Opinions please...sell my damaged bike?

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Opinions please...sell my damaged bike?

Postby Trox » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:10 pm

I bought my 2006 GPX250 November last year, when I bought it there was an issue with a buckled wheel which I had straightened. After a lowside about a month ago :shock: going for a couple short ridessince and it not feeling right, I took it to the mechanic. He believes that the frame has a bit of a twist in it (whether this was already present before the lowside and the lowside has compounded it or I lost the front end due to the surface and have caused the twist is unclear).

I have been given a rough estimate of 1k to have it rectified, given that; the bike cost 3.5k, I don't really have funds at the moment and will be going on to my full license come mid July; it doesn't seem feesible.

I will be going to pick it up in 2 days so I have something to ride on the road albeit with zero confidence in the it and thus wont be doing anything more than putting around.

This is what I am thinking and would like some opinions/options please;

My conscience tells me I simply can not sell a bike with issues without being honest about them so I'm thinking Ill put it up for sale for 2.5k and advise that it requires the frame to be straightened which should be roughly 1k

The other thought is to break it down and sell as parts (this would be painful for me - as it would anyone but I also lack the room to be able to do this too)

Haven't looked in to it but what about insurance (I have full comp)???

Cheers in advance ;)
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z750
State: New South Wales

Re: Opinions please...sell my damaged bike?

Postby MAXUMIS » Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Mate it depends on what you want,if it was me i would save that 1k for a decent bike! if you can handle it for four months. ;)
life starts at 200 kph!
MAXUMIS
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX12R

Postby itybitypiece » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:21 pm

personally im with maxiumis on this ,i would save the money ,and sell the bike whole if you want to get rid of quickly,though yes you will get less overall for it then selling parts off which could take years.
2011 candy burnt orange 650rl ninja
itybitypiece

Bike: ER6

Postby tim » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:28 pm

What's the condition of your tyres? How many k's on them?
2008 ZX6R Special Edition
tim
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby h.b.bear » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:31 pm

save the grand then when ready trade the bike on whatever,then it becomes the dealers problem
h.b.bear
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZRX

Postby loubre » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:39 pm

I'm with bear on this one
2005 BMW R1200RT
2012 ZX6R
loubre
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: Northern Territory

Postby Nelso » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:41 pm

h.b.bear wrote:save the grand then when ready trade the bike on whatever,then it becomes the dealers problem

That was my suggestion before he knew the frame was bent.
Green '08 ZRX1200 Road bike
Green 2012 ZX10 Track/race bike
Green '89 H1 ZXR750 race bike
'89 RMX250 motard race bike
2015 YZ450
2017 KTM EXC300
Nelso
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby Trox » Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:20 pm

tim wrote:What's the condition of your tyres? How many k's on them?

I picked it up today, they've put a new tyre on the front so that's brand new (and has made it feel much much better but still not right), the back tyre I don't know how many k's are on it but the centre has probably about 4mm left in it.

Nelso wrote:
h.b.bear wrote:save the grand then when ready trade the bike on whatever,then it becomes the dealers problem

Sorry Nelso, you i know I take on board what you have to say I just wanted some more reassurance....also I think this is what I will be doing too. the mechanic ressured me as well in that the bike is fine...as long as I am holding on to the handlebars :shock: :lol: This also means that is was my fault that I came off and not so much the bike itself :oops:

cheers guys
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z750

Postby Phil » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:53 pm

Trox wrote:
tim wrote:What's the condition of your tyres? How many k's on them?

I picked it up today, they've put a new tyre on the front so that's brand new (and has made it feel much much better but still not right), the back tyre I don't know how many k's are on it but the centre has probably about 4mm left in it.

Nelso wrote:

Sorry Nelso, you i know I take on board what you have to say I just wanted some more reassurance....also I think this is what I will be doing too. the mechanic ressured me as well in that the bike is fine...as long as I am holding on to the handlebars :shock: :lol: This also means that is was my fault that I came off and not so much the bike itself :oops:

cheers guys

Sure it wasnt the twigs fault ;)

I'd say there alot of learner bikes in the same condition (a bit bent) just ride it and get a better one when your ready. It will make the new one feel much betterer :lol:
Phil

2018 Z900RS
2017 Z125 Pro

HCC - Road Captain
Phil
Philthy
Philthy

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion