Buying first bike

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Buying first bike

Postby Basslover » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:57 am

Hey Guys.

Im new to the riding scene and am looking at buying my first bike!!!

I have been lookng at the Ninja 250r just wondering if this is a good starter bike. i have also been told to buy a naked bike as i will drop it a few times is this correct or should i ignore that advice.

Thanks guys (also any suggestions on different starter bikes are more then welcome.)

Cheers
Basslover

Bike: Don't have one
State: Queensland

Re: Buying first bike

Postby mick_dundee » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:52 pm

Your first bike you are bound to drop a few times, it's part of the learning curve, I certainly wouldn't be looking at a brand new bike if I was in your shoes but that's your call. Ninja 250r not a bad bike to start out on, if you really want a faired bike something like a ZZR or GSX/GPZ 250 would be my recommendation (assuming you want a 250) both have been around for ever, plenty out there and plenty of spares available.
A good mate will bail you out of jail, a true mate will be sitting in the cell next to you saying "Damn, we fucked up!!!"
mick_dundee
Team Naked
Team Naked

Bike: Suzuki
State: Victoria

Postby GPZ_Jim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Ninja twofiddy is a great starter bike but don't go past the gpx and zzr 250s which all share the same engine :) depends on how important shiny and new is to ya! :) naked bikes generally do handle falling over easier, have a look around for ER5s very dependable and capable of going well beyond 100000km also ER6n has many fans its a relative newcomer on the scene but be prepared for a big purchase price even for 2nd hand ones, heaps of options for ya to ponder!

If you do go for a new ninja 250 consider getting crash knobs put on which can save ya from costly reapirs in a whoopsie, and lastly leave enough $$ for proper riding gear :kuda:
GPZ_Jim
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500
State: New South Wales

Postby Basslover » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:13 pm

Thanks guys,
I dont need a new bike i am more then happy to buy a 2nd hand one so i wil be looking into the bikes you suggested. would you have a suggestion on how much i should spend for my first bike.

thanks
Basslover

Postby GPZ_Jim » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:21 pm

If you have say a 5k budget then that would let ya spend 3 on a bike which would definately get a good gpx,zzr or maybe a ninja 250 then spend a grand or so on ya riding gear then ya got on road costs like insurance n stuff hopefully some change left :) you could go cheaper but usually the budget offerings need some attention depends if ya mind spending some weekends tinkering on ya new purchase :kuda:
GPZ_Jim
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: GPz500

Postby Basslover » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:32 pm

ok cool, i have a 5 - 6 grand budget for the lot so thats good. so far everything seems good cant wait to get riding haha!
Basslover

Postby MAXUMIS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 1:53 pm

GPZ_Jim wrote:If you have say a 5k budget then that would let ya spend 3 on a bike which would definately get a good gpx,zzr or maybe a ninja 250 then spend a grand or so on ya riding gear then ya got on road costs like insurance n stuff hopefully some change left :) you could go cheaper but usually the budget offerings need some attention depends if ya mind spending some weekends tinkering on ya new purchase :kuda:

I totaly agree with this statement!! Make sure you get good riding gear first as it will be the one saving you to a major degree.. ;)
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Kermit » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:00 pm

If I had to start all over again, I would bypass the 2fiddy category & go with a used ER6L or Ninja 650L (both LAMS), one because its better to learn/get used to a bigger bike, extra torque is handy for longer journeys and you wont get bored as quickly with a 2fiddy; which you will experience especially if you have to do 3 years of P's.

Welcome by the way and happy hunting......
Kermit
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX6R

Postby marksesh » Mon Apr 09, 2012 4:59 pm

blackster wrote:If I had to start all over again, I would bypass the 2fiddy category & go with a used ER6L or Ninja 650L (both LAMS), one because its better to learn/get used to a bigger bike, extra torque is handy for longer journeys and you wont get bored as quickly with a 2fiddy; which you will experience especially if you have to do 3 years of P's.

Welcome by the way and happy hunting......

Agreed. A lot more comfy as well
Team 4 minutes behind everyone else.
marksesh
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: ZX12R

Postby Basslover » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:56 pm

cheers guys i like the ER6 nd the ninja 650 but both are a bit out of my price range! sadly! haha.
Basslover

Postby pittster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:23 pm

Basslover wrote:cheers guys i like the ER6 nd the ninja 650 but both are a bit out of my price range! sadly! haha.

HYOSUNG GT650's :)

Well i'm going to copy paste my remarks from another forums thread I posted in but having gone through my L,P's & Blacks on a De-restricted Hyosung GT650RL over 4 years it may be relevant.

Just another bike to consider They can be had for a great price. The fairings help in a crash (trust me :)) This bike in LAMS form has the ability to have all the power unlocked I'm not saying you should but its a good option when you get more experince.

Having 65RWHP I think the 650's full power is perfect for a learner I had a zzr250 briefly and it was dangerously slow.

Depends on the person riding you will die just as quick on a 250 as a 1000.

Anyway lazy posts FTW

"Well just to add my opinion if your rocking a 130kg frame then a Hyosung GT650 is the way to go, get one between 06 & 09 LAMS approved Carby models restricted to 33Hp. You can have the full 80Hp unleashed if you buy a Suzuki SV650 Carby sliders for the carby and swap them.

This is exactly what i had on my L/P's great bike full weight (200hg wet) 65RWHP 240kph top speed, Could double very easily . Mine was reliable just had to change the cheese brake pads on it. Had mine for 4 years sold for $500 less than what i bought it for. These can be had for 5k are under 5years old and have good resale/power.

The only thing against them is the bad name HYOSUNG inherited due to the valve failures in the 04/05 models."

"I recokon there alright too here is my old one and you cant tell me that's not a nice bike for your L's that has 80Hp for 5k

Image"

It's only my opinion based on my ownership. People get lemons but that happens with all brands. I get sick of people bagging out Hyo's, most have never owned one let alone rode a bike or touched a spanner.

Image""
Kawasaki ZX-10R 2008 - R77 Yoshi full system, PC3 Custom Mapped, Benneli bar end mirrors, Puig Double Bubble, Radiator protector, CircuitOne Mirror blanks, Pazzo levers, Shift-I, etc
pittster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Nelso » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:29 pm

My first and only question is 'how big are you'? If you're a small fry then the advice will be completely different than if you are a big unit.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby pittster » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:34 pm

Nelso wrote:My first and only question is 'how big are you'? If you're a small fry then the advice will be completely different than if you are a big unit.

I'm 5"7 and tippy toe on all bike this was my biggest struggle on my L's (still is :)). Slow speed confidence is hard when you barely touch the ground the 250 are generally lower and more confidence inspiring.
Kawasaki ZX-10R 2008 - R77 Yoshi full system, PC3 Custom Mapped, Benneli bar end mirrors, Puig Double Bubble, Radiator protector, CircuitOne Mirror blanks, Pazzo levers, Shift-I, etc
pittster
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Basslover » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:38 pm

cheers man

thats a nice looking bike and i have been told by number of people now to go with a 650. i will be putting this bike into my list for sure thanks man!
Basslover

Postby Basslover » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:41 pm

My first and only question is 'how big are you'? If you're a small fry then the advice will be completely different than if you are a big unit.

Im 6ft and still growing haha, and just incase weight has something to do with it aswell i weigh 80kg.
Basslover

Next

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion