's
Mistakes:
Learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make all of them yourself.

http://www.sentechcomputers.com.au
MrWasabi
Team Kuda
Team Kuda

Postby young1 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:02 am

Wasabi is spot on...
The boy Youngs disciplinary record this week has been nothing but deplorable.
12 650R Fully Juiced.
young1
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Ninja 650

PreviousNext

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion