5ft nothing

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

5ft nothing

Postby Jai-Dee » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:20 pm

I just thought id post this as it may help other short riders.
I bought my Ninja this yr and being too short I had it lowered. This envolved a new stand aswel so it leans quite a bit...too much in fact.
I just have to say now im finding trouble with it being on such a lean with parking (when its hot she will sink a good inch into the ashphelt so more lean) and even down to filling her up. Its not the best idea I had to have her lowered as i just found out about having the seat mod which would have been the better option. Im seriously thinking of having it lifted up a notch now but I also concerned that it will still have the lower stand??? If i have it lifted up anymore then one notch I wont be able to sit on her to reverse and such things as i cant touch the ground with anything but the tips of my toes :?
If anyone has had the seat mod done before and knows anything about it I would love to hear.

Cheers :D

ps my advice to anyone short out there....dont get your bike lowered
Jai-Dee

Bike: Ninja 250
State: New South Wales

Re: 5ft nothing

Postby robracer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:31 pm

So you had the dogbones changed? or just the preload in the springs?
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZX6R

Postby laidback » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:15 pm

WTF Rob...what do you mean...cut the poodles legs off at the knees... :twisted: :lol:
Roady - ZRX1200R
Tracky - ZX9R F1 Team Jerry Atric

I've reached the age where 'happy hour' is a nap.
laidback
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Bike: ZRX

Postby born green » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:16 pm

laidback wrote:WTF Rob...what do you mean...cut the poodles legs off at the knees... :twisted: :lol:

:) :) :) like that...
96 ZX7R roady
07 ZX10R tracky. to many mods to list here!
95 tickford XR6,
SO MANY KAWASAKI'S SO LITTLE TIME
born green
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R
State: Victoria

Postby ducati_paul » Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:24 pm

So you go from this

to this

:kuda:
2012 Royal Enfield Military for the Road
ducati_paul
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: ZX10R

Postby Trox » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Hmmm, I thought I was a shorty :) but I haven't had trouble with the 2fiddy. I do have a concern when I go for a bigger bike next year tho and think I will be in a similar sitch as u r now Jai-Dee, advice u have is appreciated and anyone else that can offer any will b great ;) I have a few Q's but I wont steal ur thread, hope u get something that works without sacrificing performance/suspension etc
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z750

Postby Jai-Dee » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:12 pm

Rob yes I had the dogbones and the preload done.
Turns out i made a call to a bike shop today that does seat shaving but it seems that my lil ninja doesnt have enough padding to make a difference... so im either going to have to stretch a bit or suck it up. Maybe ill go see if i can have the stand adjusted somehow .....
Trox your right mate :D any advice you can get out of this take and ask away....being short poses probs and I know im going to come across this all the time..
That is pretty hilarious Ducati_paul :lol:
Jai-Dee

Postby robracer » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:43 am

First step is a trip to the wreckers n pick up a second hand stand, If its cast alloy go to some one that welds aluminium & have them modify to your specs, same deal if its steel, most steel suppliers will cut & weld on site, best thing is you have the original ready to go if you change the set up to sell ;)
robracer
VIP MEMBER
VIP MEMBER

Postby Jai-Dee » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:17 am

Sounds like the game plan thanx Rob. When i had it done they kept my original stand im pretty sure. Ill have a poke round and get it done i think.
Cheers for all the advice :D
Jai-Dee

Postby loubre » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:00 am

Have a friend who has a ZX6R (09), she's 5'2", had her seat shaved 1" and her boots resoled with an extra 1/2", she say's she now feels confident at slow speeds and pushing bike around (she was always comfortable once her feet were on the pegs lol), dicky side stands seems to be a modern Kwaka trait, both hers and the 010 ZX6R I'm riding seem to lean waaay over!
2005 BMW R1200RT
2012 ZX6R
loubre
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

State: Northern Territory

Postby Jai-Dee » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:03 pm

thanx for that loubre...gives me more to think of :kuda:
Jai-Dee

Postby melbflyer » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Hi guys,
I'm very new to riding and this forum.
I'm yet to buy a bike after completing the learners at HART. I'm just wondering though, how much of a difference does the weight of the bike play in the whole equation especially for a newby like me.
I'm 165cm, 80kg. I'm able to get both feet on the ground but only up to the balls of my feet. I was thinking of the ER6NL because of the attractive price and ABS (also looks good).

Just concerned that if it starts falling over, I won't be able to keep it under control but opinions differ. Some say that a heavier bike is more stable and safer because of the wider tires, also less twitchy. Any advice? Should I just consider a 250?

melbflyer
melbflyer

Bike: It's not worth Mentioning

Postby dilligaf » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:33 pm

melbflyer wrote:Hi guys,
I'm very new to riding and this forum.
I'm yet to buy a bike after completing the learners at HART. I'm just wondering though, how much of a difference does the weight of the bike play in the whole equation especially for a newby like me.
I'm 165cm, 80kg. I'm able to get both feet on the ground but only up to the balls of my feet. I was thinking of the ER6NL because of the attractive price and ABS (also looks good).

Just concerned that if it starts falling over, I won't be able to keep it under control but opinions differ. Some say that a heavier bike is more stable and safer because of the wider tires, also less twitchy. Any advice? Should I just consider a 250?

melbflyer

Traditional way into sport bikes is to start on a 250 and upgrade once you can ride the tits off it.
I had a ER6N (not L) for a few years and its an easy bike to ride but I found it a bit unstable at low
speeds. Did everything moderately well without being brilliant at any one thing. Depends what you want
to do. For commuting and touring the ER6 is great and its not too bad in the twisties.
That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba.... Hunter S. Thompson.
dilligaf
KSRC Contributor
KSRC Contributor

Bike: Z900

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion