going for P'S test

Discussion area for Newer Riders and LAM's bikes including the Ninja 250

Moderator: Six Addict

Re: going for P'S test

Postby Trox » Thu May 10, 2012 7:57 pm

Throttle control, body position on top of bike (as opposed to cornering), look at where you want to end up (same as cornering), rear brake, clutch and smoooooooth. Practice and feel the bike/manoeuvre ;)
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: Z750
State: New South Wales

Postby loubre » Fri May 11, 2012 8:31 pm

Trox wrote:Throttle control, body position on top of bike (as opposed to cornering), look at where you want to end up (same as cornering), rear brake, clutch and smoooooooth. Practice and feel the bike/manoeuvre ;)

Yep exactly the way and I'll repeat it, practice practice, it'll come just be patient and practice :D
2005 BMW R1200RT
2012 ZX6R
loubre
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R
State: Northern Territory

Postby TyM2Go » Sat May 12, 2012 12:45 am

quick question, when you mean top of the bike as opposed to cornering), i assume u mean up close to the tank with knees hugging the tank? if so that is where the bike tends to tip over when i try it. I do how ever for some reason don't tend to do this when i am holding the clutch in near its friction point <- would i be able to do this in the test?
To be old and wise,first you need to be young and stupid
2011 Ninja 250r SE - Poison Ivy

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮the police.
TyM2Go
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Ninja 250

Postby Trox » Sat May 12, 2012 5:37 pm

No, what I mean is your body is in a more upright postion (not necessarily bolt upright) - leaning the opposite way to your turn....your body should be leaning in to the corner when your cornering - the direction the bike is leaning. Because you are going at a much slower speed for the u-turn you need to place the centre of gravity further over to the tyres so it doesn't come out to far from your base (tyres), when your cornering (at a higher velocity) the centrifugal force* prevents the bike from tipping.

centre of gravity out to far from base (body position and bike lean angle) = tip
centrifugal force (velocity) = push bike upright
bike lean angle = corner tightness

*centrifugal force - the "apparent" outward force of a circular motion eg. car going around a corner and it's inside wheels lifting off the ground (same as pushing your upright on a bike) or water spraying off a spinning frizbee.
You can do it however you like in the test as long as you don't go outside the lines or put your foot/feet down (demerit points awarded-I think you can accrue 9, don't know how many you get for each mistake), using the friction point can help - sorry left that out ;)

Hope I wasn't to scientific and it makes sense :?
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby TyM2Go » Sun May 13, 2012 1:07 am

i am from a science back ground even though i talk like a teenage high school-er.
Alright good understood that much easier will give it a go tomorrow. A quick question again how much length is given to do the u turn? ( if possible to answer in parking spot lengths would be very helpful as i am currently practicing there rather then on the streets

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮the police.
TyM2Go
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby mitch92 » Sun May 13, 2012 6:59 am

Do you guys have to do the figure eight exercise?
mitch92

State: Queensland

Postby stetto » Sun May 13, 2012 7:41 am

U turns 6m from memory
stetto
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Bike: ZX6R

Postby TyM2Go » Sun May 13, 2012 11:15 am

thanks for that heading out in a few to practice.
All though i was thinking, i should just rent a dirt bike since doing u turns on those are piss easy from what i have been told

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮the police.
TyM2Go
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Trox » Sun May 13, 2012 4:46 pm

mitch92 wrote:Do you guys have to do the figure eight exercise?

stetto wrote:U turns 6m from memory

Figure 8, maybe the cone weave? :?
6.1m actually :)

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/licensing/rel ... tions.html
http://www.wheel-skills.com.au/RTA-moto ... -test-MOST

TyM2Go wrote:i should just rent a dirt bike since doing u turns on those are piss easy from what i have been told

Possibly easier but you should be able to to do it on the ninja 2fiddy (I did and so did another in my test too), practice and you be fine without having to spend money hiring. :kuda:
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby TyM2Go » Tue May 15, 2012 2:23 am

Just saw those test demo's in your last post. I was thinking it was gonna be easier now it looks much harder, more practice on the low speed i guess

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮the police.
TyM2Go
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Trox » Tue May 15, 2012 7:33 pm

Dont stress mate, it'll feel a bit awkward to start with but with a bit of practice it'll be no trouble, just do a little practice. throw some cones (or twigs) out in a quiet place and spend some time on it.
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby Naked Twin » Tue May 15, 2012 10:27 pm

On the day of my test (about 10 years ago) I spent the morning on the bike practicing what we had done in the L's course, uturn, left had turn, emergency stop etc.

On arrival at the test, my clutch basket on the xr400 decided to give way, broke he adjuster screw so the clutch was wound all the way in, which in effect meant no clutch. I asked the instructor for help and his answer was you should bring a working bike, in short bad luck (thanks very much you happy c...). Of course I had taken the tool kit off the bike for some reason so had nothing with me to fix. Thankfully another rider on the test had a couple of tools on his bike. I managed to jam the adjuster so that it held the clutch out, however not in my usual position felt weird but at least when I pulled the clutch in it was disengaged which was the opposite of what was happening.

I passed the test no worries, not because I was better than anyone else, but because I had practiced and was prepared for what we had to pass. I look back and think that the problem probably helped as I didn't worry about the test itself as I was waiting for my dodgy fix to break so I think I just did what I had been taught and practiced without really thinking about it.

Don't worry about it, you might just surprise yourself with how you go. Oh and don't show up on a 1000 and do a wheelie in the ride like I heard some idiot did. Surprisingly he failed, who would have thought!
Naked Twin
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Bike: Suzuki

Postby TyM2Go » Wed May 16, 2012 4:27 pm

Well i just got back. Some ridiculous news out of the 8 people in my group (and an addition side group of 6 people who failed previously) 3 got sent home from my group within the 1st hour
First guy kept leaning against the bike rather then with it. He was given 3 warnings and then told to go home
Second guy, while in stationary position (sitting down and doing nothing) kept using the front break instead of holding down just the rear brake after 3 warnings sent home)
Third guy came with a really fucked up looking bike is the best way to put it ( rust and corrosion all over the place, back break lever (made out of cast iron) was bent beyond belief, the ball thing on the end of your clutch/brake leaver was missing, he was sent to mcas in the break to get everything fixed. He took to long and ended up re-booking for another time but still wasted his 170+ 150-160(for renting the bike)

In the practice session i put my foot down 2 or 3 times all up ( mainly at the cone weaving and the uturn but still kept it within the lines) kept doing my head checks everything bang on, to the point the instructor made a bet with another instructor for 20 bucks that id pass without any fuck ups.
Test Time
I went and sat on my bike while repeating to my self head checks got a massive cramp he told me walk it of, i did, got back on the bike forgot to do the head check lost 3 points. cone weaving time i put my foot down once 2 points there. The final fuckery of the day was the uturn instead of looking to the side where i was going i looked down trying to avoid the yellow lines but again visual sr (if you would like to call it that considering i am not really trying to survive) made me screw up.
in conclusion
-EVERYONE FAILED
- 3 people got sent home
-Instructor lost 20 bucks again that was kinda my fault
-5/6 additional side group failed i was to busy being pissed of that i didn't wait to see the last guy hopefully he passed
-1 of the guys locked up the bike in the quick stop while at the same time turning the handle bar all the way to the left doing a stoppie and he broke his wrist & fell of
- 1 of the guys dropped his bike cracked his tail fairings and damaged his exhaust (ducati 699 or 639).

Anyways i will be heading out to the rta tomorrow and book again for the earliest slot while this is still fresh in my mind but ill leave a day or two for practice.

I know the main things that i am doing wrong, but if you guys have any advice tips that helped you out please let me know.
So far for the next test i will have music on as it helps me a lot, either that or a repeated message of just head check just playing back over and over again if its allowed that is.

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮the police.
TyM2Go
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

Postby Trox » Wed May 16, 2012 5:56 pm

WTF!?!
That's one messed up day :shock:
I'm curious, u said u lost 3 points, then 2 points, then screwed the u turn.....that's 5 points total so u still had 4 more before a failure.....did u go outside the line as well as put your foot down?? otherwise the way I see it u should have passed (you get 9) :?
Anyway for your future attempt I don't think I can say much more than before but just practice in the mean time....U've got the course and measurements, lay it out somewhere and practice
Sorry u didn't get it this time, hopefully you will next time or at least (by the sounds of it) have a more reasonable instructor :kuda:
Road; 08 Z750
Track; 02 ZX6
Trox
KSRC Member
KSRC Member

Postby TyM2Go » Wed May 16, 2012 6:20 pm

yea i went outside the line that's what made it to 9(safe zone is 8 fail=9). That being said instructor couldn't believe it :lol: hes was okay cant really blame the instructor

╭∩╮(︶︿︶)╭∩╮the police.
TyM2Go
KSRC Regular
KSRC Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Newer Riders and LAMS Bike Discussion